In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester Model 94, 55, & 64 Survey update

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yblockhead
    Bert, Here is another one for you. 2433176 .32 Win Special. No other details....yet. Thanks!

Thank you... 1960 production.
  • Options
    Trexx1Trexx1 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchester 1894, 32 WS, half round half octagonal, takedown, short tube.
    1: 168771
    2: 32WS
    3: plain steel
    4:
    5: maybe- drilled and filled with a proud screw
    6:No
    7:Nickle steel
    8 No
  • Options
    edited November -1
    attempt at pics to above 1894 32WS
    gun has cracked and repaired stock, cracked and repaired forend.
    missing front piece on ammo tube.
    strange cutout underneath barrel below front sight.
    Loads, feeds and shoots fine. any ideas on scarcity or value on this old ranch rifle?

1_zpsdd913924.jpg

img]img]img]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Trexx1,

Your Model 1894 Take Down Sporting Rifle is in relatively poor condition, and as such, it unfortunately has relatively little remaining collector value.

Take Down Sporting Rifles were quite common, with an estimated total production exceeding 60,000.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bert H,

I was hoping that it was a rare jewel in the rough.
    But I guess I will settle for reality.
    Thanks for the advice.

Still wondering if any one could hazard a guess as to the cut out on the bottom of the barrel.
    Bipod, an original longer stock?
    Last pic shows it
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The milled cut out was for the locking lug on the bottom of the original magazine tube lever. Your rifle originally had a full length magazine tube versus the short tube it has now.
  • Options
    Ruckin69Ruckin69 Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 63 that I will give you the info to but I have a quick question, mine has Winchester on the barrel in gold? Was that done aftermarket or was that a factory thing? DETAILS TO FOLLOW. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ruckin69
    I have a 63 that I will give you the info to but I have a quick question, mine has Winchester on the barrel in gold? Was that done aftermarket or was that a factory thing? DETAILS TO FOLLOW. Thanks for the info.

Are you referring to the Model 63 semi-auto .22 caliber rifle?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No it is a 1963 94 .30-.30.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The gold lettering was not somerthing that Winchester did. What is the serial number?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:The gold lettering was not somerthing that Winchester did. What is the serial number?

Thanks. Will that bring down the value or is that easily fixed?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ruckin69
    Thanks. Will that bring down the value or is that easily fixed?

I do not believe that it will affect the value, and would just leave it as is.
  • Options
    jbaninpcolajbaninpcola Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 1949 32 WS, are you still doing this survey?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jbaninpcola
    I have a 1949 32 WS, are you still doing this survey?

Yes, I am still adding information to the survey. Please send me a PM with the information on your Model 94.
  • Options
    jbaninpcolajbaninpcola Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Donne deal, let me know that the info made it to you (sent via e-mail)
    good luck with the research.
  • Options
    cottonwoodvistacottonwoodvista Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert, I have a 64 Deluxe Carbine, serial number 1146424, steel checkered butt plate with widow peak, composition grip cap, checkered stock, -30 W.C.F.-, super grade 2-screw bases, factory drilled and tapped for side mount sight, open sights. Need any other info?? I understand there were only 2-300 64 deluxe carbines made, do you know the exact number???
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cottonwoodvista
    Bert, I have a 64 Deluxe Carbine, serial number 1146424, steel checkered butt plate with widow peak, composition grip cap, checkered stock, -30 W.C.F.-, super grade 2-screw bases, factory drilled and tapped for side mount sight, open sights. Need any other info?? I understand there were only 2-300 64 deluxe carbines made, do you know the exact number???

Hello, and thank you for the information on your Model 64 Deluxe Carbine. Per the original Winchester serialization records, your Model 64 was manufactured on 9/29/1937.

The total production for the Model 64 Deluxe Carbines was actually approximately 4,500.
  • Options
    Texas BearTexas Bear Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The pictures are not showing for the items. I have tried on more than one computer and still do not get the pictures for the various options. Just a ? in a square.
  • Options
    vdms55vdms55 Member Posts: 296 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    model 94
    1. ser.#1118944
    2.30 wcf
    3. carbine style
    (pictures aren't showing)
    4. Winchester
    -trade mark-
    -made in u.s.a.-
    5. small screw near hammer, large screw near rear of tang
    6. no markings of these type
    7. proof steel
    8. no ring
    9. (nothing applicable 9 through 14)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by vdms55
    model 94
    1. ser.#1118944
    2.30 wcf
    3. carbine style
    (pictures aren't showing)
    4. Winchester
    -trade mark-
    -made in u.s.a.-
    5. small screw near hammer, large screw near rear of tang
    6. no markings of these type
    7. proof steel
    8. no ring
    9. (nothing applicable 9 through 14)

Thank you for participating in my research survey. Your Model 94 is a "transitional" Carbine, manufactured on December 22nd, 1936
  • Options
    hoovak1hoovak1 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow, Bert - lots of interesting information in this thread! I'm a bit late to the party because I just joined the forum but I would like to add a gun to it and find out what I can. It is a Winchester Model 53 lever action, nickel steel, .32 W.C.F., chambered in .32-20, solid (not takedown). The S/N is 5517. The tang has 3 lines: WINCHESTER; -Trademark-; and - Made in U.S.A.-, top of hammer is checkered. This rifle belonged to my grandfather who often used it to hunt woodchucks in Western NYS with his buddies. I'm now 71 and I think the Model 53 was manufactured between 1924 and 1932 in the caliber above plus .44-40 and .25-20.

When I inherited the rifle the only thing I noticed that it needed was a replacement of the lever pivot pin, which I had done by a gunsmith to insure that everything remained genuine. The rifle has been well cared for but bears the character of one that has seen some use! The bluing is pretty much gone but there is no rust. The bore is shiny bright and the wood has a nice patina gained only through age and with the dings and dents that probably have some stories behind them. The butt plate is also nickel steel, plain at the top and bottom with horizontal lines in the center.

If pictures would be helpful I can e-mail some, the forum doesn't seem to have a way to load them. Any light you can shed on this is appreciated . thanks! Dave (Hoovak1)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello Dave,

Thanks for posting the information on your Model 53. Based on the serial number, it was manufactured on 11/27/1925. I intend to forward the information on your Model 53 to a fellow Winchester collector friend of mine who is actively researching the Model 53. If you can do so, please send pictures of your rifle to my personal email address (listed in the opening post).
  • Options
    hoovak1hoovak1 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    Hello Dave,

Thanks for posting the information on your Model 53. Based on the serial number, it was manufactured on 11/27/1925. I intend to forward the information on your Model 53 to a fellow Winchester collector friend of mine who is actively researching the Model 53. If you can do so, please send pictures of your rifle to my personal email address (listed in the opening post).

I'll sure do that, and I appreciate the info you gave me on the manufacture date. Dave
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just purchased a Winchester Model 94 Carbine marked -30 WCF-, serial # 1549703, "proof steel", blank top tang, long forearm, flat checkered steel butt plate with a very-very slight curvature, not drilled for scope or peep sight, hooded ramp sight, standard milled barrel band. Hope this helps some [;)]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Junkballer
    Just purchased a Winchester Model 94 Carbine marked -30 WCF-, serial # 1549703, "proof steel", blank top tang, long forearm, flat checkered steel butt plate with a very-very slight curvature, not drilled for scope or peep sight, hooded ramp sight, standard milled barrel band. Hope this helps some [;)]

It does. Can you tell me if it has the flat type front barrel band?
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    quote:Originally posted by Junkballer

It does. Can you tell me if it has the flat type front barrel band?
    No, it's not the flat barrel band.......standard I guess is what it would be called.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    metalsmitty45metalsmitty45 Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pre war transitional variation.
    DSCN4345_zpsb7thphee.jpg
    DSCN4344_zpsecky2tya.jpg
    DSCN4343_zpswka8hnat.jpg
    DSCN4340_zpsxgaxbmpz.jpg
    DSCN4339_zpsrwxoy24m.jpg
  • Options
    callaojoecallaojoe Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a pair of pre64's.

Model 64 Standard Rifle DOM 1951 I believe
    1. 1782286
    2. 30 WCF
    3. Checkered steel with widows peak and diamond.
    4. Blank
    5. Drilled/tapped for peep.(This I assume, as it has a Lyman in place)
    6. no
    7. Proof Steel marked barrel
    8. no
    9-13 N/A
    14 Model 64 Standard Rifle.

Model 94 Carbine DOM 1963
    1. 2586117
    2. 30-30 Win
    3. serrated steel shotgun style
    4. Blank
    5. yes
    6. No
    7. Winchester Proof Steel
    8. No
    9-14 N/A
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by callaojoe
    I have a pair of pre64's.

Model 64 Standard Rifle DOM 1951 I believe
    1. 1782286
    2. 30 WCF
    3. Checkered steel with widows peak and diamond.
    4. Blank
    5. Drilled/tapped for peep.(This I assume, as it has a Lyman in place)
    6. no
    7. Proof Steel marked barrel
    8. no
    9-13 N/A
    14 Model 64 Standard Rifle.

Model 94 Carbine DOM 1963
    1. 2586117
    2. 30-30 Win
    3. serrated steel shotgun style
    4. Blank
    5. yes
    6. No
    7. Winchester Proof Steel
    8. No
    9-14 N/A

1951 is the correct year for your Model 64 standard rifle.

Thank you very much for participating in the survey [^]
  • Options
    bodydennybodydenny Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Bert,

Hope you are still amassing info. This one is serial 1344397 (last number may be off a bit,pics don't show) I'm not in possession of the rifle yet so I'll link the closed auction.

Regards,

Dennis Rooney

http://www.GunBroker.com/item/562948792
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bodydenny
    Hi Bert,

Hope you are still amassing info. This one is serial 1344397 (last number may be off a bit,pics don't show) I'm not in possession of the rifle yet so I'll link the closed auction.

Regards,

Dennis Rooney

http://www.GunBroker.com/item/562948792

Hello Dennis,

Yes, I am still surveying the Model 94s. After you get it in hand, please update this post with the verified serial number.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    1. 1,344,391
    2. 30-W.C.F
    3. Butt plate is steel with horizontal rows in the center
    4. Tang is blank.
    5. no peep sight holes
    6. No martial markings.
    7. Barrel proof is covered by a marbles rear sight,but at lowest setting appears to be the intertwined WP logo
    8. No saddle ring
    Thanks for any info!!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    1. 1,344,391
    2. 30-W.C.F
    3. Butt plate is steel with horizontal rows in the center
    4. Tang is blank.
    5. no peep sight holes
    6. No martial markings.
    7. Barrel proof is covered by a marbles rear sight,but at lowest setting appears to be the intertwined WP logo
    8. No saddle ring
    Thanks for any info!!!!!

Per the original Winchester factory serialization records, your Model 94 Carbine was manufactured very shortly after production resumed at the end of WW II, on 10/17/1945. It is completely standard.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Bert,

I pulled the magazine tube and the date "42" was stamped on the barrel. Could the barreled receiver have been left as an assembly and then finished in 1945?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Bert,

I pulled the magazine tube and the date "42" was stamped on the barrel. Could the barreled receiver have been left as an assembly and then finished in 1945?

No. The serial number clearly indicated that the receiver was not manufactured until October of 1945. Production of the Model 94 was temporarily halted in late August of 1942 to support the WW II efforts. At the time production was halted, Winchester had a stock pile of "42" barrels ready to use. When Production resumed in September of 1945, new receiver frames were made, and the remaining stock of 1942 barrels were used to assemble them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info,Bert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    MrGnAMrGnA Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert. I have 101626. Deluxe pistol grip,with checkered non-select wood. 26" full Oct/full mag, type 1A receiver. Smooth rifle crescent butt, 30 WCF top flat of barrel close to receiver. "Manufactured by the Winchester Arms ..." On the top of barrel and two-line "Nickel steel barrel specially for smokeless..." on the top left flat. (No saddle ring, no extra tang or receiver holes) Small profile silver front sight with screw on right side to secure to barrel and two leaf flip up rear with no elevator.
  • Options
    SPRINGCREEKARMORYSPRINGCREEKARMORY Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MrGnA
    Bert. I have 101626. Deluxe pistol grip,with checkered non-select wood. 26" full Oct/full mag, type 1A receiver. Smooth rifle crescent butt, 30 WCF top flat of barrel close to receiver. "Manufactured by the Winchester Arms ..." On the top of barrel and two-line "Nickel steel barrel specially for smokeless..." on the top left flat. (No saddle ring, no extra tang or receiver holes) Small profile silver front sight with screw on right side to secure to barrel and two leaf flip up rear with no elevator.

The serial number on your Model 1894 identifies it as a November 1900 production rifle. More than likely it has the I-pattern checkering, which would make it a "semi-deluxe" rifle.