In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

If you could talk to your Dad one more time,

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2019 in General Discussion
What would you want to ask him?

First I would tell him how much I miss him, respected his Service, and am I making you Proud.

You?

Comments

• mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Talked with him this morning - we had lunch...

So I think I am disqualified.

Mike
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would tell him how much I miss him.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just this..............

Thank you.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Count yourself lucky, if you can still speak with your Dad. (Unfortunately) I can not.

I can still have/and do have one sided conversations with him, most every day.

He was a true American BA, in every sense of the word.

32 year Lifer ABN CSM. WWII, Korea, Vietnam.
  • buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what was the chili recipe again? I forgot
    edited November -1
    what was the chili recipe again? I forgot

I have my own Chili recipe. Much better than anything my Dad came up with. :D
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would tell him once again...it was not ME that tore the transmission up on the '60 Thunderbird. :D

I actually didn't but he always blamed me for it.
  • ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too am fortunate to have mine going fairly strong at 89 and still working 6 days a week. That being said, as I contemplated having to answer this question one day I?ll be damned if I didn?t get a bunch of dust in my eyes. I really hate when that happens. If, in this life, I get to be half the man he is, I will consider myself to have been a success.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yeah, but, his recipe had Fritos and Liquid Smoke. classic Dad recipe. must be passed down from father to son. ;)
    edited November -1
    I too am fortunate to have mine going fairly strong at 89 and still working 6 days a week. That being said, as I contemplated having to answer this question one day I?ll be damned if I didn?t get a bunch of dust in my eyes. I really hate when that happens. If, in this life, I get to be half the man he is, I will consider myself to have been a success.

I heard you Brother. That is exactly how I feel about my Dad.
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    I'd also (obviously) tell him how much I loved him.

He'd get teary eyed every time. Would give him a big hug. He did not know how to handle it, but I know he loved/appreciated it.

I miss you Dad .
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dad fought cancer about ten years parts and pieces cut out but he did ok then the last time they told him maybe a year nothing else we can do
    so while he still could I took him back south just me and him to try and round up old friends he had not seen in 50 -60 years
    post internet so it was asking locals to help track down who we could
    one think a old photo the only one he knew of when his dad was in the military WWi we went ( found ) his like 2nd or 3rd cousin she must have ben 80 or so
    but after a bit of conversation and several more relatives showing up (phone calls he was there ) came out with a old candy tin full of photos from the 20"s and 30"s and we found the one of his dad sitting on a old army truck ,that was a good moment ( made countless copies and passed out to the family

any way we had that year to talk , share time , and stories like never before, we had worked together for 13 years early on in my life on Constitution sites off and on but never talked on the level we did his last year

I guess I could add I do love you and thanks for instilling good work efforts into me . also doing the best you and mom could with very little I know you both gave up a lot for us kids . to reinforce what i had told him
  • lew07lew07 Member Posts: 1,055 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I?d show Him the photos I found after He died and ask Him to tell Me who the people are in them.Im pretty sure His relationship with His family wasn?t particularly good(most likely a reason why He joined the Navy) .
    edited November -1
    My Mom is 89. Visibly going downhill fast. I'm afraid I wiil have the same question in reference to my Mom, fairly soon.

Not looking forward to it.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    I remember what my dad always told me:
    ?Don?t touch that, boy. You?ll break it.?
    I was 12 years old when I figured out my name wasn?t Get Coal.
    Seriously, my dad was a man of few words. When my mom died, we were cleaning out her house and I found a diary he started. There were exactly 4 pages out of 365 that had one or two sentences.
    I?m sure he never thought I?d amount to much. But he made sure we had everything we needed.
    If he came back today, I?d tell him that I loved him. He?d probably say ?um-hmm?.
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know I wasn't the student you wanted me to be..........but I did marry a girl that wanted to be a Teacher and I sent her to school, then I produced 2 more Teachers behind her, hopefully that ends my roll in education. PS: I did a lot of their school work for them :lol:

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am sorry I didn't go with you that day
    maybe I could have saved your life if I had been with you
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would thank him for being so patient and understanding...
    "What is truth?'
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    Whenever I meet someone who works with their father, I remind them how lucky they are.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would have like to have said good bye .
  • bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was 13 when he passed.

I would say, "I have always been proud of you and I hope you are proud of me."
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In thirteen years of my life, he didn't have any time for me.
    I don't think I'd bother at this point.
  • WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dad stuck around even though he would have preferred to be elsewhere (I found this out years after he'd passed). He worked his tail off until he was too sick. He did all the "good provider" things.
    He's been gone 39 years.
    If I could, I'd love to sit and have coffee with him. I'd tell him that I think about him almost every day. I'd tell him that I love and miss him. And I'd love to sit with him as a friend, one last time.
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A piece of unrequested advice for those who are estranged - if possible, bury any hatchet.
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
    edited November -1
    A piece of unrequested advice for those who are estranged - if possible, bury any hatchet.

Good advice Sir.

I'd tell my Dad, how much I Loved and missed him.

Ask him, "Are You Proud of Me?

I've done the best that I can to be "Proud" worthy. I've let myself down, and I can only hope my Dad, is still Proud of me. That is the best I can hope for.
  • mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    glad i still have mine. even at times we argue alot.