In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Crimpson trace grips

Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
edited March 2019 in General Discussion
My son-in-law just bought a new Kimber compact in a .45 for a carry weapon. He was looking at a Crimpson Trace grip for it, which is not a cheap option.

I told him to practice with the ammo he wants to load and learn the proper muscle control and memory for a carry pistol and forget the expensive grips.

Forum thoughts, pro or con ???

Comments

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,358 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    They're a laser sight just like any other laser sight. Spendy? Yes. Good? Yes. We have two sets on J frame Smiths, and they are great. It all depends if you want a sight where you have to raise the gun, and sight down the barrel, or if you want to have the ability to just point the weapon. To each their own, but if it was me, and I had the money to spend on a Kimber, I would spend the extra $180-$400 to buy a CT grip.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    SPEND THE $$, GREAT PRODUCT AND FAST TO USE. THIS ISN'T A TARGET PIECE
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMO they are a crutch.

Buy ammo and practice. Take a few lessons from someone who knows what they are doing and practice more.

Once you have practiced and your muscle memory, eye and hand coordination is set you will never need a laser which takes battery's that will fail.
    RLTW

• Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:
    IMO they are a crutch.

Buy ammo and practice. Take a few lessons from someone who knows what they are doing and practice more.

Once you have practiced and your muscle memory, eye and hand coordination is set you will never need a laser which takes battery's that will fail.

+1000
    Learn to aim and shoot what you are aiming at.
    Learning to shoot at a red point of light is a habit that is not the best thing to rely on.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:
    a laser which takes battery's that will fail.

They don't just fail. They give plenty of warning by getting dim. My batteries have been in my Crimson Trace grips for over 3 years and they're still bright. Even if they did fail it's not like you don't have the sights that came on the gun.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:
    a laser which takes battery's that will fail.

They don't just fail. They give plenty of warning by getting dim. My batteries have been in my Crimson Trace grips for over 3 years and they're still bright. Even if they did fail it's not like you don't have the sights that came on the gun.

I have used them. Anything with battery's can fail. What if you fall in the water or fall on your gun and jam the laser, or as guys found out in Iraq that had them the rubber cross over piece can fray and cut the connection from the switch/battery to the laser. But that was from guys who carried a handgun all the time in a holster on their body.

Its a crutch IMO. You can justify them all you want but I am not going to change my opinion.

I would rather buy $180 worth of ammo and practice with it.
    RLTW

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cripes.. always someone looking at the downside. Nothing on the crimsons are bad. I have them on the Ruger SR1911. Dead on. From the hip or sighted where the laser is squeeze the trigger.
  • Options
    dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a Springfield Loaded Stainless 1911 45 that came with 15 mags, the regular grips and Crimson Trace laser grips.

The Crimson Trace grips were on the gun when i bought it. They are still on it. The battery is removed. When i shoot the gun next time i will put a battery in it and i will be good to go.

If i am not going to shoot that gun for a long time i will remove the battery just so there is no corrosion damage. I doubt if that is possible but its just what i do. The 1911 gets shot every 3 years or so. My house go to gun is a Springfield XD Tactical 45 that holds 13 rounds and has a 5 inch barrel.

I have had the gun for 6 or more years.

I love the grips. If you do not want to use them you do not have to use them every time you shoot the gun. The gun also has night sights.

I will keep the crimson trace grips on the gun because i like them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:
    Anything with battery's can fail.

You talk like the gun doesn't have sights on it. If it fails big deal just use the regular sights that are on the gun. :roll:
  • Options
    mnrivrat48mnrivrat48 Member Posts: 1,711 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have only limited experience with the laser grips but was not a fan of them. The ones I tried were on a few friends guns and I found that activating the laser would always throw my natural point and shoot off.

I was also watching a lady at the range one day who had a laser on her pistol. She would put the laser on target and as she pulled the trigger I would see the laser dip down on the target and she would shoot low near every time.

I understand that perhaps training techniques would correct those issues, but for me I will stick with what I know works for me.
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    The defense of my family (self included) deserves every advantage I can afford, be it firearm, ammunition, sights, holster, or training.

I own several lasers and have used them to good effect on a couple occasions (extreme low light).

xq96XxB.jpg
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mnrivrat48 wrote:
    I have only limited experience with the laser grips but was not a fan of them. The ones I tried were on a few friends guns and I found that activating the laser would always throw my natural point and shoot off.

I was also watching a lady at the range one day who had a laser on her pistol. She would put the laser on target and as she pulled the trigger I would see the laser dip down on the target and she would shoot low near every time.

I understand that perhaps training techniques would correct those issues, but for me I will stick with what I know works for me.

Having that laser allowed you to see her anticipating recoil at the shot. With out the laser you would have a hard time diagnosing the issue and fixing the technique. I hope you mentioned what you saw to her. She is probably dong it and not realizing why her shots are low and most likely left for a right handed shooter.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    mnrivrat48 wrote:
    The ones I tried were on a few friends guns and I found that activating the laser would always throw my natural point and shoot off.

That's the good thing about Crimson Trace laser grips is you don't have to activate them they do it automatically as you grip the gun to shoot it.

n0XXIUm.jpg
  • Options
    WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only pistol I've carried with a laser was my bodyguard 380. While the laser made it easy for "point n click" it was a pita to activate the laser with its switch being up on the front.

I've tried a couple of laser gripped pistols in the past. I had to change my grip to get the laser activated (maybe it's only me but it's my story...). Having to do that turned me off for laser grips.

Now, if the grip wee a little easier (for me) to grip properly and get the light lit, I'd probably consider it.

My EDC is a G43 in 9mm. I'd love to hear about anyone's experience with laser grips on a G43...

To the "laser grips vs. get ammo and train" question... I'd say - get a laser and ammo, then train so you are competent with both. That way you'll be accurate with the laser and when it fails, without it...
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,001 ******
    edited November -1
    If you invested in a Kimber,and have the money for the crimson grips,get them. Train/practice using both the laser and the sights. Done.

I have a Kimber SCU as my everyday carry. I do not have crimson grips on this gun,but we do have them on a couple other guns. We like them and they have worked well.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Montana Joe, I think you should have both a laser sight and regular sights on your gun. Practice with your regular sites diligently, and in extremely low light situations where you know where your target is, but can't make out your sites even with tritium sights the laser can make all the difference of weather you hit your target or hit an innocent bystander. Just my opinion
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently bought a Ruger sp 101 with a set on it. Gun shoots good and the sights are good. I am reserving judgment on the Crimson Trace grips. The grips are nice, but I'm not sold on the laser yet. I've put about 200 rounds through it and I've yet to really use the laser much, it's just different and I am going to need some adjustment time I guess. I am going to have to do some dim light/dark shooting to really see if it has any real value.

For what it's worth, I didn't even turn the laser on when I was teaching my daughter in law with the Ruger. She did great without it.

I can see where it might have some value if a person put the time in to really incorporate it into their shooting. I can also see where it might be useful if you have to shoot from a compromised or abnormal position.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have them on several pistols, both revolver and semi auto. They are NOT a gimmick, excellent for very quick target acquisition and they have a certain psychological intimidation factor, that could help eliminate the need to pull the trigger.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was shooting at an outdoor range in Birmingham one time and I was using my S&W 340PD in one of the photos above with the Crimson Trace laser grips. I was holding the gun at about waist height and shooting at metal targets. The guy that ran the place was watching from about 30 yards away and when I started to leave he said you shoot that snubby from the hip better than most people shoot using their sights. It was daylight and he was to far away to see the laser when I was shooting. I just smiled and thanked him for the compliment. :D
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bad guys love them. They give away peoples positions.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    chiefr wrote:
    Bad guys love them. They give away peoples positions.

You best stay out of the daylight because it'll give your position away to. :roll: