In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anybody Up For a Weight Loss Challenge?

WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
edited June 2019 in General Discussion
I've been adding on the weight, so I'm at the point that I need to do something. I figure misery loves company, so why not a weight loss challenge. Just for bragging rights. Will be on the honor system. We can post periodic updates of what we are doing and how we are doing. Basically, an online support group for old fat guys that like guns. :D

Anyone up for it? I'm planning on starting tomorrow.

Comments

• redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't need to lose any weight, but I will support you every step of the way! Support helps, but you are in control. Do it for yourself more than anything!
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have walked over 1000 miles in the past year since I have started my diet, and have dropped more than I care to admit. If I can do it you can do it. Two great helps to me have been cell phone apps, My fitness Pal and Pacer. They link up to track steps and other exercise and they track your food intake. Keeping a food diary has been crucial to me to be sure I was getting what I need nutritionally and in the right amounts. I helped a great deal to work with a nutritionist to establish requirements. I started with a fixed goal and an end date. I still want to drop 30 pounds by Oct.

Best of Luck :)
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have maintained my body weight within a narrow range my entire life using a simple method. Whenever I gain more than 7 or 8 pounds, I cut back until I am back at my proper weight. I also eat a rather regimented diet, with very little eating out. The biggest thing is to stay away from sweets.

I weighed 185 or so in HS, I weigh 190 currently.

Good luck, as being severely overweight is extremely bad for your health.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • luggnutt71luggnutt71 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have dropped 50 lbs since Dec. Doc told me was pre diabetic and to cut the sweets and reduce the carbs. Started out at 270 and am currently 220. I cut pasta, rice,potatoes bread and sodas. I truly believe sugar is the devil. I feel better and am leas tired than before.
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im up for the challenge. Need to lose some winter weight. Now that spring is here. Time to get serious and shed some lead.

So lets set some parameters...

10 lbs would be a goal for me.
    "What is truth?'
  • dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Count me in i need to lose weight also. Since i have had me knees replaced i need to lose way more than i should.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    I?m in. I started cutting back last week but haven?t lost any. Will start counting calories today, limiting to 1500. It?ll come off slow, but I?ll be getting more exercise due to outside chores.
    I need to lose 15 lbs. to get down to my fighting weight.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm in.

Started about 2 weeks ago. Had to. Way too fat.

I just left the gas station where I get my mourning coffee and cigars.
    Used to get a bacon/egg/cheese biscuit every day, now it's 3 bananas with my coffee.
    GOD! I miss that bacon, but have to lose this fat.

A man giving up bacon!!! Pray for me, For I know not what I do............

:oops:
  • WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
    edited November -1
    OK. Thanks for the advice and encouragement.

Got up at 5am and went for a 3.61 mile walk. Using one of those walk tracker apps. I'm weighing 223 lbs and would like to be at 200 lbs. I'm in no big rush, but would like to see a nice steady decline over time.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One pound a week is a good target. Some weeks you will do better, some you will plateau for a few days. Slow and steady gets it done. I am now down 87 pounds. :oops:

You got this. :D
    edited November -1
    babun wrote:
    I'm in.

Started about 2 weeks ago. Had to. Way too fat.

I just left the gas station where I get my mourning coffee and cigars.
    Used to get a bacon/egg/cheese biscuit every day, now it's 3 bananas with my coffee.
    GOD! I miss that bacon, but have to lose this fat.

A man giving up bacon!!! Pray for me, For I know not what I do............

:oops:
    Actually, Bob, the three bananas have about 300 calories, but very little if any fat. A medium egg and a piece of toast has only about 150.
    One piece of bacon fried crisp and blotted on a paper towel has <100 calories.
    But make no mistake, bananas are a great diet food.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since I had surgery 2-1/2 years ago I've not been very active and I put on 25 pounds. So on March 1st I started cutting back and so far I've lost 12 pounds without suffering to much. I eat the same stuff except smaller portions and I cut out deserts which I now eat fruit instead.

My wife said I should just tie one of my hands behind my back at dinner time and I'd lose twice as much. She's also a smart *! :D
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went from 369 lbs to 149 lbs.

I don't recommend the weight loss plan I followed.

Mike
  • droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If this is a "weight loss challenge" then in fairness it should be based on PERCENTAGE.

What kind of challenge would it be if a 300 pound person lost 100 pounds (30 percent) and a 100 pound person lost 100 pounds, ie: dried up and blew away. ;)
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got rid of 120 lbs of unwanted weight once in 6 months. That's how long it took me to divorce her :lol:
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't afford another White Feather :D.
  • mag00mag00 Member Posts: 4,719 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, that plate on the left doesn't have ANY BACON on it!!
    Whattup with THAT?
    Arrivederci gigi
    edited November -1
    sxsnuf wrote:
    Hey, that plate on the left doesn't have ANY BACON on it!!
    Whattup with THAT?

That's to sop up the grease after the bacon is gone, waste not want not.

Are you sure you guys want to do this?
    You can look forward to this:
    2nd-cut-timothy-rabbit-pellets-bedding-smallpetselect_326_600x.jpg?v=1535017369
  • wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got rid of 120 lbs of unwanted weight once in 6 months. That's how long it took me to divorce her :lol:

I Divorced a Tumor that weighed about that! She still calls me all of the time!
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
    edited November -1
    mag00 wrote:
    diner-bacon-hero-22062016.jpg

You can't get lower than a person that flaunts bacon in front of somebody that wants to lose weight , even if it is just a picture:(
    edited November -1
    Tagged for added motivation...

Bacon is not on my no fly list. Cutting back on beer is.
    "What is truth?'
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice pic of all that bacon.

I just finished my 3 bananas. :x

Okay now a joke to help get thru the pain......

One early am. 3 guys went out to play golf.
    'They weren't very good at it too.
    The first guy slices his ball into a flowerbed of buttercups.
    He starts hacking away at the flowers to find his ball.
    The next guy hooks his ball into the Tulips.
    He's stampeding thru the flowers to get to his ball.

Now Mother Nature sees whats going on, and comes down to admonish the golfers.
    "You killed my buttercup flowers, your punishment will be you won't have any butter for a whole year. And you in the tulips, you will never kiss a women's lips for one year."

Both guys start laffing out loud.

"why are you laffing? This is serious , you killed my flowers."

"Our buddy just hit his ball into the pussywillows".
    edited November -1
    mag00 wrote:

You can't get lower than a person that flaunts bacon in front of somebody that wants to lose weight , even if it is just a picture:(

Is this a challenge?

Bacon, bacon, bacon... chew chew!
    edited November -1
    mag00 wrote:
    mag00 wrote:

Is this a challenge?

Doesn't bother me, I don't need to lose weight... But I'm glad you know what type of person you are and are willing to show your * for the whole world to see
  • hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a challenge just have to watch all the Carbs.
    I was 225 when I left the Army. 25 Years ago. I had Gradually put it on after getting out and wife's good home food. I Was up to 445 lbs.

I've been working on my weight for the last 3 years 100 + lbs gone. I've been dropping 3-5 lbs a month.

I'm now cooking and trying to use healthy ingredients and still taste good.

I'm 60 and at 6' 4" and 340 Lbs. there are not may older big tall folks around, that are upwardly mobile.

Gym 2 times a week swim 2 times a week and daily time on a incline bike while listening to books.
    Much easier to walk on my new knees, and not out of breath all the time like I was.

Would like to get down to at least 250, and get another 20+ years out of this body.
    Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
    edited November -1
    mag00 wrote:

Is this a challenge?

Doesn't bother me, I don't need to lose weight... But I'm glad you know what type of person you are and are willing to show your * for the whole world to see

I'm not the guy who thinks these crusty old farts (fine gentlemen), don't have the willpower to get the job done.
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've lost 35 lbs over the past 6-8 months....can we start from back then? Got 20 lbs to go!
    edited November -1
    shilowar wrote:
    I've lost 35 lbs over the past 6-8 months....can we start from back then? Got 20 lbs to go!

Do tell how you did it,,,
    "What is truth?'
    edited November -1
    wpageabc wrote:
    shilowar wrote:

Do tell how you did it,,,

will power, finally got tired enough of being a lard *....cut out all soda, all bread, started eating more salads, shrinking my portions, having my wife on board helps since she does the cooking...cut back on heavy sauces....I eat alot of hard boiled eggs, nuts, dried fruits, apples and bananas, and avacados...good fats...and i slog ( slow jog) about 2.2 miles or hike a steep route every other day, rain, snow, sleet or shine...no skipping....I've plateaued so it's time to do something drastic again to shock my system back into weight loss...but I've gone from nearly a 46 waist to 40 and my goal is 38 w at 230 lbs....last year March I weighed 279 at Dr's appt, this past march i was 243. Considering I lost most of it during winter, with holidays and winter weight gain normally an issue i figure once it starts really getting hot I'll shed another 10lbs fairly easily. But I can see this is a lifestyle issue and I'll have to be this way the rest of my life...no more double bacon cheese burgers etc...gonna have to be disciplined if I don't want to blow back up...eating clean has cleaned up my GI tract issues for the most part though and I imagine I'll be able to ditch HBP meds if i lose another 20.
    edited November -1
    Good job, Copper.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm losing about 1# a day just working and I'm not overweight. There's a limit to how much I can lose so I'm not up to the challenge.
    As long as you burn a significantly higher amount of calories than you intake, you WILL lose weight.
    Good luck.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Time and money and habits are key factors...

If you cut out high fructose corn syrup and make a real effort to ingest natural cane or beet sugars you will see results...

Smaller portions yield results...

Taking your time while eating instead of just scarfing food down yields results...

Cutting back on candy will yield results...

Eating 5-7 times a day - more meals in smaller portions - chewing and tasting the food yields results...

Drinking bottled water will yield results...

Spending more money on smaller portions of better food - having to take more time to prepare that food (as opposed to immediately available fast food) yields results...

As an example I like hamburgers and fries - but instead of drive through fast food I bought high grade ground beef from a noted source and grilled it myself (or used a frying pan on the stove) - I bought baking potatoes and cut them up myself and fried them in sunflower oil - I went with fresh baked rolls instead of long shelf life cheap bread - I drank Mexican coke with no HFCS

It cost more to purchase and took time to obtain and took time to prepare and required time and effort to clean up but it's better for you and quite frankly tastes better and becomes more satisfying

Tropicana makes a lite lemonade were the entire two liter bottle contains 15 calories and no HFCS - way better than most sodas and drinks...

Heck even Cabot cheddar cheese on Ritz crackers makes a fantastic meal and requires no cooking and is healthier than fast food...

The healthy low sodium baked potato chips with no HFCS comes in a smaller bag and has less chips and costs more...

The store brand bag of chips is on sale for .99? and has way more chips and tastes better - spending more to eat less - taking time to eat better - the universal availability and convenience of fast food - the companies using science to make their product taste better and damn near be addictive - it can be counter intuitive and frustrating...

You have to change your lifestyle in many ways and you have to stick to it religiously - and eventually eating your new healthy way becomes a habit - it's your routine...

Nothing worse than a former fat person giving food advice - worse that a reformed alcoholic or drug addict in recovery with a 12 step program...

Mike
    edited November -1
    Keeping your consumption to 2000 calories a day will cut weight quickly for the first few months until your body adjusts. Cutting down on breads and pasta was the hardest part...cutting back on creamer in coffee was a big one for me too..lots of sugar there.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yoou could choose to have your jaw wired shut for 12 weeks. I guarantee you'll lose a LOT of weight.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mobuck wrote:
    Yoou could choose to have your jaw wired shut for 12 weeks. I guarantee you'll lose a LOT of weight.

Back quite a few years ago a girl that worked where I worked had her jaw wired shut. It worked for a while and then she started putting Big Mac's and chocolate shakes in a blender and drinking them. She ended up gaining weight. Not very smart because she could have choked to death had she gotten strangled.
    edited November -1
    Going to make this interesting and offer a flag pin prize to the biggest loser.

Invoking the honor system. You know like. "Get on her stay on her" . No seriously this is a great threat and credit to the starter.

So the deadline is for first of summer 6-21-19. Whoever has lost the most wins the flag lapel/hat pin.

May the best person win!

Good luck and God bless.
    "What is truth?'
    edited November -1
    Down four pounds in two weeks. There?s not much difference between being hungry and being damded hungry.
    edited November -1
    I man need to be locked away in a Nazi prison camp to make a decent wieght loss.

Have not lost a damn thing, the wife is a great chef.
    "What is truth?'
    edited November -1
    Well, I?m down 10 pounds in five weeks. Haven?t lost any gut, though. Pretty soon, I?ll look like a June bug on a stick weed.