In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Zastava CZ99 rifle ejector problem

yonsonyonson Member Posts: 904 ✭✭✭
edited May 2019 in Ask the Experts
Am trying to chase down a cure for an ejection problem on my friend's Zastava model CZ99 bolt-action .22, as he is not internet-connected. Some research online found that there is an inherent problem of difficult extraction/ejection with these guns. Anyone have input on this?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You/he needs to describe exactly the issue(s) before a cure can be found. I'd start with a proper cleaning and a very light 'stone' de-burr of working surfaces. Test the rifle with at least 2 or 3 brands of good ammo to help define the issues.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The issue is referenced in a report from another site, which found the dual extractors gripped the rim too tightly, making ejection difficult. I assume posting guidelines prevent me from naming the site in this blog.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It doesn't appear to have separate springs to drive the extractors. Fitting them by removing a little metal is an option, left one first. Spare parts look hard to find, it's way easier to take more metal off than to put it back. A real local gunsmith should be able to help you out.

This is ejection of a spent round not extraction of a live one - correct.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yup. Zastava is in the process of setting up a network in this country - not that they would be of any help on this problem.
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    try a bit of man handling, I believe the ejection of spent cartridges works best when the bolt is sharply moved rearward until it stops and some people operate the bolts too gently not allowing the cartridge to release from the extractor correctly or not at all.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Isn't the Remington model 5 the same gun as your cz99???

Any info or help from Remington?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Apparently the magazines are interchangeable, nothing else.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Replying to the comment by "pip", the owner of the rifle is highly experienced, having shot competitively for almost 70 years and with many types of weapons. The online article I referenced reported a similar problem - the extractors are too strong, resulting in difficult ejection which is distracting, making it tougher to shoot well, on which both sources agree.