In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I Think I am Screwed - Yep, Let Go.

Comments

• SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you need to sell a motorcycle, a few guns, your body, what ever, get the CPAP. All the troubles your are describing are going to cost you hard if you don't. You will be healthier if you breath while sleeping.
  • ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When it comes CPAP time Ken, should the worst case come to be, help is but a txt away. Your health is paramount.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your scrip is for a fixed pressure, this machine will do the job just fine for a lot less money. I have one that's still brand new I got for a back-up to my Autoset10. Got it on sale for 189 bucks a couple of years back. The humidifier is included as well.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed-airstart-10-cpap-humidair
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was fired from a federal agency once.

Another agency called and begged me to work for them,,,with a raise.

So its true, when one door closes, another opens.

I hear Taco Bell is looking for a manager....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHDwRECFL8M
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Thanks to all. I appreciate the good words, and offers of help if needed. It means a lot.

I took Ricci's advice on posting too much on the internet, and went back and deleted some. Was awake about 3 am thinking about it, so I just got up and did it. Seemed like the smart thing to do.

I will get the two weeks of unused vacation, and I've got a decent amount in the bank. I will also get the 5 years worth of Profit sharing I have been accumulating. (That was my hope to use, for the early retirement at 60.) Its not crisis time yet.
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******
    edited November -1
    Ken, check your PM's
    edited November -1
    Brookwood wrote:
    Ken, check your PM's

Done Joel. Thank you.

May be something to consider.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    your insurance should continue for 30 days or remainder of next month, tell the DR you need your cpap rushed and why you are loosing your insurance, they may put a rush on it........... I still say don't give in, go down swinging, ask for video
  • ProceramicProceramic Member Posts: 334
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear this. Another reason why I'm so thankful for being self employed for the last 20+ years. Couldn't imagine punching a card and working for a company.
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If they terminate you, you shouldn?t have been working there.

That isn?t a corrective action. Management didn?t give you the tools to prevent the safety incident from occurring.

That?s managements fault- not yours.
    What they should be asking you is how to fix the process.

If they let you go that tells you what * are leading that place.
    edited November -1
    Warbirds wrote:
    If they terminate you, you shouldn?t have been working there.

That isn?t a corrective action. Management didn?t give you the tools to prevent the safety incident from occurring.

That?s managements fault- not yours.
    What they should be asking you is how to fix the process.

If they let you go that tells you what * are leading that place.

Thanks for the post Warbirds. I've been wondering how things worked out for you with your blowout with your Boss.

Those of us who have worked for years on the fast paced Production line, know full well that what "Safety" and what the Management/Foremen are telling us are diametrically opposed. I personally have said that very thing to "Safety," multiple times. You get a blank look, or An "I Know."

I went to a re-training on a "close call incident," where me and another guy were almost hurt by the "Hurry up, Hurry up culture," about 2 months ago. (Involving the un -safe Move of a Trailer we were working on. ) A Supervisor and a Foreman were the ones rushing the move. Hooked a Truck up to it, and yanked it out with no warning. I was the one who reported it to Safety.

When I asked "Safety" why we had to attend the "re-training class," I was told "Everyone involved had to attend the re-training." I stated at that time, "I do not see the Foreman or the Supervisor, who were up front and rushing the Move here? Why is that?" Deer in the headlights look. "I just do what I am told."

I had a lot to say at that meeting/class about what was really going on, on the floor/Production line, about the diametric opposition of what we were being told by the two sides - and the untenable ("No win.") Situation it placed us in every day. Move after move.

It went no-where.

I am now going to pay the price for that Culture.

I could go on, and on. (But) Have said enough, and will end it there.
  • Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look at it this way Ken, getting away from the stress will add years to your life. This may be the best thing that could have happened to you. If you need anything there are a lot of us here that will lend a hand.

Best wishes for a new stress free job. :D
    edited November -1
    Bubba Jr. wrote:
    Look at it this way Ken, getting away from the stress will add years to your life. This may be the best thing that could have happened to you. If you need anything there are a lot of us here that will lend a hand.

Best wishes for a new stress free job. :D

I know that very much Sir. Almost everyone that works there, Hates it. It is a common topic of conversation. The turnover rate is very high. I have been hanging on for a while now, because of the pay. Nothing around here comes close. (There is a reason for that.)

Posts like yours, (and many others here.) are the reason I Love this place, and consider a large majority of you Friends, Peers, and downright Family. There are a ton of great people on here.

Thank you Sir.

(And to ALL of you.)

-Ken-
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am gone for a few days and bam!

Good luck but I wouldn't even call them on Friday. Let them get in touch with you, that is chicken sh^t IMO; "Call on Fri to find out your employment status" oh thankyou mr HR *..........

Find a less stressful job closer to home.
    RLTW

edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:

Good luck but I wouldn't even call them on Friday. Let them get in touch with you, that is chicken sh^t IMO; "Call on Fri to find out your employment status" oh thankyou mr HR *..........

Knew I would hear from you, when you got within range Brother.

I am pretty much thinking the same thing.

Why should I call you, in order to find out I no longer work there?
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:

+1

Let them call you. Don't crawl you'll hate yourself.
    RLTW

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:

Ken, I am not sure how unemployment works in your location but if is anything like Michigan then you might want to rethink this. I have experience in this from both sides. Here if they fire you can collect unemployment compensation. If you don't call they can say you abandoned your job and you can't collect. Doesn't matter if they were going to fire you or not. Unless you give them the chance to actually terminate your employment in person or by phone then they can say you quit.

In Michigan (unemployment capital of the country) employers know all the tricks. The amount they have to pay to the unemployment fund is determined by how many employees they have fired and have collected from the fund. Nobody wants to collect unemployment but it can provide a cushion until you find a good paying job that is compatible with your lifestyle. Wouldn't want Buddy to go hungry while you are looking. Good luck, Bob
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:

From your earlier posts, it sounded like you agreed to call them.

You also stated that you have adopted a screw you attitude.

The big question is do you want to keep the job?

If you want to keep the job, call them and keep an open mind. You have already admitted to the incident being your fault, so simply be prepared to confirm how it will never happen again. It is possible that the call is just a formality and that you are going to be fired, but unless that is what you want, there is no reason to make sure it happens. As BobJudy stated, make the call. There are financial ramifications associated with quitting vs. being fired.

I had to fire one of our guys a couple of months ago. I have never like firing people, but when he reacted in, shall we say, a less than pleasant manner, it sure made it easier to let him go.

I wish you the best of luck in that I hope things turn out for you how you would like them to turn out.

Don
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:
    Sam06 wrote:

+1

Let them call you. Don't crawl you'll hate yourself.

On the other hand, Sam.

I want to be able to confront this Head On. (I am not afraid of you.) Tell them that I will be contacting Corporate in regards to the "Safety," Culture that is actually in place on the floor. (You know, Reality.)

If they are going to Fire me, I've got no problem contacting Corporate "Safety," and hanging some A$$es out to dry. Relaying what I have been saying for years now.

I will come at this Head On, as I have most everything in Life.
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:

From your earlier posts, it sounded like you agreed to call them.

You also stated that you have adopted a screw you attitude.

The big question is do you want to keep the job?

If you want to keep the job, call them and keep an open mind. You have already admitted to the incident being your fault, so simply be prepared to confirm how it will never happen again. It is possible that the call is just a formality and that you are going to be fired, but unless that is what you want, there is no reason to make sure it happens. As BobJudy stated, make the call. There are financial ramifications associated with quitting vs. being fired.

I had to fire one of our guys a couple of months ago. I have never like firing people, but when he reacted in, shall we say, a less than pleasant manner, it sure made it easier to let him go.

I wish you the best of luck in that I hope things turn out for you how you would like them to turn out.

Don

I pretty much know how this will play out, based on 5 years experience with this Company.

Of course I will not call them up, and say "Screw You." I will remain cordial, and listen to what the Head HR guy has to say. A decent individual. I have always been on good term with the two main HR individuals.

I am not Stupid enough, to shoot myself in the foot. (In that respect.)

If I can keep my job, that would be good for me over the next two years until retirement. I do not see that happening.
  • GilWilson1GilWilson1 Member Posts: 182
    edited November -1
    In an attempt to provide some humor you could always go to work at Riccis place removing brown coating form guns :)

As noted here many times one door closes one opens, sounds like you are a hell of a worker and productive, any place will do well to have you
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here hoping for the best Ken!
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I pretty much know how this will play out, based on 5 years experience with this Company.

Of course I will not call them up, and say "Screw You." I will remain cordial, and listen to what the Head HR guy has to say. A decent individual. I have always been on good term with the two main HR individuals.

I am not Stupid enough, to shoot myself in the foot. (In that respect.)

If I can keep my job, that would be good for me over the next two years until retirement. I do not see that happening.

I'll never understand employers like that.

Demanding perfection on penalty of termination does not create a work environment that fosters teamwork, productivity, or even quality for that matter.

Did not mean to suggest you were going to be less than professional, but there were a few comments that raised a flag.

Good luck.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    It would be a heck of a commute, but I think Volvo truck plant in Dublin, Va. is hiring. Union shop, pays good. I know a few who work there, they all love it.
    They say some commute from the Mount Airy, Winston-Salem area.
  • Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seems to me the guy on the ladder should have had a "spotter" to avoid this kind of a problem. When I was working maintenance I always had someone watching.
  • jrentjrent Member Posts: 89
    edited November -1
    I might be a little late, but I would take a lawyer with me to the meeting and also make sure every word is recorded. I did this with a family member and in the end they were the ones who paid the price. Check to see if they have the incident on camera and how it was documented. If neither of these are good they don't have a leg to stand on. With the family member I helped they had a family thing going on at the place of work and when I got done the company broke that up. One employee that had been there 20+ years, as the company did a past check on activity was given her pink slip.
    edited November -1
    I can understand wanting to get in a last punch but I doubt it will do any good they will just mark it down to a disgruntled employee who was fired.

Good luck either way.

The zero tolerance culture is really dumb and has hurt a lot of good folks. I survived it in the 90's in the Army only because I was in a Tier 1 unit.
    RLTW

• ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Watching recent events Sam, even in Tier 1 Units, it appears various command elements, left from the previous eight year administration, are still hiding in the woodpile. I am to a degree, as I'm certain you remain, somewhat 'tuned in" to various inner workings, it's enough to make ya want to puke.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ken,

Wishing you good thoughts this morning. I hope all goes/went well.
  • castingcasting Member Posts: 110
    edited November -1
    For what it's worth at this point, you could ask for a copy of the company's safety policy. It exists. There should be a set procedure for terminating an employee for safety issues. Was it followed. By your depiction, there should have been a safety man and a supervisor stationed at the scene for the duration of the ladder guys' activities.
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good luck this morning, Ken! Sure hope everything works out for you.
    edited November -1
    Just got off a very civil phone call with the Head of our HR department.

Bottom line, after getting the first chance I've had to explain what happened. After about a 10 minute conversation :

"We have decided to end your employment with us. I'm Sorry."

Replied that I was not surprised, as I have been there 5 years and know how these things play out.

Remained Civil the entire time.
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the job really meant that much to you Ken, I'm sorry. However, it could be a blessing in disguise. At least the game playing is over and you can move on with life. Good luck...
    edited November -1
    Thanks very much to ALL you guys. You have all been a good sounding board, a sympathetic ear to listen, and a shoulder to lean on. I appreciate it very much.

-Ken-
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear it Ken.

Keep your chin up and drive on. Maybe take a little vacation, go hunting.............ect

UPS is hiring seasonal workers as are several other places.
    RLTW

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:
    Sorry to hear it Ken.

Keep your chin up and drive on. Maybe take a little vacation, go hunting.............ect

UPS is hiring seasonal workers as are several other places.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a Walmart greeter..... :mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First off Congratulations to you for being able to walk away from this on top, you kept yourself out of the mud and can with pride move on.

Secondly let me say I wish you a speedy bounce back, it sucks and while I don't know all the details it sounds like you got caught up in a bad process and they lost a good man due to their failure to have better procedures in place. In this environment of litigation today some companies may be too quick to terminate to try to protect themselves from the lawyer brigade.

All that said I wish and pray for you to have a speedy recovery from this event and land squarely on your feet. Godspeed

Just got off a very civil phone call with the Head of our HR department.

Bottom line, after getting the first chance I've had to explain what happened. After about a 10 minute conversation :

"We have decided to end your employment with us. I'm Sorry."

Replied that I was not surprised, as I have been there 5 years and know how these things play out.

Remained Civil the entire time.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ken,

Take this as its meant from the heart - please, as I have been there and felt as you do and responded as you intend - and battles the mixture of self righteous anger and shame and immediate need to feel I fought back for righteous reasons...

You will not get your job back - you will not come out on the plus side of a lawsuit - you will not change the outlook or behavior of corporate management - you might get denied unemployment benefits - or be labeled in the govt. Bureaucracy as a bad actor or a non hire...

You have invested your heart and soul and sweat and blood and time and treasure into this job - you have been IMHO a model employee and a good man - they don't care.

I guarantee - as unpalatable and nauseating and immoral as it seems - that HR and managing have viewed your cost to the employee health care system at this point and the number of days issued dealing with your very real health issues as a factor is dismissing you or not retaining you.

Equally important to their formulas will be your age and decline and the brief window they might have left with you before you retire or move on of your own accord...

Also consider that they will see you as disruptive and seeking revenge - as a hand grenade with the pin straightened - they will cover their own add over treating you legally or ethically or morally or fairly...

You will spend energy and effort and time and heart and soul and courage beating a dead horse.

Complaints to OSHA or to any oversight agency or scheme (ISO or PRIMUS or HACCP) will get rebuffed and have zero impact unless someone dies or loses a limb or is blinded - their lawyers will squash it working the system...

I understand in my head and heart why you want to react as you do - why it's the core of who you are as a good man and friend and employee...

I have been on both sides of this issue and have fought hard battles I had no chance of winning and which ultimately had no lasting impact or footprint other then hurting myself...

The best bet - the way to show them they cannot hurt you is to move on asap and keep winning without them - without so much as a hiccup or misstep...

It's hard for a good man to wash his hands and walk away from 5 years as if you were a nobody with no impact - trust me I know...

But why continue to let them cause you stress or anger or adrenaline - they have dismissed you and deleted you and disrespected you.

You win by not letting it affect you - by smiling and staying with the minor road bump in what was your master plan anyway...

Call your doctors and see if young get 90 day scrip supplies and if you can force in every last appointment and payment due before you ate cut off - work the system and bleed them dry for all you are worth - it should help somewhat...

I have gone out in a blaze of glory - fighting for all I was worth and I am sad to say in the end it meant nothing to anyone but me.

We already respect you - and value you - they don't now and never will.

It's impossible for men like us not to become invested and not to give more than we are obligated - not to care about our jobs and work and coworkers and the end result of our labors.

You know you did good - you know that you always have and always will.

I simply - through the sum of my life's experiences - don't think you can win or make a difference in this situation - and don't want you to waste precious resources on what is now a dead end and a closed issue.

That does not mean your sterile or impotent or worthless or old or have no value - but why allow them to keep affecting your life in any way - cut them off and cut them out - and while it might cost like crazy find out about COBRA continuation of your health care for another 3 months and systematically bleed them dry and get what you deserve...

I support you with no hesitation - and no questions...

And for what it's worth it's unfair and I am sorry it happened to you.

Hang in there and keep the faith and keep in touch.

Mike
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just like every other day in a man's life you just keep stepping.