In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1 Garand Education and fun - PICS ADDED

Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭
edited March 2019 in General Discussion
About 9 years ago I purchased a service grade M1 Garand from the CMP. I had always wanted one and finally bit the bullet. Back then it took about 3 months to get one and they were $575.00 plus shipping. When it arrived I fawned over it, bought a couple spam cans of ammo, a buttstock cleaning kit, bayonet and scabbard and put it in the safe for later. It is a post war Springfield. The wood was beautiful and the metal was in great shape. I was hesitant to shoot it because it looked so nice.

Fast Forward to about a month ago when I noticed that my local gun range had a "high power" night that you could bring anything to. I decided that now would be the time. I figured that the unit needed a good going over so I watched a series of videos from Brownells on the disassembly, cleaning, lubrication and re-assembly of the gun. I purchased a can of Lubriplate as this was the original grease that the army used and set about the task at hand. I was amazed at the simplicity/complexity of the weapon. I was able to strip, lube, re-assemble and function test in just a couple of hours. I already had the enbloc clips from my spam can purchase but I purchased some S&B M1 30-06 ammo for the range. Last night everything came together and I went to the range.

First thing that I learned was that the bullet tips absolutely had to be equal and set in the clip. I had a clip that had a bullet that was a little proud and the clip was not going in the gun. Small correction and it popped right in. I tested the safety and the gun would not fire. Safety off and BANG! There was less recoil than I figured. The only 30-06 that I had previously shot were bolt action. I was at 25 yards (max distance at the indoor range) and my eyes aren't what they used to be so I lined up the sights on the blob that was waaaaaaayyyyy down there. Grouping were good considering this was the first time out with it. It was a silhouette target and all shots were kill shots. Nothing out of the 8 ring with some purposeful head shots thrown in.

Second thing that I learned was a Garand can attract some attention. Especially when the last round is fired and the clip ejects. I guess this is something that many shooters have not experienced. The shells were consistent with their landing and the clips were right next to my feet so I was able to retrieve them. I only put 4 clips thru but I had an incredible time. I have alot of respect for the soldiers who carried these day in and out into battle. Not light by any means but I'm sure they never felt under gunned.

I would absolutely recommend getting a Garand while you still can and shoot it like its supposed to be shot. My M1 Carbine has been my favorite for years and I did take it and shoot that as well but the Garand now has a special place in my heart. What an amazing piece of machinery.

5VKhjKh.jpg

nXuY0kB.jpg

lviKRDk.jpg

q24o0vB.jpg

ttUob1g.jpg

hX6wIUO.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are great guns, Powerful, accurate and reliable.

I Have 2, a "service grade" and a Match rifle built by Glenn Nelson. When I was in Afghanistan I thought about having a M1 and I would not have felt undergunned.
    RLTW

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a ton of fun to me. Nice story. Any pics of your Garand?
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There used to be, IIRC, monthly or bimonthly military rifle shoots at a local range here, and I'd always wanted to attend one, with my Garand. My uncle did a few times with his, and his 1917 Enfield, but I never got the chance. As far as I know, they don't do them anymore, and I'm not sure if it was due to lack of interest, or that whoever showed up with a Swedish Mauser always seemed to sweep it. :roll:

I too would love to see pics of your M1, Mark. 8-) Might be the incentive I need to pick up another one myself.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got my High Power Expert card shooting an American Legion M1 Garand National Match. I had a reweld Garand in Alaska that shot very well. Last year I bought a Mark Christian M1 to replace the one I sold in Alaska. I shoot it often with 46 grains of IMR 4895 pushing a 168 gr SMK. They truly are what General George S. Patton claimed; "In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised." I agree with him. Its superior performance over bolt action rifles saved many American lives in WWII and Korea costing the enemy dearly.
  • Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I appreciate your thoughs on shooting the M1.

I have two, one is an IH and the other is SA. Up to now they have been safe queens. I did not want to shoot them as I did not want them to lose value.

But you got me to now wanting to shoot them. Once the weather warms up I am going bring them to the range and do some shooting with them.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For use in casual range day fun or in DCM / CMP / for record qualifying club high powered military rifle match shoots I have an M1 with an LMR bbl that has MW and TE scores that both spec below 1...

I have international match globe insert aperture front and NM peep rear sights installed...

Brownells adjustable gas plug...

An early 80's CMP purchase that I was lucky to receive with a tighter and more accurate bbl than a national match or star grade or Dutch V marked example...

It's a shooter and does not at first glance appear to be anything special.

I like to bring out oddball or orphan US Army issue military rifles to the CMP high power shoots to generate interest and use to spark a conversation were I can use them as teaching tools...

The .30 US Ross and .236 Lee Navy straight pull rifles always generate interest and most folk have never seen a Warner swazey optic mounted on an American rifle...

The pattern 17 enfield and krag constabulary saddle ring carbine also draw the eye.

Wish I had a Johnson semiautomatic with the internal rotary magazine or a rod bayonet Springfield or a pederson device for use and display.

Mike
  • Options
    gruntled2gruntled2 Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had two but wound up selling the poorer one for enough to cover the cost of both. I've still never shot it & frankly I'm just a bit afraid of it. I still remember the M1 thumb I got in Basic so long ago.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    These below referenced aforementioned links may prove fascinating and enlightening to experts and novices alike - some of my favorite bookmarked clips...

Please provide feedback on them for the rest of the herd.

https://youtu.be/dDOKg-1eNpI

https://youtu.be/er__eN-Xm_M

https://youtu.be/NBAqqRiJRLQ

https://youtu.be/1muIxgraFt0

https://youtu.be/vfPZSxxPf1o

https://youtu.be/c10_OHP4u8I

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bump - BTT

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am trying to upload pics of my Garand but PhotoBucket has done something with my account. I will set up an IMGUR account when I get a little more free time.
  • Options
    badchrisbadchris Member Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I wish I would have bought more than one when I had the chance, same with the surplus ammo. :cry: I love mine and it always brings attention when I pull it out. The 8th shot is the best lol!

Hey MrMike, how do you like the adjustable plug? I've been thinking about trying one, but not sure I have a need for it. I've got a small supply of HXP left, some ammo manufacturers are now offering Garand spec factory loads, and I have the ability to handload to surplus specs if I invest in dies & components.
    Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Designed to allow use of commercial ammo and hunting loads and heavier / hotter ammo without destroying the gas operated system...

I bought it on a lark - tried it once with 200 grain Remington core lock ammo and some Monolithic safari solids that were heavy loads...

Have not adjusted again since I bought it and tested it out.

The heaviest stuff I run through it is MIL AP ammo as its very stable and consistent and accurate - and old school match shooters trick...

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I added some pics to the original post. Sorry about the poor quality.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info, Mike! Good to know they work as intended.
    Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here's mine from when it arrived from the CMP. It looks better with the bayonet on!
    46689154974_a979aae2d6_z.jpg