In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lake Ozark Fishing

Comments

• Liv2FishLiv2Fish Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good start to a good morning now sitting waiting for the storm to pass. Something about lighting and fishing that really does not fit together.Started off real good caught a good one on a wacky worm and another one on a jig. Its the waiting part that bugs me. Have a great day and thanks all of the Vets for what you have done.

Good Fishing
    Ed
    www.bigedsguideservice.com
  • 317wc317wc Member Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey guys, thought I would pop in and say hello, the fishing forums have been dead lately. I've been out fishing here and there, just for relaxation. Been catching some nice bass, mostly 12-15", althought I have hooked a couple (landed one) around 5 pounds. I have a small secret spot on a local drinking water reservoir, it is a sort of crescent shaped cove, one end has a small stream coming into a shallower section of it, the other end of the cove is lined with a large underwater rock wall, between these two features is about 75 yards wide by about 50 deep, and overall depth is anywhere from 1-5". Also been catching a lot of bluegills, they are a lot of fun on lighter gear and it is nice to have something to fall back on when the bass fishing is slow. Been getting eaten alive by mosquitos and there has been a lot of control spraying lately to knock their numbers back down. Its been so hot here lately the fish are holding deep, I am going to go out for an hour to fish and pick up some trash, I should be able to get something, I have not hit the secret spot in a couple weeks so it should be game on, hope you guys are still slamming them. I have been doing well on the usual topwater gear but also good on the bluegills just jigging a small worm under a couple split-shot. It is simple fishing but sometimes, that's all I want. Also saw a friend of a friend land a 16" Brook trout, which is the PA state fish, and here, 16" is very good size.
    edited November -1
    Well good morning world of fisherman.. Been without a computer for some time and working bunches. Fishing tons but it is really a different year at the Lake of the Ozarks. The bite has been totally different and the lake is the clearest I have ever seen. I have no idea but it is really strange. I hope everyone is having a great summer and catching a boat load of fish. Time to go to work Clinets just pulled into drive.
    edited November -1
    Been a while since i have posted here . I have had a super busy summer fishing and a home remodel projsct going at the same time. I just updated my website with some of the fish that has been caught this summer. I have lost some pictures somehow but here a few to take a look at. I have been catching most of the good fish in 15 to 25 foot of water. The fish have been hitting a shaker head and a worm.

Good Fishing
    Ed
    www.bigedsguideservice.com
    edited November -1
    Fishing every day and the weather has been hot. Much hotter than the fishing action. i guess the dog days of summer are here. Deep water has been giving up a few good ones the past few days. Beats sitting in the house I guess..
    edited November -1
    fishing has started to really pick uyp here at the lake. Been catching some really nice bass and lots of whites. Its almost like a fall pattern is getting underway a little early. Fishing this summer has not been great but just OK. The lake has been down and they have not been running mush water through the dam. when they generate the fish turn on really good. I hope everyone had a great summer and caught all the fish that they wanted.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope you had a good Summer too!
    What's next?
  • bigbill0910bigbill0910 Member Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Big Ed, Are you wearing your "Rattle Traps" out? Post and tell us how you are!!!
    edited November -1
    Been fishing but not as much as usual. Guide trips have slowed down and I am doing a remodel on my house. Dang I hate to be laying floors when the fishing weather is still done. Trying to get some things caught up around here before I have my wrist worked on. Trying to have the lowest level on our side done before Thanksgiving. But I have still some good fishing few guide trips and deer season before then. The fish are starting to come shallow and I have been catching them on twitch baits and buzz baits.
    edited November -1
    Good morning all! I hope all of you had a great Thanksgiving. I ate so much they had to close down a grocery store. Not been fishing much but because of a hand issue but hope to make it out today to give it a try. The guide business is dead this time of the year and it is easy to do home projects rather than go out in the cold.Ed you lier you are to busy watching TV. Today I have cabin fever so out I go as soon as it gets 40 . Some big fish are being caught on spinnerbaits and buzz baits and of course the Rig but I think i will stick with my stick bait. The water is clear and in the low 50s. have a great day!
    edited November -1
    Just typed a big old message and it erased it on me. OH WELL ! Hey take a kid fishing and have a great weekend. You need a break and the outdoors is where it is.
    edited November -1
    This year the fishing has been really weird here at the lake. Yesterday they bit pretty good in the afternoon but that has not been the case. The tournament weigh at has really slipped in fact this weekend it only took 18 pound and some change to win and a little over 10 to get a check. UNHEARD of here at the lake in mid March. One angler did hook a 3.74 pound Crappie while bass fishing. Thats a dandy in my book. Oh well going out today to try it again...... Terrible Life wonderful wife! good fishing everyone.

Big Ed
    bigedsguideservice.com
  • 317wc317wc Member Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad you are catching them, someone has to! Most of the lakes here are still frozen over. Creeks are raging with spring run-off, trout season opens on April 1 except for some special regulation streams. I have a new fly-rod I am going to try out this year.

Also, me and a buddy, went in together on an old fiberglass canoe. A Lenape Chief, about 15 feet. It has some cracks that will need to be repaired, then a good sanding and cleaning, new seats and braces, and it will be good to go. The seats that were on it when we got it, were old craptastic, scrounged plywood. Today I made the 2 braces, out of straight grained Douglas Fir. Turned out really nice and they look like a million bucks compared to what was there. $25 was too good of a price to pass up.

I agree, a 3.74 crappie would be a trophy fish all on its on.
    edited November -1
    Come on Big Ed!! tell us about those spinner baits and "Rouges"
    edited November -1
    As of late the fish have been biting here at Beautiful Lake of the Ozarks. Really was stinkie for the first part of the year. Been catching them on a stick bait and a small shaky head. Did catch a good one on a wacky worm the other day. Been real busy guiding and home projects.

Water Temp upper 60s and the lake is gin clear.
    edited November -1
    Crazy weekend here at the lake ! The first big boat weekend so that means no more smooth water. It was cool early but at least it wasn't raining. The fish are active and can be caught on a * and A shaker head. Everyone have a safe weekend.
    edited November -1
    Been slapping them here at the lake. With all of the rain they have been running lots of water through the dam and that turns them on like donkey kong. You can take a plastic worm hit the main lake points and have a blast. Good fishing to all.. Recently picked up a sponsor with Lews and they really have some fine products at a decent price. if any of you are Lake Link users please be sure to check me out I am one of there Pro Staff Writers. This site gives you fishing information for a lot of states and lakes. Tell them I sent you..

Ed Franko
    Big Ed's Guide Service
    edited November -1
    Big Ed, I have loved Lews reels and "Speed Sticks" for a long time.
    Is it the same product as when it was so popular in the '70's
    edited November -1
    No they have really upgraded their product line . The old speed spool was a gem I had Two of them. They were stolen out of my boat along with a speed stick and countless other things several years back. Those seed spools were almost too smooth. The reels they have today are super lite and built strong. They also have a great bunch of rods also. Very happy with the rods that i have gotten so far good stuff for sure.
    edited November -1
    More great days of fishing ! The amount of rain we are getting is forcing them to run water through the dam almost constantly. When the water is running the fish are biting. All you have to do is drag a shaker head or a big worm on the points and the rest will be history. However you need to know what points are the good ones.
    edited November -1
    Been fishing a bunch and catching them real good. Had a 6/6 big old bug eye molly hod bass day before yesterday and want to catch more of them... With all the rain we have had they shut the lake down to no wake for a day . CAN YOU SAY HEAVEN Well they dropped down enough to go crazy again so off the water I am for a few days... Hey Happy forth of July to all you guys!
    edited November -1
    During the last high water the fishing was so hot the fish were sweating. Caught 30 to 40 bass every day on a good old worm. Fun fun Fun.. Now the weather has gotten real good anfd hot and the fishing has slowed but they still can be caught.
    edited November -1
    Fishing has slowed way down here at the lake. So has the guide business also. I guess it is a blessing because the fishing is so slow. oh you can go out and catch them. But I was so blessed this year so far with great fishing it is kid of disappointing to me. getting ready to head to Canada to fish Thursday so hopefully I will be back in the groove when I get back. Hope everyone is doing fine !
    edited November -1
    It has been a real good summer . Caught fish like crazy and stayed real busy. Picked up a couple of new sponsors Lew's Fishing and also Phoenix Boats. Fall fishing is just around the corner looking forward to that. Good Fishing!

Big Ed
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the steady postings about fishing, Big Ed! I enjoy them like I'm sure lots of other members do too! [:)]
    What's next?
    edited November -1
    The past few weeks the fishing has been tougher that a two dollar steak. finally we are getting a little cooler weather. The shad have started moving back in the coves and that is where you can find some bigger bass. Normally at this time of the year the white bass are getting with it. I have only caught a few so far this year. The guide business is slowing down a little but still getting a few trips each week. Hey come on down and lets go fishing.

I have to admit something last night I cooked some Flathead Catfish OMG I soaked it in ice water with a little salt over night. Then yesterday I took it out and changed the water then drained it and then put in in milk for a hour or so. Drained it then I breaded it in corn meal and let it swim in hot oil until golden brown. That stuff is slap your mom good. I had cut all of the red meat out of it and had nothing but white meat. i swear it was the best fish I have ever had.
    edited November -1
    Good night on the lake last night . My clients had 6 keepers and several shorts. I think the cooler weather is starting to help. It will then the turnover and that will change things for a week or so. Come on white bass I got people that want to catch you.
    edited November -1
    Been busy been on the injured reserve been out of town but been fishing too. The fish are on the corners of the big docks and can be caught on topwater baits. This is kind of a normal pattern for this time of the year... i got a new boat and really haven't got to use it much because of a knee surgery.
    edited November -1
    The weather is cooling down and so is the water finally. Looking forward to some fantastic fall / winter fishing once again here at the lake. Fall Sept and Oct can be tough as a two dollar steak with no exception this year. Going out in a little to fish until dark fun times I hope.
  • peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Liv2Fish
    The weather is cooling down and so is the water finally. Looking forward to some fantastic fall / winter fishing once again here at the lake. Fall Sept and Oct can be tough as a two dollar steak with no exception this year. Going out in a little to fish until dark fun times I hope.
    edited November -1
    Fishing sucked caught one Hybrid about 4 lbs and missed several others.
    edited November -1
    Fishing SUCKS the past few days. You can catch a few but they are few and far between. We have a mega storm going to hit today so I think I will stay dry docked today.
    edited November -1
    Today is going to be the day..... Keep thinking that Ed! Last night we had a real storm here at the lake as much as the mid west did. The wind blew and blew with heavy gusts from time to time. I just got to find where all of the fish got blew to.
    edited November -1
    Good morning on the lake today . I was surprised caught about a dozen bass on jerk baits on the windy shade side of docks. We fished the flats where all the wind has been blowing and came up empty. The water temp is still in the mid 60s. saw lots of shad but the big bass are not getting after them yet.
    edited November -1
    Good morning on the lake today . I was surprised caught about a dozen bass on jerk baits on the windy shade side of docks. We fished the flats where all the wind has been blowing and came up empty. The water temp is still in the mid 60s. saw lots of shad but the big bass are not getting after them yet.
    edited November -1
    So happy going to go fishing today. Been deer hunting the past week and the the rains came......Got today then it is going to get colder than a well diggers butt for a couple of days. Oh fun it looks like it is going to be winter soon... Have a great weekend
    edited November -1
    So happy going to go fishing today. Been deer hunting the past week and the the rains came......Got today then it is going to get colder than a well diggers butt for a couple of days. Oh fun it looks like it is going to be winter soon... Have a great weekend
    edited November -1
    Peabo why do you copy and paste my posts? Am I missing something ? I am sorry I don't get it....
    edited November -1
    Happy Thanksgiving All ! the wind is picking up and the rain is on its way.
    edited November -1
    Happy Thanksgiving Big Ed! Did you thin out the deer around your spot?