In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

454 Casull - Reloading Question

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
edited April 2019 in Ask the Experts
Just picked up a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 454 Casull. Bisley grip, 6.5" barrel with a 5 shot cylinder. Already have my reloading supplies. This makes about the 85th to 100th chambering I reload for and reviewing my hard copy books, on line types, a few questions pop up.

I'm used to seeing variations in load levels. Lyman seems to always be a bit more conservative, but the difference between load levels, both max and starting, is much greater with the 454 than I'm used to seeing. I'm not using any "send in your own" loads. These are all well know publishers such as Speer, Sierra, Hornady, Wolfe and Hodgden on line, Lee, etc.

One printed source lists H110 @ 28.5 max for the 250 Hornady XTP. Another lists 31.5 as starting and 36.5 as max. That's a heck of a difference and keep in mind H110 often carries the "do not start below minimum" admonition. I see similar variations with Winchester 296, which is the same as H110. But, I also see some loads of H110 that are much different than WW296. They should be similar, with the same bullets - yes?

I'm using Starline brass. I read that Freedom Arms brass is used in some loads. Is there a difference?

I see some loads listed for the M92 "Puma" rifle and won't be using those in the Ruger. Is there any reason loads listed as 454 Casull, with no specifics such as is found in the 45/70 speaking to Trapdoor, Marlin or #1 levels, can be used in the Freedom Arms but not the Ruger SB? One source shows a "Ruger SB" loads listing and they show a 250 grain bullet maxed out around 1,200 fps. And that seems conservative as heck. Don't know if they're listing it as a "pleasant plinker" or "do not exceed" load.

I'd like to do most of my shooting with 250 grain or so hard cast lead, maybe doing about 1,400 fps. Any suggestions on bullet and powder combination - you can skip the powder charge if you'd like, type will be sufficient guide.

Comments

• MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sorry I don't have any answers for you, but your post brings up questions for me as well, and I think watching this thread may very well answer some of mine.
    I'm new to reloading.
    I do have the dies, powders, and projectiles listed in published manuals for loading the .454Casull, but have yet to dive in.

I have 2 .454's.
    One is a Taurus Raging Bull, and the other is the Puma M92 you referenced.
    I am interested in some of the loads you say are specifically listed for the M92, but I'm also curious to see what others have to say about the powder discrepancies.

With all that said, I do believe you have the stronger action of all discussed here.
    The Ruger Super Blackhawk is well renowned for being "built like a tank".
    Many manuals have "Ruger only" loads.
    These are NOT to warn about over-powering the Rugers, they are warnings saying the Rugers are the only guns that will handle these pressures.
    I would not hesitate to use one of the M92 loads in a Super Blackhawk, but I would NEVER try a Ruger only load in the M92.

I hope all that makes sense, and I'll be watching this thread.
  • rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    Unless you bought it for salmon fishing in Alaska, or your a masochist. Stick to the lite loads. Even that so called lite load, (250 @ 1200 FPS). Going to make your eyes water. Before you get through box of ammo.

The saving grace of the 454 Casull and the .460 S & W. Is that 45 LC and 45 LC equivalent loads, can be shot in them. Work up a load using Casull brass, and fast burning powder. With that 250 grain bullet, @ 700/800 FPS. You'll be a way better off, than with them barn burners. That shake the filings, out of your teeth.
  • pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    there are many differences in reloading, I personally try several different loads until I find what my guns like best, some like it hot and others like it mild, when I am done they shoot their best. I general start on the mild side and work up from there.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should