In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

New Taurus 454

HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
edited August 2019 in Ask the Experts
What is your current opinion, on the Taurus revolvers? Reliability, service, eyc. Are they any better than they were 5-10 years ago THX Guys

Comments

• rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    Hawkshaw wrote:
    What is your current opinion, on the Taurus revolvers? Reliability, service, eyc. Are they any better than they were 5-10 years ago THX Guys

My experience, was with one of the original stainless Judges's. Which I bought used. Because of that, wouldn't buy any Taurus revolver. Without a ironclad replacement, or money back guarantee.

I don't have much faith, In a individual's experience with just one revolver. My belief is that Taurus, suffers from a serious quality control problem.

Bud's, is a high volume on-line seller. Who posts factual reviews, from it's large buyers base. I always go there when researching a purchase. To get the skinny, from the early adopters. Who just have to be the first in the neighborhood. To get their hands, on the newest wonder gun.
  • Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my experience it depends on the individual gun. But I could say the same about some other guns as well. AMT and Para come to mind.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rufesnow wrote:
    Hawkshaw wrote:

My experience, was with one of the original stainless Judges's. Which I bought used. Because of that, wouldn't buy any Taurus revolver. Without a ironclad replacement, or money back guarantee.

I don't have much faith, In a individual's experience with just one revolver. My belief is that Taurus, suffers from a serious quality control problem.

Bud's, is a high volume on-line seller. Who posts factual reviews, from it's large buyers base. I always go there when researching a purchase. To get the skinny, from the early adopters. Who just have to be the first in the neighborhood. To get their hands, on the newest wonder gun.

Quality control issues. My replacement .357 Tracker was no jewel. Cylinders did not lock anywhere close as tight as a Smith or Colt revolver. Accuracy was minimal to say the least. A 6" revolver should shoot pretty straight. It didn't. Every cylinder had its own mind. No target pistol or average pistol at all. Would not ever buy any of their firearms again. I tried selling it with no results. Non selling results maybe of unloading it on a trade deal. That worked for a Sig 320 Full size 9mm even trade. Guy needed a .357 to hunt with. I sure hope he keeps the game close enough to hit ..like 20 yd.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The older Taurus revolvers of the 1970's, and 1980's were decent, but their quality control went out the window by the time they hit the 1990's. It was very much hit and miss. Yes they have a life time warranty, but it is the same idea as buying a new car...if it is in the shop under warranty repair more than it is in the field, then what good is it? Your mileage may vary.
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Salesman was showing a customer a NIB 357 and upon opening the cylinder, the latch release broke off. IMHO, avoid Taurus. Usually if there is a problem with a pistol not working at the range I shoot at, its a Taurus.

Seriously doubt a Taurus could handle many hot 454 loads. Would stick with 45 Colt loads for practice. I own a Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 and have fired many hot loads using 325 and 350 gr slugs. Still locks up tight and is super accurate. Recoil from this Ruger actually broke my Leopold scope which Leopold repaired free of charge.

Lastly consider the resale value of their products. SW, Colt and Rugers appreciate. Taurus does not.
  • mnrivrat48mnrivrat48 Member Posts: 1,711 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ever since Al Gore invented the internet there has been a steady discussion on the Taurus guns. Some hate them and others love them. I read recently that Taurus was selling more handguns than any other brand on the market. I have no personal knowledge as to the truth of that.
    I have had personal experience with 4 of their revolvers, and mine have been very good and I am pleased with them. 2 model 94's (.22LR), 1 Tracker in .44 magnum, 1 Model 731 in Total Titanium (.32 H&R) which is still my carry gun.

I have also seen some really bad ones while working in a friends gun shop. A shipment of 5 Model Trackers in .44 magnum that were so full of machine chips that all 5 got returned to the distributer. A model 941 with numbers stamped on the front of the cylinder that ran into the exit ports, and had a cylinder and yoke assy that would slide out of the gun even when the retaining screw was tight. This gun was sent in for work to their repair station and when returned they did nothing about the cylinder front, and when received back you could not open the cylinder unless you unscrewed the yoke retaining screw.

Bottom line for me is inspection prior to buying. They make a lot of good guns, and some really lousy ones mixed in. Taurus revolvers are best purchased by folks who know what to look for upon doing a proper inspection.

I have been around guns including the gunsmithing end of them for over 50 years. As far as brand name on a gun, I have seen bad ones from all companies. I don't avoid but a couple brands and Taurus is not one of them. They make some nice guns at a very good price. Just know enough to look before you leap.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would want to look at it first before I bought one. That's the same for any gun theses days.