In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What is this Ruger Wrangler?

gruntled2gruntled2 Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
edited April 2019 in General Discussion
I just got an ad for a pre-order for $179.00 Has anyone heard anything about this pistol, good, bad or whatever?

Comments

• JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It looks like a el-cheapo version of the Ruger Bearcat to me :shock:

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger is probably tired of seeing so many heritages sell so they came out with one to compete with them. I anticipate selling a PILE of them.

They are made out of the same "pot metal" as the heritages are but the Heritages all seem to work ok.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like my heritage - I like my Herbert Schmidt - I like my hawes...

I have half a dozen single action army rimfire frame revolvers.

My first reaction is that I would prefer a bearcat and that this is a cheaply produced lesser product - but I guess you could say the same about the heritage.

Now what I really want is the freedom arms version - I think we can agree that it's a quality revolver.

Entry level firearms have their place.

Mike
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I didnt see an option for the .22mag cyl., which would be great. I really like the Heritage I bought for 99 dollars with the 29 dollar mag cyl. It isnt like my Smith K17 but it is pretty damn good.
    edited April 2019

My first reaction is that I would prefer a bearcat and that this is a cheaply produced lesser product

Mike

Agree, I've got a early Model Bear-Cat that's a very well made .22 cal. pistol among several other S/A Ruger .22's, small.....yes but very well made by Rugers standards or most anyone elses, it's a ball to shoot for the young & the grownups....I love it :D

• redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    looks fun. I'll wait till there are used ones floating around for 100$ :D
  • mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger is probably tired of seeing so many heritages sell so they came out with one to compete with them. I anticipate selling a PILE of them.

They are made out of the same "pot metal" as the heritages are but the Heritages all seem to work ok.

So far our heritage has been a great little revolver
    I see a lot of em at the range.
    Ruger wants a piece of the action.
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It looks like a pot metal pile to me.
    RLTW

edited November -1
    Junkballer wrote:

My first reaction is that I would prefer a bearcat and that this is a cheaply produced lesser product

Mike

Agree, I've got a early Model Bear-Cat that's a very well made .22 cal. pistol among several other S/A Ruger .22's, small.....yes but very well made by Rugers standards or most anyone elses, it's a ball to shoot for the young & the grownups....I love it :D

edited November -1
    it's a step up from pot metal. aluminum alloy instead of zinc alloy. ...AR15's are aluminum alloy, right?
  • shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it's a step up from pot metal. aluminum alloy instead of zinc alloy. ...AR15's are aluminum alloy, right?

The reason I say pot metal...these are not legal for sale in Minnesota, that is due to the minimum melt point law I presume.
    edited November -1
    reading up on the Heritage. they made the aluminum alloy model, but because of the melting point laws, they also made a steel version.

I think I'd rather have a steel Heritage than an aluminum Ruger.
  • bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yTyXGJU.jpg
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My heritage SAA clone is steel and has both cylinders...

Pretty certain my Hawes and Herbert Schmidt and other German and Italian vintage clones are also steel - they have held up very well including the pointer pup faux plastic grip panels...

Mike
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭

Got mine today. And the shop had .22 Shorts in stock which I hadn’t seen in years so got some for the kiddos to shoot. I have a bunch of .22 LR to use as well. $216 out the door at my LGS. It’s not as refined at the Single Six but it’s also half the price. I can change the grips as they are the same as the Single Six uses. Has a decent trigger too. It’s cerakoted so not as pretty as blued but should hold up well.

• lkanneslkannes Member Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭

I bought one a few months ago, $180 out-the-door. It has an aluminum alloy frame, ceracote finish, fixed sights, and it takes the same grips as a single six. I purchased it to keep in my toolbox in the garage just to have a 22 handy. It's not much to look at but it seems to serve the purpose. The trigger leaves a bit to be desired but other than that it shoots fairly well.

• gruntled2gruntled2 Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    I did buy one not long after I made this post. It is okay EXCEPT the loading gate. It is stiff & has a sharp edge. I sent them an e-mail pointing out the design defect & they sent me a reply that indicated it was done on purpose. WTH?
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    There's a genuine use for a gun like this. Truck gun, boat gun, backpack gun, RV gun... A simple but reliable, rust-resistant, .22LR, damn near universally useful gun. At an affordable price. Kudos to Ruger and others who make them.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭

The reason I say pot metal...these are not legal for sale in Minnesota, that is due to the minimum melt point law I presume.
    Not legal in Illinois either, as you know the state here REALLY knows their stuff. I mean going out and fanning that little Ruger until it melts happens daily in other states so we "ahead of the curve" as JB Dikster would say.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

So, if it is made of "pot metal," does it have a steel barrel sleeve?

• Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited July 2020

They sell them here. LGS and at Rural King

Also at Scheels.

That’s what I plan to get with my Scheels points.

Only $150 more to go. 😃.

I know the hi points are not legal here though

• chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭
    There's a genuine use for a gun like this. Truck gun, boat gun, backpack gun, RV gun... A simple but reliable, rust-resistant, .22LR, damn near universally useful gun. At an affordable price. Kudos to Ruger and others who make them.
    Agree. They are now common at the range and though cheap, they group well and function flawlessly. I want one.
  • DPHMINDPHMIN Member Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

I have a three screw Single Six, so the Wrangler doesn't tempt me.

But would you be willing to toss your three-screw S-Six under your truck seat, or into your boat's storage locker for months at a time?
  • pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭✭
    My Ruger single six was my truck/ boat gun for probably 30 years . It has the scars to prove it 
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • DPHMINDPHMIN Member Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

My three screw Single Six has been under the seat of the truck for months at a time. It didn't hurt it any.

The Wrangler would be replaceable if something happened to it, while the Single Six would be harder to replace.

I can understand your thinking about a cheaper revolver being better as a truck of boat gun.

With that being said, I don't expect to be buying a Wrangler any time soon since I have the Single Six.

My Single-Six got stolen from my truck. I miraculously got it back two years later, and its loss was so devastating to me that I'll never risk it that way again. I'd buy a Wrangler for that use.
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭

My throw away pistols are of a larger caliber and have a different purpose.

Don

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    JimmyJack said:
    I didnt see an option for the .22mag cyl., which would be great. I really like the Heritage I bought for 99 dollars with the 29 dollar mag cyl. It isnt like my Smith K17 but it is pretty damn good.
    This revolver is deliberately not Magnum capable according to an article I read in HANDGUNNER.
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭

Ran 200 rounds through it with the kiddos today. Many soda cans gave their lives for the cause. I was pleasantly surprised how accurate this little gun is. It’s a keeper for me.

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    in a cheap 22 plinker I never saw the need for a magnum cylinder, cheap plinking is 22lr, 22 mag gets expensive shooting couple hundred rounds at a time, and the kids will never know the difference
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    I would call it a pot metal plinker.  They have their place but I don't have any interest in them.
    RLTW

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    Hunk of junk.  Ranks up there with most of Ruger's semi-autos, not including the 1911's.