In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

10/22 headspace

GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
edited May 2019 in Ask the Experts
I have read that in the past some smiths have ground the bolt face on the 10/22s
to .0400". I thought that match headspace for a 22 lr was .0425". Would reducing
.0025" cause a slam fire? I have a used 10/22 That measures .0400 and it functions
well. Very accurate. Thanks.

Comments

• babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The biggest problem with the .22 head space is the ammo.
    In our BOLT+ACTION target rifles we set the headspace tight.
    But we measured the rim thickness of the ammo we used. It varies a lot even among the same brands.
    Slam fires even with a semi-auto banging the shells into the chamber would be almost nonexistent. A decent dent in one spot of the rim is needed to set off the primer mixture.
    I'm sure you have had some misfires that went bang after a second hit of the pin in many guns.
    If you want accuracy, set the headspace right, it will give it to you.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    "Slam fires even with a semi-auto banging the shells into the chamber would be almost nonexistent.".............not totaly true, I've had semi-auto's that would 'slam' fire on occasion with certain ammo. rim thickness is important.
  • llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Slam fires even with a semi-auto banging the shells into the chamber would be almost nonexistent.".............not totaly true, I've had semi-auto's that would 'slam' fire on occasion with certain ammo. rim thickness is important.

Indeed I know it is time to clean my Ruger Mk II when it starts slam firing or giving other OOB symptoms