In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ejector Steyr M95, cont'd

cohenmj770cohenmj770 Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
edited May 2019 in Ask the Experts
I tried to continue the previous thread on this topic but found it "locked", so I'm opening a new thread. I received and installed a "new" ejector and a "new" extractor into my Steyr M95 and I have the same problem - the round goes into the chamber, but when i pull the bolt back it doesn't get thrown off to the right, but, rather, just sits there on top of the next round in the stack. I've tried pulling the bolt back smartly, as if in the heat of battle, with no difference. Also, I tried moving the bolt back slowly, so I can watch the movements. About 1/2 way back the round seems to drop down such that the bolt/extractor just lets go of it. Then the bolt moves back without pulling the round rearward. In the previous thread, someone mentioned that the follower should be pushing upward to prevent that from occurring, but the follower is definitely at the top of its travel. Any suggestions?

Comments

• rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    cohenmj770 wrote:
    I tried to continue the previous thread on this topic but found it "locked", so I'm opening a new thread. I received and installed a "new" ejector and a "new" extractor into my Steyr M95 and I have the same problem - the round goes into the chamber, but when i pull the bolt back it doesn't get thrown off to the right, but, rather, just sits there on top of the next round in the stack. I've tried pulling the bolt back smartly, as if in the heat of battle, with no difference. Also, I tried moving the bolt back slowly, so I can watch the movements. About 1/2 way back the round seems to drop down such that the bolt/extractor just lets go of it. Then the bolt moves back without pulling the round rearward. In the previous thread, someone mentioned that the follower should be pushing upward to prevent that from occurring, but the follower is definitely at the top of its travel. Any suggestions?

Just a WAG here, since you have tried everything else. The original Steyr's were in 8 X 50 Austrian Mannlicher. After the First World War, many were rechambered, for 8 X 56. M 31 cartridge.

Could there be any possibility, that your rifle is chambered for 8 X 56 M-31. And your trying to shoot, the older 8 X 50 AS cartridges in it?
  • cohenmj770cohenmj770 Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good thought, but no, there's no S or B stamped on the top. It's still 8 x 50R.
    edited November -1
    OK, so speaking of WAGs, does anyone know if it's possible to reassemble the bolt incorrectly? I took the bolt completely apart (except the safety knob/lever) and cleaned everything. Then, watching multiple does on YouTube, I reassembled everything back together. I assumed that if everything went together such that the bolt went back into the rifle and it cycled correctly that it was assemble right. Is that true? The reason I ask is that I'm wondering of the extractor should be holding the shell tight against the bolt face until it hits the ejector, and it's not, so could that mean that i screwed up the assemble of the bolt somehow? Thanks, Mike
    edited November -1
    OK - I'm trying one more thing. I ordered a "new" bolt head. I'm wondering if mine is worn in front where the edge of the cartridge rim is supported. If this doesn't help I'm going to give up.
  • PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just wondering if the extractor itself is damaged. The Steyr 95 was/is a controlled round feed, accepting a cartridge coming up under the rim. A noted problem is loading a single round directly into the chamber, instead of coming up under the extractor, and having the extractor try to snap over the rim. This has produced broken extractors, or perhaps has "sprung" or bent, or even cracked, your extractor so that it won't hold tightly onto the cartridge rim. I have owned a couple of the Steyr 95's, a full-length rifle and a carbine, both "S" stamped for the 8x56R cartridge. But I believe the 8x50R and 8x56R had the same rim dimension.
    edited November -1
    Could be, but I've replaced the extractor and the "new" one looks exactly like my old one. The problem I'm having is that as I slowly pull the bolt back the cartridge just falls down. I can't tell if it's because the extractor is not holding it tightly enough or if there's just nothing holding the rim of the cartridge up. Maybe this "new" bolt head will give me the answer.
    edited November -1
    Finally got a chance to try my rifle with the "new" bolt head installed. Lesson 1: It's possible to assemble the bolt incorrectly. There are a few videos on YouTube that do a good job of showing you how to do this right, e.g., https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jms8rkSDsI. But, as I say, if you assemble the bolt incorrectly, as evidenced by having the ejector groove on the top instead of the bottom, the bolt will go partially back into the gun, but will not go all the way in, and the only way to get it out is to disassemble the gun down to the ejector/sear.

However, after fixing that goof-up, with my "new" bolt head installed, the ejector works great; it threw a couple of unfired rounds half way across my workbench. I haven't made a careful study as to why one bolt head seems to work and the other doesn't, but that's for another day.
    edited November -1
    For all you folks that are interested, I have solved the mystery of my cartridges not getting ejected properly. The issue was that as I pulled the bolt back, the cartridge would get extracted from the chamber, but then the extractor would essentially let go of the cartridge rim so the cartridge just sat there on top of the stack. Once i changed the bolt head, the problem went away. I have had a chance to inspect the old bolt head and compare it to the "new" one. The "new" bolt head has a raised ridge directly opposite where the extractor sits. This causes the cartridge rim to be held lightly between the extractor and this ridge all the way back until the ejector pops the cartridge out. You can see this raised ridge at about the 2:00 position on the face of the bolt in this picture:

The original bolt in the gun, as purchased, doesn't have this raised ridge. I don't know if it was worn off, ground off (??) or indicates that it's a bolt head from another gun that doesn't need this ridge (???). Once i replaced the bolt head, everything worked great.418205_a747b2c7a4222654d2d6e95209981d36.jpg