In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How Can You Do It?

dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
edited April 2019 in General Discussion
My daughters assistant manager at the pawn shop was named Brandon. We talked about guns, watches and tools a lot.

I bought everything from Brandon because my daughter can not sell me anything and ring me up. Company rules.

Brandon comes from really really well off parents. Both of them are engineers. Brandon is really nice and would give you the shirt off his back. I have known him about 3 years now.

He quit the pawn shop about 9 months ago and went to work as assistant manager at a gun shop. I bought a few things from him at the gun shop and i always got great deals from him. Nothing cheaper than i could buy from GB but cheaper than other stores.

Sometime after he quit the pawn shop he got hooked on powdered cocaine. That is what my daughter told me last night. He had a lot of guns and expensive watches but they caught him taking money out of the cash register and stealing guns.

He was arrested and is now out on bond and his life is probably ruined. Im guessing he is in his early 30s.

How can you even try something that might ruin your life?

I just do not understand it.

Comments

• mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear that, one of the mystics about illicit drugs is just that they are a forbidden fruit.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Meth is even worse, from what I have heard.

Takes hitting the bottom, in order to come back up to the top.

Hate to hear of it though.

Common story, (Meth) around here.
  • Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Drugs of any sort, like gambling, have ruined untold countless lives.

Each person has the choices of what they will do with their lives.

Some make good choices and some make bad choices.

The results of those choices are their responsibility and theirs alone.

It is a reality of life.....and for others to understand it is not always possible.

It is what it is.
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dav1965 wrote:
    How can you even try something that might ruin your life?

I just do not understand it.

well he didn't see it that way. he saw it like this: he wants it, and he can get it.

some people get caught. some don't.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its unlikely that just one day a thirty year old man who has a history of gainful employment in places requiring a background check just suddenly snorts heroin...

Family history contributes and previous substance abuse or hard core alcohol abuse even if hidden contributes.

Many addicts are functional and keep the issue hidden.

Some are prescribed pain killers and end up hooked and chasing the dragon.

Sometimes a bad break up or death in the family or a girlfriend who is an addict are factors.

But you are missing the back story - because it did not just happen one day out of the blue.

IMHO

Mike
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    If it?s coke, he can whip it with determination. Opiates, another story.
  • bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have always suspected it is a "character flaw".

Maybe hereditary; maybe learned.
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will never meet a drug addict the thought they would start doing drugs to become a drug addict. They all thought not a big deal.... Oh how they are so wrong

Drugs are vortex that will suck you in it never spit you out
  • sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my youth, I enjoyed a wide variety of drugs.
    Copious quantities of blow went up my nose, until one day, I decided to spend my disposable income on 1st gen Broncos.
    Took lots of pain killers for years, until the right doctor fixed my back issues.
    At that point, I just quit filling the prescriptions.
    Never had any issue with addiction.
    Never bought the narrative that drug or alcohol abuse was a "disease" either.
    I believe that narrative is a poor excuse to continue making poor choices.
    Arrivederci gigi
  • WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can see / understand cocaine being easy to get involved and hooked with. I've never done it but from what I see on TV and such, it's portrayed as a sexy habit. Celebs do it and look how smart and successful they are! Everyone listens to their opinions!

Now - meth - yikes! Take one look at those before and after posters! That would scare the bejesus out of me!334254_ec19bb45bde37f5a7f474ca664345f04.jpg
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Going retro. Kind a surprised one can still buy coke in 2019. Looking forward to 1980 with the "Crack" epidemic part 2.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    best representation of a "celebrity" opinion i have seen.
  • mnrivrat48mnrivrat48 Member Posts: 1,711 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When the doctor went into a re-wire of my sternum after heart surgery they overspread my chest cavity and screwed up my upper back and right shoulder socket. I woke up screaming from the pain. Upon leaving the hospital a month later I was on prescription opiates to the tune of 240 MG a day.

I went through the bad side of hell to get back into the world. It is doable, but it is far from a smooth ride in the park. I won't even try to tell you what it is like. I will say if you ever had despair in your life , take that, times a whole lot more.
  • buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • mnrivrat48mnrivrat48 Member Posts: 1,711 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Never bought the narrative that drug or alcohol abuse was a "disease" either."

And neither did I . My X wife was a alcohol and prescription drug addict. For 9 years I paid for treatment and detox . That was 1980 to 1989. Then I divorced her. She is still on drugs and alcohol from what my children tell me. The disease crap is for insurance money to the treatment centers, and to taking away responsibility from the addict. "It's not your fault, you have a disease" . Bull chit . I was full hooked on opiate's from the high doses given me to control the pain. It was hell to go through the withdrawal and at the end I checked myself into a detox and treatment center to get me over the last hump. All through the process I worked with my doctor to continuously drop dosages. It was a process. It was hell, but it wasn't a disease cure. It was withdrawal.

You have to want to be sober, and part of that is feeling the responsibility of your actions. No matter what you do when it comes to alcohol and drugs, you have to own it. For those who are on opiates for chronic and significant pain there is a reason to use medication. That includes addictive medication. That's what opiates are good for. and that's what they should be used for.

Keith
  • dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im on 240mg of opiates a day also. Since 2010 and i am still in pain.