In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Buffalo Gnat Repellent

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,433 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2019 in General Discussion
I went to a biker event in Savanna, IL last year and had a great time. I'm going back on Memorial Day weekend like last year. The only problem was all the buffalo gnats. This place is within walking distance of the Mississippi river. The damn bites itched me for 2 weeks. I found an easy homemade repellent on-line last year but didn't save it. Anyone have any experience with these things and what did you use?

Thanks guys,
It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,455 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Vanilla seems to help
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I heard trapper Essence of Skunk works too.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In new Jersey they are pretty bad - but in Alaska they are like sparrows and viciously attack you like dive bombers and you need antiaircraft guns and flak and dragon skin body armor...

I would find out what they use in Alaska and think it's probably the best - there are native American repellents made from animal oils and fat and herbs that stink pretty bad but I am told are effective...

Mike
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cut a hole in the * of your britches and this will keep them pecker Knats out of your face.

(this is what the Indains done in the old days)
  • Options
    Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try some repellant called , Bug Band. Hade to order it on- line. It makes you smell like a French call girl, but what the hell, it works. Comes in a little push spray bottle.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ""Repellents containing DEET have been reported effective for humans (but may need to be reapplied frequently), and wearing light-colored clothing may help keep the gnats away. They are definitely attracted to dark-colored clothing. People being tormented by buffalo gnats should be encouraged by the fact that the adult flies generally only live 4 to 5 weeks and should go away in hot summer.""

From http://extension.msstate.edu/publications/information-sheets/what-do-about-buffalo-gnats-or-black-flies

Also try using Avon's "skin-so soft" lotion.

If all else fails....I recommend a .410 loaded with # 8 or #9 shot. Low brass will suffice.
    {hey!!! it's a gun website!!}
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Slather on some IR3535, Lemon eucalyptus oil, Picaridin, and some Deet along with light colored clothes and a face net LOL.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Plains Indians hunted buffalo which provided them with everything ... food, needles, clothing, shelter, etc.

Why not ask an American Indian what their ancestors used to ward off Buffalo Gnats and skeeters :?:
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Smear Buffalo poop all over yourself it may not help with the nats but it will keep everyone else away from you
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The-Sharps-.45-100-Rifle-courtesy-NRA-Museums.jpg
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,433 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I ordered some Bug Band wipes and hope for the best. Hey cornflk1, not all French call girls smell bad. :D
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quick&Dead wrote:
    The Plains Indians hunted buffalo which provided them with everything ... food, needles, clothing, shelter, etc.

Why not ask an American Indian what their ancestors used to ward off Buffalo Gnats and skeeters :?:

Refer back: I posted above what the Indains used. ;)
  • Options
    Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Okie743 wrote:
    Quick&Dead wrote:

Refer back: I posted above what the Indains used. ;)

I didn't know American Indians wore 'britches' .. thought they wore a loin cloth. ;)
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******
    edited November -1
    The solution should involve a gun, or gun product. Have you tried Hoppes #9?
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain