In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

L C Smith help please

varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2019 in Ask the Experts
local pawn shop has an LC Smith 12 ga. about 60% on the barrels, good bores, receiver "in the white" engraved, several screws buggered, wood dark but in good shape. Made by Hunter Arms. Has silver medallion about dime size in the fore arm wood. can someone tell me what grade this might be. sorry about the poor description but i dont know much about L C smith guns except i always wanted one. and one more question it has double triggers and a three position safety, why? the gun is tight and lever is still to the right. i can get it for $400 otd, this seems like a good deal to me, what say you.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    $400 for something you have always wanted seems like a good deal to me. Porsche 917S is one my list but it needs a few more zeros.

http://www.lcsmith.org/shotguns/1913grades.html might help some. There are books on LC's, might try your local library that can do inter library loans.

added I would "fix" the existing screws.
  • Options
    rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    According to the Blue Book. Hunter Arms Co. name, would date it between 1915 & 1945. If it's the,"Boxlock" action? If the engraving is factory original? It would be the model known as, the "Fulton Special". But it is supposed to have a checkered stock, with a full pistol grip.

If it is a factory original "Fulton Special"? $400 would be a good deal. A plain "Fulton" model, way more common. And according to the Blue Book, he has it priced, at what a common "Fulton", @ 60% would be worth.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    bought the L C Smith. its a sidelock sn 317449 does have factory engraving and checkered stock. very light gun. still wondering about the three position safety. safe is in the middle, you can move it either forward or back. anyone know anything about that. thanks
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    You got quite the deal. Hunter Arms sidelocks, are worth twice what the boxlocks are valued. Even if in field grade. If' it's factory original? It would do very well on the auction.

My WAG, is that the 3 position safety. Enables you, to select which barrel to shoot.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rufesnow wrote:
    You got quite the deal. Hunter Arms sidelocks, are worth twice what the boxlocks are valued. Even if in field grade. If' it's factory original? It would do very well on the auction.

My WAG, is that the 3 position safety. Enables you, to select which barrel to shoot.

Look at my post above yours rufe..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thank you all. i saw the link to the three position safety, neat. gun is a number two, looks like i got a really good deal. i would like to find some better screws or maybe restore these. a new project, how much better can it be.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    with a small drill chuck run by a variable speed sewing machine motor w a foot pedal and a dremel tool i have cloned small screws from a screw assortment by brownells or screw out of a what not box......