In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

My son's friend in Knoxville...

Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2019 in General Discussion
Has a son that plays baseball for the St. Louis Cardinals. He was called up from the minors last week and he hit a home run on his first time at bat yesterday. His name is Lane Thomas and he went to Bearden High School in Knoxville, TN.

He's only the 9th player to ever hit a homer on his first at bat in the majors. He's the first to ever do it for the Cards. He's an amazing kid. He's also the fastest runner on the team and he's white which is even more impressive.

The fans give him quite an ovation at the end of the video.

https://www.mlb.com/amp/news/lane-thomas-homers-in-first-career-at-bat.html

Comments

• KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Excellent.

Congrats to him.

Quite an achievement. Only one of nine.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Excellent.

Congrats to him.

Quite an achievement. Only one of nine.

I don't know how accurate that one of nine is. I've been searching and it appears there were a lot more than nine but anyway it's quite an accomplishment.

His dad was at my son's house yesterday watching the game on TV when it happened and I talked to him on the phone for a few seconds and to put it mildly he was a very happy dad.
  • TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrads are in order and WTG
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's great for the kid and a experience he'll never forget, after Uncle Sam got thru with me and college didn't appeal at the time I still had an standing offer from the first MLB draft (1968) to play. Played for 2 teams and one of them being the Cards :D, then life took another turn on me :roll:

He's an amazing kid. He's also the fastest runner on the team and he's white which is even more impressive.

As once told us by a coach "we can teach you to catch a ball, throw a ball and hit a ball but no one can teach you how to run.....that is a God given talent your born with and no one can teach it". Speed will definetly give him a big edge over many other players when decisions are to be made. Will keep an eye out for him ;)

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congratulations to him, hopefully you can stay up in the big leagues and someday have a million-dollar plus contract.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,222 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Outstanding!

I played high school soccer and football. I knew a lot of great athletes, football and baseball players. I knew guys who started 2 years at Ga. Tech and UGA.

None of my buddies ever made it in the pros. My baseball pal was all state and all everything, played 3 years in the minors with an average of .260, and he was gone.

None of my friends ever played a down in the NFL. One friend, all-SEC at UGA, played 3 years in the Canadian Football League, hurt his knee and gone.

So, if you can make it to pro baseball in America that is an outstanding accomplishment. You are the best of the best. And a homer in the first at bat, unreal.