In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rifle Re BArrel

Pure bamaPure bama Member Posts: 40
edited April 2019 in Ask the Experts
I have a model 70, and would like to re barrel it.Any suggestions about barrel preference?....want go with a 257 Weatherby chamber....???

Comments

• rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    Pure bama wrote:
    I have a model 70, and would like to re barrel it.Any suggestions about barrel preference?....want go with a 257 Weatherby chamber....???

257 W is a belted magnum. if your M 70 is now, a 300 WM or 264 WM your OK. If not, it's going to require more than just rebarreling, i.e. mag bolt, for oversized belted magnum cartridge. Interior mag rails reworked to function with 257 Weatherby cartridge. Your going to have touch bases with Nonsense, to see if the above. Is even possible.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pure bama,

rufesnow hit the nail on the head. We need to know more about what the current rifle is chambered for and whether it's pre- or post-64 M70.

You will find that everyone here has an opinion and can back up there opinion with personal observations as to which barrel is the best or most appropriate to use. Many will tell you that using the cheapest Green Mountain barrel or one of the other low end makers can be just as good and just as accurate as top of the line barrels. This is simply based on what degree the user wants and if that barrel meets their needs, it is simply the best choice. It's also simply not true, as this is a product where quality DOES cost money.

As to picking a barrel manufacturer, I only work with one maker most of the time and that's Bartlein Barrels. I have worked with nearly every other barrel maker and I find I get the highest quality and most consistency from Bartlein. You can also consider Brux, Krieger, or any of the other top half dozen makers. But I suggest that you stick with cut rifled, stainless steel barrels for longevity sake when using high energy cartridges. Button rifled barrels are softer by the nature of the process and will exhibit wear faster using high energy cartridges.

Best.
  • Pure bamaPure bama Member Posts: 40
    edited November -1
    ..its chambered in 300 Weatherby,and I simply want to rebarrel in 257 Weatherby....so,what is the best barrel?..thanks
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As to picking a barrel manufacturer, I only work with one maker most of the time and that's Bartlein Barrels.

I stated this above in my previous post. I use Bartlein Barrels for nearly every project unless someone has decided on another manufacturer and I think it is good enough.

Yes, you can chamber the new barrel to the .257 Weatherby but it is a shorter cartridge than the .300 Weatherby so the rails might need a little adjusting. The bolt face and extractor will be good.

Best.
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    70 is a excellent platform. Rebarreling is a precision project. If changing calibers best left to the pros. If your skill level is high due diligence with head space and other parameters for best results.

Good luck!
    "What is truth?'
  • Pure bamaPure bama Member Posts: 40
    edited November -1
    Ok, I will have a "Smith" do the job...just looking for barrel referrels?