In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Welding question

dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2019 in General Discussion
My farmboy welds generally fall somewhere between birdshit and bubblegum.
I have an old buzz box Lincoln
I'm looking for some input on getting an upgrade to an engine driven unit to be mobile for welding fairly thin metals to welding pipe fencing and general farm repair.
Thoughts on stick versus wire feed are appreciated.

Mule

Comments

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    sounds like you and I are about the same, self taught welders, seems like I was allways welding something on the tractor or one of the attachments. that said I had a 110 mig and could never get a good hot weld, it would look nice but would have to do 2-3 passes to get good weld. and I could never get it to do thin stuff like car body. mower deck was about the thinest I cold do and not burn through. got a used buzz box and once played around with it I could lay a better weld in one pass with it than with the mig. I tried flux core wire and solid with gas just never really got good with it, at least with the buzz box I could lay a weld that would last even if it didn't look the prettiest. I think practice is the best thing, and I got a self darkening mask, it helped a lot with the buzz box as I didn't tend to stick the rods as bad when using it. as per the new stuff I have heard the old buzz boxes are better as they have copper windings and the new ones use aluminum windings, I am sure other can give better advise on migs.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your welding skills are a result of all the guns that you stole from me Dave, the karma thing... :lol: Good luck, I'm sure that you will get what you need here...and more. :twisted:
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wire feed is the way to go for thin to mid thickness metals. Engine driven is a toss up.
    I would go for a decent size generator THEN plug in a flux core wire welder. This gives you the added choice to plug in that grinder you need to clean the metal before welding. Or other tools too. The gas bottle
    larger welders are much more versatile, But you will will find carrying tanks that end up empty when you need it is not fun.
    A good 150 or amp wire machine will do all you ask of it.

The Hobarth 140 is a nice set up, will handle gas bottles and flux core wire.
    Play with a wire machine for a few hours and your welding skills will be great.
    Try different wire speeds/amps/volts and see the effects.
  • Options
    dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    toad67 wrote:
    Your welding skills are a result of all the guns that you stole from me Dave, the karma thing... :lol: Good luck, I'm sure that you will get what you need here...and more. :twisted:

I've been waiting for you to put a welder up for sale at discounted price :lol:

I've been holding off bidding on any of your stuff, hoping you could recoup some of the money :D

Mule
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dpmule wrote:
    toad67 wrote:

I've been waiting for you to put a welder up for sale at discounted price :lol:

I've been holding off bidding on any of your stuff, hoping you could recoup some of the money :D

Mule

I wouldn't waste the money on the gunbroker listing fees Dave, I'd just send it to you..... :lol:
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,358 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    I would buy a 250 amp DC engine driven welder, either a Lincoln, Miller, or Hobart. If I have a choice I always go with Lincoln first, but the portable welder I have is a 250 amp Hobart driven by a 16 horse Onan engine like this one: https://www.purplewave.com/auction/131203/item/i8320 It also has a 8K watt 240 volt AC auxiliary plug so it doubles as standby house power. Wire feeds are nice, but still in today's world, they won't work a lot of the time outside, or on rusty metal. A good DC stick machine will be what you want IMO.

If you have a DC stick welder, preferably a newer version with CV(constant voltage) setting , you can get a wire feeder unit similar to this: https://www.ebay.com/p/96720-Lincoln-Electric-Ln-25-Pro-Portable-Wire-Feeder/1701569907?iid=401722301313&chn=ps This is a wire feeder that gets power from your stick machine, so you have wire capability also. I have a Hobart wire feeder, commonly called a "suit case welder" similar to the LN25 in the link. It is my only wire feed. In the shop it runs off a Lincoln Ideal arc 250 amp DC machine. I can also take the feeder, and the Hobart portable to the woods, and have wire capability. Both of my welders are CC(constant current), which will run a wire feeder, but they work better on machines with a CV setting.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,476 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a little Lincoln 120 volt wire feed (80 Amps?) that is frankly a very good little unit for up to 3/16" material.

If you are going to need to put down a 1/4" fillet in one pass, this is not the machine for you, so it may not be good for farm repairs.

I think Home Depot still sells them. I got mine a half price during a sale, but they are around $ 300.00 IIRC.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had an antique bed that needed some welding work. After checking around for prices to get it welded I decided I could buy a small flux core welding machine and do it myself cheaper. I bought one at Northern Tools and fixed the bed and haven't used the machine since. But I've got a welder if I ever need it again.
  • Options
    mag00mag00 Member Posts: 4,719 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everybody thinks they're a welder or can do it easily. May as well be a dentist too. I'm sure you can pull a tooth if you need to. If it is something that may break and hurt somebody later down the road, hire a professional. Just like dentists, not all of them are good value. Referrals is a good starting point.

If you are going to do it yourself, practice on non essential stuff first. Get material similar to what you are repairing, weld it, then try and break it, or cut it to see how well you did.

Lincoln and Miller generator welders are good, get one with 220 output so you have a generator for power outages as well, or running your compressor etc. They are not cheap, and will hold their value over the years.

Or just get a good generator and a 220v mig. This gives you alot more versatility. It doesn't sound like you need a big heavy duty stick machine like a Pipeliner etc. For point and shoot and pray to god it holds, a good wire machine will work for you.

There are a couple good chinese brands that work well. I have an Eastwood wire feed with spool gun attachment, and Lotos Tig Plasma. I also have the standard buzz boxes, torches, 110 mig.

On the farm you will wonder why you waited so long to buy a plasma cutter. With the generator or good welder with generator, you can drag your air compressor for the plasma with you. The DC welder could power a plasma cutter, so if you are buying new, ask about the machine that makes that the easiest to set up.

Spend the extra money now and you will be very happy later.