In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

54 degrees rotation

penguin1penguin1 Member Posts: 97
edited May 2019 in Ask the Experts
I was reading about Weatherby rifle design of 9 locking lugs. 3 sets of 3. It also said the action had a 54 degree rotation to eject a cartridge and reload.If you have 3 sets of lugs with 3 areas to allow the lugs to clear the chamber would you not have 60 degrees of rotation to work the bolt? I must be missing something. I am assuming the lugs were equally states at 120 degrees apart.

Comments

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the lugs are only 54 degrees of the 360 then the bolt only needs to rotate 54 degrees to clear the recesses. I think :D Bob
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WIDTH of the lugs as a percentage of 360 degrees comes in to play.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    11b6r wrote:
    WIDTH of the lugs as a percentage of 360 degrees comes in to play.

+360

Think if the lugs were just toothpicks mating into 1/8" holes. . You could need only 5 degrees of turn before they disengage.
    The Remington 788"s { a great underrated rifle} had the equal 3 sets of 3 lugs....60 degrees.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Roy wasn't the first to use interrupted threads on a rifle bolt. I have a Charles Newton rifle from 1912-20 that multiple locking lugs and the nicest double set triggers I have ever used.