In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How Does the ATF View a Nylon 66?

fugawefugawe Member Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭
edited March 2019 in Ask the Experts
My understanding is that the receiver is the gun. The receiver( the part that contains all of the gun's internals) in the case of the Nylon 66 is the stock itself. The serial numbers are either on the barrel or the receiver cover. Stocks are frequently sold on ebay and RFC without going through FFL's. How does the ATF see this?

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you should ask them, if you want an answer that might keep you out of jail. I only recall the serial number on the sheet metal on the one one I shot for a while back in 72.

I hated the iron sights, especially the front. That thing snagged on everything.

I was bunny hunting at 30 below on Christmas day. The rifle cycled so slowly I could watch the bolt come back, then at the start of forward movement the next round would leap into the chamber and some time later the bolt would follow up to battery. Never saw anything like that. Even dad was impressed with the slow mo show.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DISCLAIMER- IANAL-

Yes, the receiver is the gun. Sorta. Ever see a 1917 or 1919 belt fed 30 cal machinegun? The 'receiver" for those is the right hand side plate. Everything else is just parts.

I went back and pulled my Nylon 66 out of the safe- along with the owner's manual. Markings on the left rear of the barrel are not a serial number- factory date code. Mine does not have a serial number- made before the 1968 GCA- but the owners manual shows the "Receiver Cover"- part 39 on the parts diagram, as a "Restricted Part"- pretty sure THAT sheet metal cover is the agreed upon "receiver" for that rifle. But the stock is just parts.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This has been hashed thru many times here.
    It does not matter the part or function of the part.
    The serial number is stamped on the sheet metal cover.
    THAT is the gun in the eyes of the law.
    Thickness of steel, what it does or does not do, what parts it holds has
    no bearing on what is the gun.

IE.. you can own a complete .30 cal Browning machine gun, but if you
    have the one side plate needed to cover the "Receiver", you better have the paperwork from the ATF.
    edited November -1
    beat me by 7 mins. I got to type faster[;)]
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would you want "them" to modify the regs so that ANY part(even a butt plate screw) was "the gun"?
    With this sort of design (or any design with an easily replaceable barrel), having a SN on the barrel would be just as questionable.
    BATFE is a dinosaur in the real world and it's basis is obsolete.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are some European made Mauser 98 type rifles with the serial # on the barrel, not the receiver, but I'm pretty sure the action/receiver would be considered the critical component.

babun: I can't, of course, show where it states that in the regs. since, doubtless, it's not there but Husqvarna serial numbered the barrels, not the receivers, on their commercial sporters. I'm thinking this was probably in the pre-'68 days. There are quite a few of those rifles around and I haven't heard of problems.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ambrose
    There are some European made Mauser 98 type rifles with the serial # on the barrel, not the receiver, but I'm pretty sure the action/receiver would be considered the critical component.

Show me where in the laws that's stated please. You may find that any gun that after 2002 have changed to move the number to the
    "receiver"
    I believe IF a gun has a serial number, the part with the number is the
    "gun".
    Some early guns don't have any numbers, then a certain part may be
    deemed the "gun".
  • Bottom GunBottom Gun Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've seen Nylon 66 serial numbers on the receiver cover and on the underside of the barrel.
    Mechanical engineers have their moments.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bubba has stamp sets.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    odd...always told that the nylon 66 was one of the fastest cycling 22's.....got a mohawk brown and a black and chrome..clean em and spray with the teflon out now ....zippity
  • Sparty_76Sparty_76 Member Posts: 714 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 66 is my first gun and still in the safe. Bought it with my first earned $60. Took me 6 months to save that much. Parents did not want me to have it, as they said they would not use their money for a gun. I was 13 or 14. My dad took me to the Ace hardware store to buy it. If I recall the clip one had just come out and the back one was $10 more. If I recall I think I had about $10 left of my $60. For the two years in fall and winter there were few days in the fall and winter, I was not out in the woods in se Michigan looking for squirrels and rabbits with my old beagle/shepherd mix Sammy. Sammy was the best hunting dog I ever had! Did not get to many squirrels with him around, but his company was more than worth it! Two years later, with my first real part-time job I spent the first $90 I earned on a NIB Wingmaster 870 12gauge. Then Sammy and I would chase pheasants all over. Sammy would be right on them, but when he started barking or "baying" I knew we had went on his favorite, rabbits! The 870 and 66 still are in my safe, never failed me! I take my newer guns with me now, but every time I see the 870 and 66 I smile and I remember all the great times Sammy and I had together! I get a couple tears in my eyes if I remember to long!
This discussion has been closed.