In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hungarian g98/40 bolt take-down?

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
edited March 2019 in Ask the Experts
have a sportered m-98/40 in the shop that has a 'problem' safety. to the 'left is fire/ center is safe/ right the safety and bolt are locked and con't be un-locked without a LOT of push/pull...any help??

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know that specific model, but all 98's are similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hiv4wX1K4V4

Make sure the bolt is screwed all the way back together. You need to press in the 'lock button' on the cocking piece to get the pieces to screw all the way back in. In the vid what he called the cocking piece is what I call the striker/firing pin. That piece the safety fits in is what I called the cocking piece/gas shield - the button is on the front and works with the back edge of the receiver.

Sounds like the camming surfaces on the striker and the safety could use some work. Take the bolt apart and look for a square edge on both of the working surfaces. Dremel tool with small stone to make a smoother/deeper bevel rather than a square edge. Go slow, don't draw the temper by letting the area get hot. Surface hardness might not be real deep - remove as little metal as you can - some off each is usually better than all off one.

I think some models have a ball detent in the cocking piece to help retain the position, Ball and spring could be clog/semi frozen - penetrating oil, Kroil; notch might need some work to polish the taper- compare to the other notches.
  • Options
    rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    Never worked on one. But the bolt is different, than the 98. In that the bolt head, isn't integral. If you have one of the NRA disassembly guides? It's listed under Germany, rather than Hungary. Because the Germans used a lot during the war. Although there's are in 8mm Mauser. Not 8 x 56, like the Hungarian.

Because of the separate bolt head, and small internal parts. It appears more complected that the 98. More than likely,that your problem. It wasn't reassembled correctly.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 98/40 has a split rear bridge, and the bolt looks alot like a Mosin.
    https://www.full30.com/watch/MDAxMjk4/bolt-disassembly-hungarian-35m-43m-and-g9840
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    THANKS TRAPP, EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED. IMPROPERLY ASSEMBLED