In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

De-glossing a gun stock

otter6412otter6412 Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
edited May 2019 in Ask the Experts
I picked up a vintage military rifle where it appears the prior owner applied some kind of gloss finish. I'm wondering If I can de-gloss that finish without screwing things up. The paint stores sell stuff called de-glosser, but I've never used any.

Thanks

Comments

• Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just buy some 0000 steel wool, and lightly go over the stock.
    You don't know what is on the stock, and de glosser may damage or remove it.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    50 - 60 years ago, shellac was popular for refinishing stocks.

I'd strip it with Formby's furniture stripper, rubbing gently with 0000 steel wool. Then, I'd refinish with Formby's tung oil, rubbing with the steel wool between coats (3 coats).

Neal
  • pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you don't want the gloss like you said it is the finish, you have to remove it and hope what is underneath is the old finish.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, you can simply "degloss" the existing finish with 0000 steel wool. Sheesh!
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would help to know exactly what you have. A mostly pristine sniper/target rifle vs beat up pitted trench war horse with extra drilled holes and amputations. Your local real gunsmith would likely offer free good advice with a hands on inspection.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Birchwood casey has a stock sheen and conditioner that is very easy to use and you are in control of how much sheen you want to reduce.

You can re-search such on-line, how to use, etc (you remove the high gloss from a gunstock by using it with a soft cloth similar to using pumice or toothpaste. Do it little bit at a time, because it does it's thing faster than you would think so.

I do not like to use steel wool, it's not as user friendly.

Birchwood casey also has a very good reasonably price stock finishing kit. ($16) suing tru-oil and the finish can be controlled from low gloss to high gloss. The more coats installed the higher the gloss. The stock sheen conditioner is used AFTER all is dry if the finished stock has too high a gloss. I've found that instead of using fingers when applying additional coats of tru-oil with this kit, use 800-1200 grit wet dry sandpaper to apply the additional coats, keep the sandpaper wet with tru-oil.
    This applys the additional coat and at same time you are polishing and leveling the undercoats. Follow all the instructions in the kit but just use the find wet/dry for installing additional coats of tru-oil.

If you decide to try the Caseys stock sheen conditioner use it in a small area at first on your stock so as to test. compatibility.
  • asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/stock-work-finishing/stock-rubbing-compounds/rottenstone-prod25694.aspx
    https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/stock-work-finishing/stock-rubbing-compounds/felt-pads-assortment-1-pad-of-each-densities-sku839295000-12713-30728.aspx?rrec=true

Since you have it available locally try the de-glosser in a small inconspicuous spot to see if it gives the results you want.
    With that said, I'd use rottenstone and a medium felt pad. At the link is says to mix with linseed oil, but it can also be mixed with water but will settle out and need stirred frequently. Just work slowly with light pressure on the pad.