In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Know Your Bears!

Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,372 ***** Forums Admin
edited April 2019 in General Discussion

Comments

• Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,454 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    . People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.
    Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.
  • Options
    WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    savage170 wrote:
    . People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.
    Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.

:lol:
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We actually have begun to get black bears over the last 10 years or so - we even had one that made the news when it showed up in downtown delran NJ and local law enforcement stationed armed officers on the front lawn of kindercare while the children were evacuated out the back - the bear went up a tree in a bank parking lot and got tranquilized and relocated...

He did not cause any trouble but people got upset or concerned simply from his appearance.

We have had the occasional black bear show up in delanco at the confluence of the Delaware river and the rancoacas creek north and east of Philly...

Scat and sign and tracks and territorial marking of trees have been witnessed on amico island on occasion - the park rangers say they migrate or wander through seasonally.

Traffic and security cameras recorded them crossing the river from Bristol bucks county PA - they were walking across the Burlington Bristol bridge at like 2:30 am foraging or exploring trash and dumpsters and eating the odd pet dog and crossing back.

I understand they can be dangerous - when I was a kid I watched one shoot across a yard at an unbelievable rate of speed - climb up on deck / porch and snatch a dog - breaking it's neck and running off with it and in the pine barrens they get into the garbage but I like nature and I like black bears - I think if you are cautious and situationaly aware they are not an overwhelming threat...

But I guess that opinion probably will provoke an angry or critical response.

Mike
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was 16 and my girl friend and I were sitting on a rock in the Smokey Mountains one afternoon in 1965. I heard something behind us and looked around and a black bear was very close and walking toward us. Normally I wouldn't have been all that alarmed but his bear had a cub with her and I thought to myself this ain't gonna be good.

My heart went from about 80 beats a minute to 1000+ in a span of 1 second. Thankfully she just looked at us and sorta snorted and walked on by.

I'm glad we don't have grizzly's in the Smokies. If it had been a grizzly I don't think the outcome would have so good.

I had one thing on my side though...I could run a lot faster than my girl friend. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,282 ******
    edited November -1
    savage170 wrote:

Bear spray has proven to be more effective on brown bears than black bears.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was 16 and my girl friend and I were sitting on a rock in the Smokey Mountains one afternoon in 1965. I heard something behind us and looked around and a black bear was very close and walking toward us. Normally I wouldn't have been all that alarmed but his bear had a cub with her and I thought to myself this ain't gonna be good.

My heart went from about 80 beats a minute to 1000+ in a span of 1 second. Thankfully she just looked at us and sorta snorted and walked on by.

I'm glad we don't have grizzly's in the Smokies. If it had been a grizzly I don't think the outcome would have so good.

I had one thing on my side though...I could run a lot faster than my girl friend. :mrgreen:
    She knew you were there and was not deterred. If you had startled her or started to act threatening, you'd be dead.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thought maybe this had to do with the NFL ;)
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stabs.jpg
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bear spray is like pouring arbys horsey sauce over your head...

It's just seasoning for the bears palate...

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1

Mike
    I don't think it's recommended to spray it on yourself. You're supposed to spray it in the bear's face.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That documentary footage audio of that hippie idiot and his girlfriend being on the worst end of an ursine encounter is quite disturbing.

And I just knew I was using my bear spray incorrectly.

Mike
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Mike
    do you have any clue how bear spray is to be deployed?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's just humor or ironic jests and witty repartee or quirky banter.

My personal choice would be the 22 ounce coke bottle sized fogger that has the output and range of an industrial fire extinguisher and seems popular with residents of Alaska - though I know some prefer the liquid stream variety.

I can't recall off the top of my head which brand I have but it has the oversized and overbuilt red trigger top and a sturdy belt clip - which I prefer over the holster.

And mine is maybe 10 years old and I know many recommend replacing them frequently to ensure potency and function.

I think it's capsacian and Carolina reaper extract.

Mike
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    327918_31e159bd0b8069c510b278607a8c3ba0.gif
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,009 ******
    edited November -1
    on the serious side; darn tootin

on the humorous side; :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Jim,with your experience,how serious do you take the expiration date on bear spray? To the day,within months,ignore it?? And how do you dispose of expired spray? Thanks.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I moved down South about 6 years ago from up North, (Extreme NW NJ.) right on the line with NY. Could litereally throw a rock from the backyard of my 1947 Chestnut Log Cabin, in to NY.

Bearfort Ridge and the AT, behind my house, 22 mi. circumfrence lake to my front. Bears everywhere. ("The last wooded corrider from PA into the Catskills.") Probably not a couple weeks would go by without an up close and personal Bear encounter that would take place, coming from my back driveway, through the woods to my side door.

A year or so ago, 1st Fatal Bear encounter ever in NJ. About 3 miles from my old house.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,037 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Didn't see Polar or the "Bay Area Bears" :lol:.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    GreatGuns wrote:
    montanajoe wrote:
    Jim,with your experience,how serious do you take the expiration date on bear spray? To the day,within months,ignore it?? And how do you dispose of expired spray? Thanks.

I appreciate your confidence in me Joe. I take the expiration date very seriously. Treat it as you should treat a fire extinguisher in your home or shop. It's not there to make you buy a new one every four years (might be 5 now). Due to our temperature fluctuations each year here in Montana, the propellant "may" lose it's integrity in a given period being exposed to extreme temps on each end (freezing and sub zero fall/winter hunting, extreme high temps in Summer). The question we were instructed at the gun store when UDAP first came out was: "How fast and good are you with a gun in an emergency situation, and what's your life worth?" The one's that puffed up their chests and declared how proficient they were with a gun, typically referenced a 1911 or more common in 2009 was "a Glock," needed the bear spray more than anyone. Ego gets you killed, carrying the wrong gun in the woods proves it pretty quickly. Being prepared, trained for the environment and knowledge by experience (not YouTube or books) will keep you alive, along with some luck in certain circumstances. Thanks again Joe........now here come the haters to prove their true characters to all. To the rest, I wish you a good day. ;)

Jim

Thanks for the reply. Yes,our tempeture can be extreme,and a fact I didn't consider. I've got a spray that's 3 years expired. I will be replacing it. How do you dispose of the old ones?
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    montanajoe wrote:
    GreatGuns wrote:
    montanajoe wrote:

I appreciate your confidence in me Joe. I take the expiration date very seriously. Treat it as you should treat a fire extinguisher in your home or shop. It's not there to make you buy a new one every four years (might be 5 now). Due to our temperature fluctuations each year here in Montana, the propellant "may" lose it's integrity in a given period being exposed to extreme temps on each end (freezing and sub zero fall/winter hunting, extreme high temps in Summer). The question we were instructed at the gun store when UDAP first came out was: "How fast and good are you with a gun in an emergency situation, and what's your life worth?" The one's that puffed up their chests and declared how proficient they were with a gun, typically referenced a 1911 or more common in 2009 was "a Glock," needed the bear spray more than anyone. Ego gets you killed, carrying the wrong gun in the woods proves it pretty quickly. Being prepared, trained for the environment and knowledge by experience (not YouTube or books) will keep you alive, along with some luck in certain circumstances. Thanks again Joe........now here come the haters to prove their true characters to all. To the rest, I wish you a good day. ;)

Jim

Thanks for the reply. Yes,our tempeture can be extreme,and a fact I didn't consider. I've got a spray that's 3 years expired. I will be replacing it. How do you dispose of the old ones?

Spray it on a Liberal. :D
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    montanajoe wrote:

To answer your question Joe,

Answer to first question. Pepper spray and bear spray loses their potency after the best by use date. So do you really want to take a chance on outdated pepper spray?

Pepper spray is usually best used within 2 years of manufacturer which is the best by use date printed on the canister. My son works for the Post Office and he had to use Hills pepper spray once that was five or six years old, and it was ineffective on a dog after that he told the post office to get new pepper spray canisters and dispose of the old ones..

Here's a C & P from the web on how to dispose of outdated pepper spray

1 Never incinerate.

#2 In most cities, simply empty the container before disposing of it in the regular city trash pick-up. To do this, press the valve and release all contents and pressure. Be sure to stand upwind in a well ventilated area when doing this so you won?t harm yourself in the process. You can also spray directly at the ground (grass, dirt, etc.), but choose a spot that is not frequented by humans or pets. Follow the same precautions you would if you were testing your pepper spray container to ensure its effectiveness.

#3 Talk to your city waste pickup about how they prefer you dispose of the empty container. Each city has a different set of steps or protocol for this type of waste disposal. Many times empty aerosol cans (such as a pepper spray can) will be permitted to be disposed of in a normal manner.

#4 If you don?t empty the pepper spray container, the item will most likely be considered universal waste (which is a hazardous waste). Many times a city?s landfill will collect this type of waste, charging a small or no disposal fee.

#5 Most waste disposal facilities require your product have its original cap on, so be sure you keep the cap on the pepper spray can. If the product is leaking, put it in a plastic container with a lid that fits tight. When hauling it to the waste disposal location, be sure to keep it in the bed of your truck or another well ventilated area. Be sure to call ahead to ensure you?ve followed the proper rules of disposal before going to the waste disposal location. Also be sure to ask about prices for disposal, just in case the facility charges.

#6 If you get the pepper spray on your skin or clothing while emptying it or transporting a leaking canister, don?t panic. Simply remove your clothing as soon as possible and refrain from touching your face. Wash your hands with soap immediately and any other body parts that might have been exposed to the spray. If you are feeling the effects of the spray on your skin, you can use milk or a paste of baking soda on your skin to help cool the sting.
  • Options
    fatcat458fatcat458 Member Posts: 386 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back during Roman Gladiator times they would pit a bear against a lion or tiger.. Bear almost always won... Even when the odds were two lions/tigers against a bear.. They are likely the most efficient and land based killing machine GOD ever made.. l used to hunt Black Bear in Potter County, PA back in the 90s. Never killed one, but it was great excitement just being in the same woods with one. We found a fresh dug den once.. lt was about the size of a 55gallon oil drum.. Perfectly round and very clean..
    Friend of mine from Tex killed a 250lb+ black bear in Alaska a few yrs ago while fishing.. Bear charged friend.. Friend used S&W 44MAGNUM bear spray.. Really nice rug. S&W 44Mag bear spray WORKS too ;)
  • Options
    edited November -1