In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning Abolt mag ????

jarjar Member Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
edited April 2019 in Ask the Experts
are the browning abolt ll magazines caliber specific or will a long action mag work in a number of different cal. ?

Comments

• Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All most all mags are somewhat interchangeable within similar cartridges.

A mag for a 30/06 will feed a .270 winchester round.
    A 7mm mauser mag will work with .257 Roberts.
    A .35 Whelen is a 30/06 mag.

See where this is going???

Usually, any shell that is "made" from a parent cartridge the mag will work for either one.

Tell us what mag you have and we'll tell you what should work.
  • Options
    rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    Very confusing situation regarding the mags. 3 different versions of the A bolt. Mags aren't interchangeable between A bolt #1 #2, and #3 which takes a different mag.

Link below is to Midwest Gun Works. Who specializes on Browning. Contact their CS reps. If the mag you need, isn't on their web site.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/*/1120230
  • Options
    edited November -1
    babun wrote:

Usually, any shell that is "made" from a parent cartridge the mag will work for either one.

thanks guys, I have a browning abolt 2 in 30-06 and was wanting a spare mag. A friend of mine has a 7mm mag magazine from an abolt2 that he thought would work in my 30-06. I dident know so I thought I would ask ya"ll.
  • Options
    rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    jar wrote:
    babun wrote:

thanks guys, I have a browning abolt 2 in 30-06 and was wanting a spare mag. A friend of mine has a 7mm mag magazine from an abolt2 that he thought would work in my 30-06. I dident know so I thought I would ask ya"ll.

The 7mm Mag, uses a belted case. Because of this, the rim diameter will be .060+ larger than the 30-06. Don't know how/if it will affect feeding with the 30-06, from a 7mm Mag. Magazine?
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As said above, the 7mm Mag is fatter than your 30/06.
    This may lead to your 30/06 cases to "ride" too nose high, {bullet tips pointed upward} to feed into the chamber.
    If so, you may be able to bend the feed lips of the 7mm mag mag in tighter by a little bit.

opplanet-browning-x-bolt-204-ruger-rifle-magazine-112044007-main.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks guys that all makes sense. I am glad I ask.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, for your best bet, get yourself a magazine for the 30-06 for reliability. The A-Bolt(original), and A-Bolt II, are both cartridge specific. The follower, and forward part of the feed lips are formed to a specific cartridge with these magazines.