In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

DOM on Colt Officers Model revolver

redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
edited April 2019 in Ask the Experts
ok, this one should be easy. when I go to the colt look up site the closest model is the official police I think? this is a officers model 38, heavy barrel revolver. serial # 619409 and has a Y underneath if that helps. last pat. date is oct 5 1926, thanks again for your help, red

Comments

• Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    Officers Model's, had adjustable sights. The serial number you provided. Tracks to a Official Police. Fixed sight revolver, from the 30's. The adjustable sight Officers Model target revolvers. Were in a different serial number range. Make sure you have given us. The correct serial number.
  • redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hello, same number on yoke and frame. barrel marked officers model 38, heavy barrel. partridge front sight and rear sight is adjustable for windage not elevation. serial number I gave is correct. top & backstrap is gray matt to where the bottom of the grip starts as is top of trigger and backstrap is cross-hatch checkered, kinda a military type target pistol look? gun has not been refinished and is as close to new as can be. not sure what else I can tell you, says my pics are too large to show, thanks.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like an Officer's Model Match .38 Special. It has a frame the same size as the old Trooper and the Python. The front sight is the elevation adjustment point as the central blade pivots. I carried one for duty for a while then switched to a Model 19.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You clearly describe an Officer's Model Target. (Officer's Model Match is a later gun with all adjustment in rear sight.)
    The heavy barrel came out in 1935.

Colt is not real careful about markings, I have no trouble with the idea that your OMT got numbered in the 1937 OP range. One ".41 frame" looks a lot like the other.

Unless you have a need to know worth the $75 for a Colt archive letter, I would just say 1937 and let it go at that.
  • redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    sounds like good advice, thanks guys, redman