In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

NEF/H&R Handi Rifle parts?

DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
edited March 2019 in Ask the Experts
I have a NEF Handi rifle chambered in .500 S&W. This weekend the transfer bar broke at the small round pin it rides on. Does anyone know where I can find the transfer bar assembly? I have checked online as well as Brownells and Numrich with no luck. Any info much appreciated. Don

Comments

• Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Almost certainly the would repair it for free under warranty if you sent back the half of the gun needing fixing

They might even do a parts exchange

I have a bunch of single shot break open shotgun from them

One sheared off the lug on the bbl that holds the forend on and keeps the gun together

They took care of it

Mike
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you will need to look at H&R 1871 LLC these days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H&R_Firearms

H&R 1871, LLC is a manufacturer of firearms under the Harrington & Richardson and New England Firearms trademarks. H&R is a subsidiary of the Remington Outdoor Company. H&R ceased production February 27, 2015. Wikipedia

That is the part that always breaks along with the firing pin.

Some places list the part (transfer bar) other say factory installed only. I have changed out dozens of both in the distant past.
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don,
    Are you OK with doing the repair yourself ?
    I have a complete set of used internals if interested $50 + $6 shipping or I will do $46 shipped on the transfer bar assembly, I believe they came from an SB2 but I no longer have the tag, they are slightly used.
    email ricksuek@gmail.com if interested.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrmike08075
    Almost certainly the would repair it for free under warranty if you sent back the half of the gun needing fixing

They might even do a parts exchange

I have a bunch of single shot break open shotgun from them

One sheared off the lug on the bbl that holds the forend on and keeps the gun together

They took care of it

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the response. I called H&R 1871 today and they will not fix it. The customer service rep was a real jerk on the phone. He said that any H&R/NEF Handi rifle is "out of warranty" as they only came with 2 year warranties and have not been made since 2015. He also said they do not sell parts for them either. Luckily, I sourced the part from Allmans and its being shipped in the morning. Thanks again for the response.

Don
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pip5255
    Don,
    I have a complete set of used internals if interested $50 + $6 shipping or I will do $46 shipped on the transfer bar assembly, I believe they came from an SB2 but I no longer have the tag, they are slightly used.

I actually found a new transfer bar assembly from Allmans being shipped in the morning. Thanks for the offer to sell me yours. Don
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DONDALINGER
    Don,

I actually found a new transfer bar assembly from Allmans being shipped in the morning. Thanks for the offer to sell me yours. Don

your welcome, I have worked on these type guns for a long time so if you have any issues just give a yell.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am sorry to here you had a bad experience - they were great to me when I did business with them

Sorry to here that they are kaput and have sunk so low

Sorry I ever responded to your thread or offered an opinion

Hate on.

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrmike08075
    I am sorry to here you had a bad experience - they were great to me when I did business with them

Sorry to here that they are kaput and have sunk so low

Sorry I ever responded to your thread or offered an opinion

Hate on.

Mike

Mike,

No hate here brother. It was a sincere "Thank you" for taking the time to respond. I was hoping they would fix it, but they turned out to be pretty nasty. Nothing against you. I hadn't considered contacting them until you mentioned it. At least that option has been explored.

Thanks, Don
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DONDALINGER
    Don,

your welcome, I have worked on these type guns for a long time so if you have any issues just give a yell.

I might take you up on that offer. I will keep your email and give you a yell if I run into any snags. It looks pretty straight forward. I was going to replace it from the top and not remove the hammer, trigger, trigger connector or trigger guard, but I may have to take everything out. It appears I can remove the pin that holds it and replace it without removing anything else except maybe the barrel break lever. [?]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry if I read it wrong - bad day for me

Why do they have customer service reps and a phone and office if they are defunct - por que???

Just to say no to folks...

Are all 3 gone: H&R -NEF - Pardner???

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    http://www.hr1871.com/Support/repairs.asp.html

Interesting - they claim to be the largest manufacturer of single shot shotguns in the world - but the website won't let you click on shotguns

They are still in business - but won't honor any previous warranties

Repair center in Quebec Canada

It's the same stuff with the same name

[?][?][?]

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just a follow up to my post. I ordered the transfer bar assembly online and it came in yesterday. I installed the new part last night and all is working as it should. Will test fire tomorrow after the monsoon ends. Disassembly was simple- 5 splined pins. Reassembly was a little tricky. Anyone who owns one of these H&R/NEF Handi rifles or shotguns- you must take everything out to replace the transfer bar assembly. Also, the easiest order of reassembly for me was 1) transfer bar and barrel block first 2) hammer and hammer spring next 3) firing pin and breakdown lever next 4) trigger, trigger connector and trigger guard last- to make things easier, make yourself a slave pin that is .150 diameter by .610 long. Use this slave pin when installing the hammer and spring and again when installing the trigger, connector and trigger guard. Some decent youtube videos are available, but some not so good. Just be patient and its not too bad. Don
  • Options
    edited November -1
    have you taken it out and test fired since the repair was made and results ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I took it out to test fire and am still getting some light primer strikes. It was doing this before the transfer bar broke. When the transfer bar broke, I thought it was causing the light primer strike but it wasn't. I spoke with a gunsmith and they said to try a new hammer spring first and if that didn't correct it, file some material off the hammer stop and that should fix it. The new hammer spring was $2.90. After researching the problem, it is common problem with many Handi rifles to have light primer strikes and several ways to remedy it. I hope the new hammer spring corrects it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    some of these guns only used a single hammer spring others used a double, make sure you check your firing pin also.
    the ones with the transfer bar lose hammer force due to the transfer bar and that is the purpose of shortening the hammer stop to provide additional travel to help with force loss but beware because not enough hammer stop clearance causes failure of the transfer bar and I do not recommend doing so.