In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

If You Were A Kid Today

dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
edited April 2019 in General Discussion
What would you want to be?

When i was a kid i wanted to play football or baseball. I got offered to play at smaller schools but i did not get a full ride to play ball. I got offered grants and scholerships but not a full ride.

If i was bigger it would have made a difference. At 5 ft 6 and 170 pounds its hard to go to college at a big school as a cornerback or wide receiver or play catcher in baseball.

My back up plan was always the military. I was 5th generation military. Sadly my daughter never did join. She was close but did not join. I could have talked her into it but i always left the decision up to her.

Just like my Dad never brought up me joining the military i never brought it up to Mandy. My Dad never mentioned his time in service and i never asked. He was in Vietnam and never even mentioned basic training.

I think if i was a kid now i would join the military again. It taught me a lot and i needed it at the time.

What would you want to be?

Comments

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Dad, was a 32 Lifer ABN CSM. WWII, Korea, Vietnam Vet. I always knew I was going in to the Military. My only regret is not staying in and pulling my 20.

I really regret that. (5 years here.)

Was going to re-enlist as a Helicopter Pilot, but my eyes had degenerated from 20/20 to unacceptable for that particular MOS. Got out, and put myself through College.

Wish I had stayed in.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ""What would you want to be?""

A kid growing up in the 60's and 70's.

;););)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    babun wrote:

;););)

And I was. :D
  • Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, what they said! ^^^^
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to say- my 3 boys (8,7, 4) have it pretty good today.

They play sports- but get twice as much- soccer actually never ends it just keeps going- even in the winter in TX it just went to an indoor league.

Although we are far away from the grandparents and the rest of the family, keeping in touch has never been easier.
    When I was a kid I hardly knew my relatives that didn't live in the immediate area- not the case today for my kids.

My brothers and I had bikes, so do my boys and they get out and ride them.

I got out in the garage with my dad, my kids get out in the garage with me.

We used to go camping and I do the same with my kids.

I keep hearing people tell me everything has changed and the sky is falling but I just don?t t see it.

I imagine there were lazy parents generations ago and there are lazy parents today.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    babun wrote:

;););)

Me too.

and I think you still have one of my baseball bats. I want it back!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    babun wrote:
    babun wrote:

;););)

Me too.

and I think you still have one of my baseball bats. I want it back!

Was talking about this the other day at work. My Dad coached us in football and baseball. My Brother and I had some incredible bats made of Bamboo. I was wondering what happened to them. I would love to have one back.

Tommy Knockers to the extreme.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As an adult, if I could choose who I could be if I went back as a kid. I would want to be my mom and dad's kid. They taught me respect, hard work, and fair play... or any one of my kids has kids oh, they're teaching them the right way. Today's parents don't teach them diddly-squat
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I couldn't imagine being a kid today. I was born in '49 and was a young kid in the 50s and a teen in the 60s. I think those were the best years that a human could have lived in. Life was good. Most people made a comfortable living and they still had common sense. Liberals were unheard of where I lived in East Tennessee.