In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

03A3 Bolt Body

TheBrassManTheBrassMan Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
edited May 2019 in Ask the Experts
Someone here has to know who made this 03A3 bolt body.
Only stamping I can find is what looks like a 2 punch mark.
That is all. No pictures available as I do not have a hosting site that works here.
Thank you for your help.

Comments

• Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know for sure about the 03a3's BUT, Punch marks were used by the US armorers to test hardness of receivers and other pieces of guns before they were rebuilt or upgraded.
    Many a 1911 had a single punch mark on it before it was made into a upgraded National match gun.

With the old 03's having soft steel , I think you may be looking at test marks. But the 2 may lead you to who or when it was made.

ADDED
    just took a quick look thru my old stuff....That is test marks from an upgrade.
    Possible two upgrades or rebuilds.

Here is some reading for you...

https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=55723
  • Options
    TheBrassManTheBrassMan Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know the Smith Corona bolts were marked mostly with an "X", but they were also stamped with "3 punch mark".
    The "2" tells who but can not find any information on the "2".
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Springfield Book says "If manufactured by Smith Corona, it will be marked with an "X," punch mark, or "7" in any combination. Possible the 2 is really a 7?
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It should be stamped on the "root" (on the bottom where the handle meets the bolt body). RA or R would indicate Remington.

Neal