In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Motor Oil

Missouri Mule K30Missouri Mule K30 Member Posts: 2,092 ✭✭
edited March 2019 in General Discussion
Just finished changing the oil in the Wifes 07' Yukon. The wife calls me on her way home
and asked if I could change the oil. I said let me see if I have a Wix filter and oil.

Well yep have the filter but not enough 5w30 Valvoline. So I end up putting a quart
of Mobil1 that I use in the Artic Cat. So she asks if I put in any of the Lucas. I said
that I Added Mobil1 because I ran short on Valvoline.

So when we bought the truck Mobil1 was in it. One year old, she says to put in
Valvoline. So I always use Valvoline so no big deal but Mobil1 or synthetic was
in there so I just do what she wants, after all it is her ride. I suppose I will add
some Lucas in a couple weeks.

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless the additive (Lucas) is specifically for use with synthetic oil, you're better off w/o it.
    I used to sell "BG" products which (at that time) were not recommended for use with synthetic or blend oils.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,378 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Well, to each their own, but I would not have done any of that.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a better mix...
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What do all those chemical engineers working for the oil companies know????
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,294 ******
    edited November -1
    Mixing dino oil with synthetic? Are you trying to get kicked off this forum? Remain clam everyone!!
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a couple cases of oil I wanted to use up so I called Mobile and asked if it was ok to add Mobile 1 to the oil. They replied that was referred to as a blend and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it and the Mobile 1 in cold temps was desirable. I have been running a blend for years.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JimmyJack wrote:
    I had a couple cases of oil I wanted to use up so I called Mobile and asked if it was ok to add Mobile 1 to the oil. They replied that was referred to as a blend and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it and the Mobile 1 in cold temps was desirable. I have been running a blend for years.

Just add a quality molybdenum nano oil additive under it's direction into dino oil and you won't have much friction on cold startups on all wear points in your entire engine.

serf
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mixing dino oil with synthetic? Are you trying to get kicked off this forum? Remain clam everyone!!

hqdefault.jpg
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Knowing dudes who dont change oil and others that let oil levels run very low. I think you are ahead of the curve with your decision....314534_cf352d7f2748be6c31a3cede0e52db56.jpg
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OMG. You mixed Synthetic oil with standard oil?

Are you Crazy?

You know, you can buy Synthetic Blend, right? ;)

Just changed oil in the Nissan Versa commuter. Full synthetic, Wix filter.

Warranty changes, to maintain "Lifetime Warranty," on my Jeep are every 3000K miles, regular oil. (At the dealership.) 4 oil changes plus filter are $90. Not too bad.

I'd use synthetic, and do it myself, if I could. (And maintain warranty.) Verboten. :x
  • Options
    Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    First, I wouldn't put Valvoline oil in any engine and 2nd, I would never mix brands of oil ever.

That's just me.

It's your motor, do whatever you want.

:D
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you blended dino and synthetic????? good thing the oil companies never do that! ;):lol::D

im sure it will likely run just fine. :D
  • Options
    tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JimmyJack wrote:

+ 1
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • Options
    Missouri Mule K30Missouri Mule K30 Member Posts: 2,092 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was changing oil at Mobil in 75' I would ask what brand does the customer usually run. Pennzoil or Quaker State most often. Then I would get "Mobil" of course since they get changed at the station.

Remember the air bell, would drive me nuts when the bicycle kids came by.

When changing valve cover gaskets on any make of car that had the valley packed with grease I could not believe the vehicle even ran, I would ask the station owner what causes it and he said between not changing oil and STP. Since the car leaked so much the Guy thought that putting so much oil in the car automatically changed it.

So at a young age I learned that as long as you change oil regular, 3000 miles you should get good life from a engine. And change gaskets for leaks instead of STP.
    And Valvoline is the best oil. And Bean Oil for 2 stroke motorcycles, Bel-Ray or Castrol.