In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Model 1892/92 Production Survey

Mod1892Mod1892 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
edited December 2023 in Ask the Experts
Hello to all,

Especially those with a Winchester Model 1892/92 rifle. I have been working on a survey of this line of rifle for more than 4 years now and have cataloged almost 7500 rifles to date. Much of this effort is the result of scouring on line auctions and dealers sites but has also included a couple of museum collections and thankfully the input from collectors and folks who own one or more. Some have wanted to know "what it is worth?" and other what is it?

There are wonderful reference books covering the 1873 by Gordon, the 1894/94 by Renneberg and the slide action rim fire rifle by Schwing. But there is little comprehensive and accurate information to assist those collecting the Model 1892. So, like those before me, and those presently working on other Winchester rifles I am trying to collect as much information on as many of these rifles as possible. Your gun does not need to be fancy, unique, high condition, or anything out of the ordinary. It just needs to be a Model 1892/92 and have a legible serial number on it in order to be part of this effort.

I would like you to read through the following information and you can either tell me how your rifle matches the individual photos or send me a series of photos via email that show the overall configuration and ones that show the barrel address, caliber stamp, upper tang stamp and the serial number. Either way is fine with me. I would prefer that you individually email me instead of through this forum thread.

My email address is: 2bitrifles@gmail.com

After almost 10 years the image hosting site that I had used for the original posting of this thread has gone away and with it all of the images that were used. Please follow this link to the Winchester Arms Collectors Association site and a reconfigured survey thread. Sorry for the inconvenience. https://winchestercollector.org/forum/winchester-research-surveys/winchester-model-1892-all-rifle-survey/#p44381

Thank so much to all who decide to participate and help in the project. Efforts like this are only successful with the help of others.

Michael

Model 1892 / 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

Comments

• Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Awaiting comparison samples of barrel and tang legends.
    The photobucket after #6 comes up blank, there are no other pictures here, and I am not sure which is which on photobucket.

Looking good. I'll dig the old relic out in the next day or three and fill in the particulars.

Description sent.
  • Mod1892Mod1892 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hawk Carse,

I am still setting this up right now. The Photobucket links are being problematic to say the least. They have changed their img link to include the URL which is causing all sorts of alignment and space problems. I have 2 dozen more images to attach so I need to get this figured out.

Please hold off on replying folks until I get this all set up correctly. I don't want the post to get locked. Email me with suggestions if you have any. 2bitrifles@gmail.com

Thanks,
    Michael

edited November -1
    Bill,

That would have been oh so helpful before I sat here editing all +20 image links! But a HUGE thanks just the same. I was wondering what in the world was going on. I think I have this pretty much up to what I want without making it crazy long with way too many photos to cover every little deviation. Hopefully I can handle that in the individual email responses.

Thanks again
    Michael

edited November -1
    To all,

I hope this is as clear as it is to me, but then I have been working on this for a long time. email me with your information and comments as to how to clarify if necessary. I look forward to helping you all better understand your rifle and how it fits into the production run.

My email address is: 2bitrifles@gmail.com

Thanks
    Michael

• Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Michael,

I have made this a Sticky topic so that it will stay at or near the top of the forum... good luck with your survey!
    edited November -1
    Thanks Bert!

• walliewallie Member Posts: 12,171
    edited November -1
  • magicmanml2magicmanml2 Member Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here are some pics im helping a widow sell.

IMG_0746_zps97dda300.jpg
    IMG_0755_zps97c64048.jpg
    IMG_0754_zpsfabc82dc.jpg
    IMG_0753_zps8b795419.jpg
  • goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    sent pics and description of mine a week or so ago. Hopefully they came through. Did it from my phone.