In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

sauer & Sohn m-38, value?

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
edited June 2019 in Ask the Experts
a fellow shooter brought this in, his dad brought it back from WW-2. other than the non-issue grips any idea of value. nothing on the auction side. thanks
GQMlKmql.jpg

Comments

• rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    Very common to find them with replacement grips. At least one U.S. manufacturer makes plastic replacement grips, that are realistic.

Markings and condition have great bearing on FMV. Need better photos, with close up of proof and markings. For accurate assessment of value.

Made in great quantity by the krauts. Run of the mill ones with replacement grips. Not likely to be very valuable.
  • yonsonyonson Member Posts: 892 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The picture is no help. If it is a 38 and not 38-H, its value would be greater. Quick way to tell: if the legend stamping on left side of slide is on one line, it is earlier. If caliber marking is dropped down lower, that would be two lines. There were a lot of variations, some more valuable, most not so much.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    a couple of better pixs, no other markings beside the ser. # and a waffenapmt (sp)
    0vHIe0kl.jpg
    2dTog8yl.jpg
  • rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    According to my reference, it's a late war, "Type 4". Due to the abbreviated slide legend. Phosphate finish. Magazine base and trigger, might also be made out of Zinc diecastings?

My WAG, if it's functional? $150-$300. Grips are the biggest stumbling block. I've seen many, with homemade replacement grips over the years. Collectors want them factory. Might be worth while to hunt up that outfit that makes the repo grips. If your buddy is looking to sell it? I think it was Triple K? Who also makes repo magazines.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    thanks rufe, he was just curious about it, I agree about late war production. as to
    " made out of Zinc diecastings?"..........no, all machined steel but a little on the rought side. it shoots well.
  • yonsonyonson Member Posts: 892 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe the trigger is a zinc casting, nothing else. Mine is also a late war, type 4. The left grip tends to swivel somewhat, interfering with the function of the cocking/decocking lever. Unfortunately, overtightening the screw can crack the plastic grip.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 38-H has factory grips, holster, cleaning rod, extra mag, better finish and sold considerably above that range. Like yours it is late war, went to the SS and shows the machine marks of rushed production and probably slave labor. The H makes a big difference.