In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Old style Ruger 44 mag carbine sight question

bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
edited November 2019 in Ask the Experts
I have a beautiful old style Ruger fingergroove carbine 44 mag carbine. It shot way off point of aim. I took it to a 'smith many years ago who put on a taller front sight. It almost looks like it is off or for military rifle. It is ugly finish wise, and it sticks well outside the sights dovetail slot.

Does anyone know if there's a more correct factory looking sight available for this carbine?

If not, is it feasible to refinish and resize it to where it isn't such an eyesore?

I can't find the original factory sight in my stuff unless it was exactly like the 10/22 sight. If I remember right, it shot over 1' off at max rear sight adjustment with factory sights at 50 yards.
Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can look at ones posted for sale in the past, some have great pic's of the sights. The ones I looked at have a drift adjustable rear folding unit. So there must have been something wrong with the factory set up if the gunsmith solution fixed it. Clean up the fix or perhaps scope the unit.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1. You can reshape and refinish the sight. 2. As posted by Trap55, there are commercial sights available in varying heights. I had a 10/22 that shot high and could not be adjusted down enough. I contacted Ruger and they sent me a higher sight no-charge.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys.
    The sight that Trapp55 linked to looks like the original but it was too low. I may go ahead and get another since I can't find the original one. However, there was not enough sight travel to even get close enough to use. I hadn't thought to contact Ruger directly. I may give that a shot. I definitely do not want to scope it. For one the gun is mint and would hate to scuff up the receiver on a rare fingergroove carbine but also it is my sub-75 yard gun. Most of my shots have been much closer. Aim point is probably what I should consider.
    I never really thought about it, but perhaps the gun was mint condition BECAUSE the original sights were beyond adjustment.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bambihunter, the sight I linked is an original for your rifle. The 10/22 sight is a twin to it, except it's shorter, and I'm betting that's what you had on there and the smith replaced it. If you have the original rear sight on it, that original front sight will put it back in spec. If I'm wrong, I'll buy the sight from you!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    TRAP55 wrote:
    Bambihunter, the sight I linked is an original for your rifle. The 10/22 sight is a twin to it, except it's shorter, and I'm betting that's what you had on there and the smith replaced it. If you have the original rear sight on it, that original front sight will put it back in spec. If I'm wrong, I'll buy the sight from you!

Thanks Trap.
    I knew they looked the same between the 44 carbine and 10/22 but never knew they were different. The sights did go through a few minor, mostly cosmetic changes through their history.
    Even the rears look slightly different: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/288380A https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/228280A
    When comparing your link above to the front sight for the 44 mag, and this one for the 10/22 the height difference is fairly obvious. https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/288210A
    Whether it will be THAT much difference for point of aim, I'll wait and see. I really do think the gun was all original when I bought it. But, I suppose it is possible a wrong part got put in the part bin and it was installed at the factory. Regardless, I will go ahead and order that sight. It is cheap and since I can't seem to locate my original, I'd want one anyway.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Someone here can probably correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Lyman makes the front and rear sight for those, and fairly sure the last 3 numbers of the product number, is the sight height in thousandths. So if it doesn't work, my offer still stands, and an inquiry to Lyman, and they'll tell what will work.
    Or figure it out for yourself with some measurements, and this calculator:
    https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn/learndetail.aspx?lid=13093
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    probably not what you're looking for, but check out this rear peep sight with elevation adjustment... Forgemonkey turned me onto this.

http://www.skinnersights.com/barrel_mount_6.html