In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

barrel cleaning

wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2019 in Ask the Experts
Discussion at work a few days ago. I have always cleaned the barrels on my rifles in addition to cleaning of the complete firearm very soon after using. The only exception being during hunting season they may go no more than a week without a barrel cleaning if I am out on a hunt. Two guys at work said they never have cleaned their barrels. I know modern ammo is not corrosive but I like to keep my firearms well taken care of. What is your opinion?

Comments

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMHOP centerfire barrels should always be cleaned and lubed before storage. While most barrels have gotten smoother over the years there will still be a buildup of carbon and copper that is not good for accuracy. Also any oil in the barrel will be burned off and this can lead to corrosion. Most 22 rimfires are very forgiving and need minimal cleaning. I run an oily patch thru the rimfire bores and only scrub when I notice any accuracy drop off. I subscribe to the adage of more rimfire barrels are ruined cleaning than shooting. Bob
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BobJudy wrote:
    IMHOP centerfire barrels should always be cleaned and lubed before storage. While most barrels have gotten smoother over the years there will still be a buildup of carbon and copper that is not good for accuracy. Also any oil in the barrel will be burned off and this can lead to corrosion. Most 22 rimfires are very forgiving and need minimal cleaning. I run an oily patch thru the rimfire bores and only scrub when I notice any accuracy drop off. I subscribe to the adage of more rimfire barrels are ruined cleaning than shooting. Bob

+22
    When I shot a lot of NRA .22 matches, I rarely cleaned my barrel of the high dollar rimfire guns.
    2 "fouling" shots down range, before siting in or shooting for score was all that was needed.
  • pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    brush, oil patch and dry patch after every use.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The worls classe 10/22 target rig gets the barrel cleaned when accuracy falls off, as do my other 22s.

The Ruger Mk II gets cleaned when I start getting OOBs and functioning issues (every 3k or so depending on ammo)

The CF rifles and pistols get a wiping down and through, until accuracy falls off then they get a good scrubbing.

The shotguns get mopped out but not scrubbed.
  • 1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have worked at a rifle range for 20 years and have been an avid collector/shooter for 45. I used to breech to muzzle clean everything I shot...also have a lot of mil surp stuff which requires a clean every time due to the possible vagaries of corrosive ammo. My modern stuff I only barrel clean when accuracy?s failing or pressure signs get a touch squirrely. Normally one lubed patch through my good barrels (Obermayers, Bartlein etc) and as mentioned , only clean when accuracy falls off. You can over clean in the respect that your BENEFICIAL fouling gets wiped out every time to scrub that thing... too much of a good thing.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Clean centerfire rifles after hunting season. Fire a practice shot to make sure scope is still on and shoot dirty bore afterwards.