In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Marlin 1898 Shotgun take down question

gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
edited April 2019 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone have a video or the instructions on how to remove the barrel assembly on an old 1898 Marlin pump shotgun?
Thank in advance,
Ed

Comments

• Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are several posts about shotgun disassembly on the Marlin Forum, but none about this particular model. I didn't find anything on you tube, either. Good luck.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are several posts about shotgun disassembly on the Marlin Forum, but none about this particular model. I didn't find anything on you tube, either. Good luck.
    Thanks Henry.
    That's why I figured I would try hear. Maybe a better keyboard commando or someone with the actual "how to" knowledge will come along and be able to help.
    I expected an easy Youtube search!!
    Ed
    edited November -1
    I found instructions!
    Followed them, and darn if it didn't work!!
    Fairly simple, actually!!

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Marlin98s.htm#_Toc5766670
  • rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    I had a hands-on, with one of the old Marlin pumps years ago. There were a number of different models. Found out later, that the early ones were considered dangerous with modern smokeless ammo. Don't recall If the one your working on, is one of them?

If you do get it working, though? I would test fire it. With the butt wedged into a tire, (secured with bungees). And the trigger pulled with a long cord. Before touching one off, while holding it. If the barrel would burst then. Likely it would shred your hand. Always best to be safe with the old timers. originally made for BP pressures.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rufesnow wrote:
    I had a hands-on, with one of the old Marlin pumps years ago. There were a number of different models. Found out later, that the early ones were considered dangerous with modern smokeless ammo. Don't recall If the one your working on, is one of them?

If you do get it working, though? I would test fire it. With the butt wedged into a tire, (secured with bungees). And the trigger pulled with a long cord. Before touching one off, while holding it. If the barrel would burst then. Likely it would shred your hand. Always best to be safe with the old timers. originally made for BP pressures.

I allways heard/ thought it was the bolt assembly was dangerous, would fly back out in your face, if this is the winchester 97 copy.
    edited November -1
    Thank you Rufe and Hillbillie.
    I have no intention of firing this old girl, but have little doubt she would perform well.
    Certainly a well made and cool old shooting Iron!
    I'll certainly have to add a disclaimer when I post it for sale on the auction side!
    Thanks again,
    Ed
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good to hear you were successful, Gearheaddad.

I have a couple of 100+ year old 1895 take-down rifles that when purchased looked to have not been separated for decades. The first one took a couple of days of soaking with remoil (I was afraid to use anything too harsh). The second one took about a week, IIRC.

Now both are fully functional take-down rifles, one in 30-06 and one in 30 Govt. Aggravating to have an old weapon that does not fully function in the way it was designed and built.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele