In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Springfield 1903 DOM

hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
edited May 2019 in Ask the Experts
Looking for DOM on a 1903 Ser.# 42839 and if it's safe to shoot. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    1904 according to my reference. If it's original? Would be a high dollar collectors item. 115 years old, originally chambered for the 30-03 cartridge. Made long before, the heat treated and nickel steel, improved metallurgy. Of the later production 03's.

It's your call? I wouldn't be pushing your luck though. With 30-06, high pressure modern ammo. Might be best, as a wall hanger for the man cave.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would be "low numbered springfield" I think 800,000 to 1,200,000 are the re-heat treated ones that are considered safe to shoot. I had one in that range that was punched out to 300 Gibbs. That rifle shoot really good.

I wouldn't want to shoot a low numbered unless it was the last rifle on earth. Some folks think all the weak ones have already failed, I think they are just waiting for their chance.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A long read, but this is the gospel on 1903 receivers:

http://m1903.com/03rcvrfail/