In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bought a Pool Table

Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2019 in General Discussion
Found an old Brunswick Medalist at a local consignment furniture store.

$ 1,200.00 delivered with an additional $ 600.00 to install an level the slates and new felt.

It appears to have spent most of its early life in a smoke-filled bar. (Kind of like its new owner.)

The mother of pearl is stained yellow, as are the point counters.

The brass on the corner protectors is well worn from decades of forearms, elbows and sweat.

A commercial model, built like a tank. A well used, but beautiful tank.

Rekindles some fond memories.
Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele

Comments

• Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    (Kind of like its new owner.)

I caught that :lol: and can definetly relate.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,355 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Nice! I miss those old smoke filled bars. We hadn't been in a proper bar in several decades. The wife went into a bar in town a couple years ago to one that was said to have killer prime rib. Without 2 feet of cigarette smoke hanging down off the ceiling, well it just wasn't the same.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,649 ******
    edited November -1
    The last bar I was in, I thought I was dancing until someone stepped on my hand.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Junkballer wrote:
    (Kind of like its new owner.)

I caught that :lol: and can definetly relate.

In my younger days I had a neon tan year round. :D
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never did like bars, although I did go to a lot of dance clubs when my wife was alive. Is she loved to dance

But all I found them bars was guys it got done felt 10 ft tall and wanted to get in a fight with the biggest person that was there which was usually me.

Strip bars on the other hand are all right but not great. I could belly up to the bar while everybody else is watching the skanks dance and throw their money away, and not be bothered. Although it does piss off the skanks when you're not paying any attention to them, but at least I don't get in fights.

I love to play Billiards, billiards is supposed to be a gentleman's game, but you don't see very many gentleman in bars. Just a bunch of drunks that that are sore losers and want to go outside and get their * beat down because you beat them at the game. Nope, it's never been my type of the place to hang out.

You did good buying your own pool table so you don't have to hang out in those seedy places anymore, I've owned several pool tables through the years and enjoyed the game
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a good deal. Those old Brunswicks are totally bullet proof.

In the event of catastrophic events. Get under it for safety!
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never did like bars, although I did go to a lot of dance clubs when my wife was alive. Is she loved to dance

But all I found them bars was guys it got done felt 10 ft tall and wanted to get in a fight with the biggest person that was there which was usually me.

Strip bars on the other hand are all right but not great. I could belly up to the bar while everybody else is watching the skanks dance and throw their money away, and not be bothered. Although it does piss off the skanks when you're not paying any attention to them, but at least I don't get in fights.

I love to play Billiards, billiards is supposed to be a gentleman's game, but you don't see very many gentleman in bars. Just a bunch of drunks that that are sore losers and want to go outside and get their * beat down because you beat them at the game. Nope, it's never been my type of the place to hang out.

You did good buying your own pool table so you don't have to hang out in those seedy places anymore, I've owned several pool tables through the years and enjoyed the game

You must have lived in a real chittie part of the country to have bars like that.
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought a beautiful full size table that had a "spackle" like material on all the wood at a garage sale (2 piece very heavy slate top), paid $200. I removed the "spackle" and the wood was a walnut/veneer walnut. Finished up beautifully! Had a guy out of Chicago come out and install new pockets and felt. Told me it was a combination of Brunswick parts and others that occurred when the factory burned down and all salvageable pieces were sold off and used in "this" type of table!? Still shows old cigarettes burns on side rails, real neat piece.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always wanted a Snooker table, that was my game, after you get use to those small pockets a regulation 8 Ball table pockets looked like swimming pools....can't miss :lol:

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    one pool hall here in town last I heard was closing down because of too many fights. other one, with much better tables, is well aware of that and up front about keeping out the riff raff.

one time we were doing some demo work on a house as part of the carpentry job. they had a 6' coin op Valley in the basement that got smoked from the fire. I said what are you going to do with that? they said bust it up and throw it away. I said no way! they said it's yours if you can get it out of here. I said bet. took it apart and took it home. it had a 1-piece 3/4" slate and crossbars going every which way inside, thing was solid as a tank. I think it was from the 40's or 50's.

had it at my house for a while but it made guest appearances at other houses too. one guy already had a pool table, now he had two; then I took it over to another guy's house for a while, and this knothead showed up one night who was known for stealing cars. at the time he had a Glock 17 on him that I would have guessed was stolen, he wanted to bet me my pool table for his gun in a game of pool. I wouldn't do it because I knew I was going to beat him and something told me things would get ugly collecting on the bet. so we played and I spanked his *. someone told me later that if he lost the bet he would have skipped the conversation and just shot me .

another time a bunch of us went on vacation to a lake out in the sandhills and took it with us. leveled the sand best we could, laid down a 5/8" plywood, put the table on that and leveled it with a 4' level. shoveled sand back on the plywood and we were playing pool on the beach. got quite a few funny looks from people driving by in their boats.

sold it for 200$.

I played on many Gold Crowns, never seen a Medalist. what's different about them? how thick is the slate? and is it 2-piece, 3-piece or what

need pics!
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

You must have lived in a real chittie part of the country to have bars like that.

I would also bet it's not your size the reason people wanted to kick your *.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great! Now all you need should you not already have them are the old Willie Hoppe one piece cues and rack to be found in the typical pool halls back in the day! :)
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    one pool hall here in town last I heard was closing down because of too many fights. other one, with much better tables, is well aware of that and up front about keeping out the riff raff.

one time we were doing some demo work on a house as part of the carpentry job. they had a 6' coin op Valley in the basement that got smoked from the fire. I said what are you going to do with that? they said bust it up and throw it away. I said no way! they said it's yours if you can get it out of here. I said bet. took it apart and took it home. it had a 1-piece 3/4" slate and crossbars going every which way inside, thing was solid as a tank. I think it was from the 40's or 50's.

had it at my house for a while but it made guest appearances at other houses too. one guy already had a pool table, now he had two; then I took it over to another guy's house for a while, and this knothead showed up one night who was known for stealing cars. at the time he had a Glock 17 on him that I would have guessed was stolen, he wanted to bet me my pool table for his gun in a game of pool. I wouldn't do it because I knew I was going to beat him and something told me things would get ugly collecting on the bet. so we played and I spanked his *. someone told me later that if he lost the bet he would have skipped the conversation and just shot me .

another time a bunch of us went on vacation to a lake out in the sandhills and took it with us. leveled the sand best we could, laid down a 5/8" plywood, put the table on that and leveled it with a 4' level. shoveled sand back on the plywood and we were playing pool on the beach. got quite a few funny looks from people driving by in their boats.

sold it for 200$.

I played on many Gold Crowns, never seen a Medalist. what's different about them? how thick is the slate? and is it 2-piece, 3-piece or what

need pics!

Don't know the difference between a Medalist and a Gold Crown. This one was available, and after a few minutes on the internet machine, appeared to be very reasonably priced.

First try at pictures on the new format. Lets see if it works.

383005_1ebd542410176968048ba8357fd3ff0e.jpg383005_cd0c12e3f03cfc121e674c3241bae179.jpg

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,260 ******
    edited November -1
    Looks like a good find! I need to check out that consignment shop. I've heard there are some high dollar items in there.

My buddy had a professional grade pool table when we were growing up. Never did figure out how his parents managed to get it up into their upstairs game room. Thing was super solid. I think they opted to sell it with the house.

Never was any good at pool. ;)
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Looks like a good find! I need to check out that consignment shop. I've heard there are some high dollar items in there.

My buddy had a professional grade pool table when we were growing up. Never did figure out how his parents managed to get it up into their upstairs game room. Thing was super solid. I think they opted to sell it with the house.

I am getting better. Used to think I was a lot better than I actually was, in that it was college bars and competition was youngsters like myself who may have had a beer or twelve.

Consign Furniture is a interesting place to wander around in once or twice a year. Every now and then they have some high end things for reasonable prices. OTOH, they have some things that seem to be over-priced as well. We bought a 12' x 5' solid wood dining room table from them last year for our summer house. Supposedly it was a piece that was commissioned by a guy at one of the nosebleed expensive golf communities nearby for north of $ 50K. Due to the size, it sat under consignment for quite a while, so we got it for around 10% of that. I personally don't believe it was ever $ 50K, but would believe $ 20K.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    edited November -1
    googled it. seems the Medalist is like a home version of the Gold Crown. here's a link with some informed opinions.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=163590
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nice,,,,,very nice !!!!

However, not much fun with just 'one' ball ,,,,,,,, :lol:

it was owned by some lesbians
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,260 ******
    edited November -1

I am getting better. Used to think I was a lot better than I actually was, in that it was college bars and competition was youngsters like myself who may have had a beer or twelve.

Consign Furniture is a interesting place to wander around in once or twice a year. Every now and then they have some high end things for reasonable prices. OTOH, they have some things that seem to be over-priced as well. We bought a 12' x 5' solid wood dining room table from them last year for our summer house. Supposedly it was a piece that was commissioned by a guy at one of the nosebleed expensive golf communities nearby for north of $ 50K. Due to the size, it sat under consignment for quite a while, so we got it for around 10% of that. I personally don't believe it was ever $ 50K, but would believe $ 20K.
    Nice. Would love to see pics of the table too.
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain