In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lesson Learned.

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2019 in General Discussion
Have been coming home, taking off my work boots and socks, sometimes throwing on shorts. Sitting out front/back with the dog for a couple hours, from around 3:30 -5:30 pm.

Well, I am now eat up with mosquito bites all over my ankles/legs, wrists/arms. Freakin' Horrible.
Did not think they would be out quite this early. Guessed wrong. :cry:

Aaarrrggghhh................................................ :shock:

Oh, and a question that has been on my mind that I have been meaning to ask - Why do dogs get heartworms (through mosquito bites?) and Humans do not. (?) Or do they? Whats up with that? I'm worried about my little Buddy. He spends more time outside (by his choice,) than I do. Insight appreciated.

Relief from the itch? Please help. :|

Comments

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buddy will be fine as long as you give a Heart worm preventive.

Humans don't get them(They can) because we are not the proper host. The lave the mosquito deposits in your blood migrate to your heart and lungs but die before they develop in to the adult worm.

Get some mosquito repellent for you and plant some citronella plants in pots on your porch.

Oh yea, Basil is supposed to repel mosquito's and you can eat it too ;)

Relief from the itch: Drink whisky
    RLTW

• Options
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:

Relief from the itch: Drink whisky

On it. (Natty Ice.)

Just got back from all morning at the Jeep dealership in Boone, for a warranty oil change. (Took forever, as they worked on an "Airbag recall" issue as well. (5 people ahead of me, even though I got there at 8:30 am.) They pulled me out to the shop, showed me both back shocks have a small leak, both rear calipers, rotors and pads need to be replaced. "Do you want us to do it?"

Uuhhgghh,..................................No.

Stopped off on the way home, bought all my parts. (Around $400) Came home, ordered 4 Nitro 8.0 shocks. (Added a 1.75" lift kit for $136 while I was at it. $349 for all.) [Quadratec, for you Jeep owners.] They Rock! Great Co. to do business with.

May review RockAuto, I've heard they are about 50-60% of the local shops. Can save me $150+ or so.

Needed a few beers, "for the Itch." :x
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Parasitical tropical infections kill millions of people every year...

Hook worm used to be quite a prominent epidemic in the poor rural southern communities in the US - as the parasites are most often picked up through the skin - through the skin of the feet in the south were up until recently folk (kids especially) walked around most of the time without shoes (poverty and climate and growth spurts and culture play strong roles)

The typical stereotype of the drooling stupid slow deviant slack jawed southern idiot is actually a pretty good description of the side effects and pathology of advanced states on the illness...

Ring worm also plays a role - tics and lice and mosquito's transmit disease (Lyme disease and malaria the most prominent)

These parasitical tropical infections have altered our breeding practices and affected our DNA and development as a race - sickle cell anemia is prominent because the gene that causes it provides resistance to malaria - those folk survived and had kids - passing on and concentrating the condition...

We had largely wiped out or eliminated these problems - but with the heavy influx of illegal immigrants from south America and legal refugees from Africa combined with poverty in big cities and urban wastelands - lack of medical care and cultural or language issues has seen a return of these afflictions in our big cities - large numbers of cases and the young physicians and nurses are not trained to recognize them and have never seen or treated them...

I am only scratching the surface here - it's a bigger and nastier issue than my reply reflects - it's good internet reading though...

Mike
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to rub yourself down from head to toes with Evapo-Rust. Since I drank some the other day I have not been bitten by a single skeeter.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You need to rub yourself down from head to toes with Evapo-Rust. Since I drank some the other day I have not been bitten by a single skeeter.

I'd rub myself down in Kroil, if I thought it would alleviate the itch.

You drinking EVAPO-RUST, Priceless. :o

Taco chaser?
  • Options
    scrumpyjackscrumpyjack Member Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get some Ben?s. It?s the only repellant I?ve found that keeps all generations of Alaskan mosquitoes away. Just the 30% Deet version is enough.

391826_de991819d566006a7845f0f075baf10e.jpeg
  • Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At this point Ken, Benadryl for the itch and some good hooch for the aggravation.
    +1 on the Deet as a repellent. Try some before applying it all over to be sure you?re not allergic to the stuff.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Campho-phenique. Itching will stop in less than a minute. Redneck wonder drug. Skeeters, ticks and chiggers. Will fix anything but a broken heart.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am thinking at this point that is not mosquito bites. Too many and all over, primarily my ankles and lower legs but quite a few on my hands, wrists and arms.

Kept me up most of the night last night. Incredibly itchy. I just finished researching bed bugs and their bites, does not match the bite description or pictures, plus they would be all over.

I am thinking midges (?) Must be a really small insect, I did not notice them while sitting outside with the dog. Have yet to actually spot a mosquito, plus they would need to be swarms of them to account for the number of bites. I am perplexed.

Yes Campho-pheniqe (sp?) I had forgotten about that stuff, I will make a trip to go get some here shortly.

I have been taking cotton balls soaked in rubbing alcohol and wiping the area, it provides temporary relief.

I used to for a long time (26-27 years) manage a large Outdoor Adventure/Equipment store. I am super familiar with DEET, in all its various forms and concentrations. I am loath to apply it. I've got some out of the cupboard, I will have to apply it (obviously) when outside.

It has been very rainy lately, and we have a sizeable mountain pond right behind the house.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here are ten scents mosquitoes hate that will drive them away. You can either plant some plants or just use essential oils soaked on a bar coaster
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If there is a pond/puddle/water feature close to your house, and it has non-chlorinated water in it, stop by the pet store, get a dozen cheap goldfish. They flat love mosquito larvae.

Repellent- I use spray with picaridin. Red can instead of green. Works better than DEET, and works for ticks as well as skeeters.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    11b6r wrote:
    If there is a pond/puddle/water feature close to your house, and it has non-chlorinated water in it, stop by the pet store, get a dozen cheap goldfish. They flat love mosquito larvae.

Repellent- I use spray with picaridin. Red can instead of green. Works better than DEET, and works for ticks as well as skeeters.

This pond is stocked with apprx. 350 Brown and Rainbow Trout. (Spring fed) It also has an enormous variety/amount of bluegill. You can see them all, at the surface in certain light.

I doubt a few Goldfish would make a difference.

I do not think it is mosquitos that I am dealing with, on further examination. Midges/small blackflies? Etc.

Have not heard of Picaridin. Will look it up. Must be fairly new.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like poison ivy...

Calimine lotion is the cure.
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    edited November -1
    wpageabc wrote:

Definitely not Poison Ivy. I am very familiar with that sheeit.

Some type of bug bite. (Not mosquitoes.) Has been most irritating and vexing.

I have been soaking it down with cotton swabs of rubbing alcohol. Temporarily helps.

Midges? Freakin' Killing me.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Steroid shots or oinments if things get ugly.

Looks like the bugs got the better of you.
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    edited November -1
    wpageabc wrote:
    Steroid shots or oinments if things get ugly.

Looks like the bugs got the better of you.

Yes.

Yes, they did.

F'd me up royally. Not even sure what bug took advantage of me.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hot shower or hot bath.

Goldfish releasing might get you a fine. Mosquito Fish from the county free and better but the stock fish would eat them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yoshmyster wrote:
    Hot shower or hot bath.

Goldfish releasing might get you a fine. Mosquito Fish from the county free and better but the stock fish would eat them.

You apparently did not read my previous post, relating to/discussing the fish situation, in the pond behind my house.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wpageabc wrote:

Definitely not Poison Ivy. I am very familiar with that sheeit.

Some type of bug bite. (Not mosquitoes.) Has been most irritating and vexing.

I have been soaking it down with cotton swabs of rubbing alcohol. Temporarily helps.

Midges? Freakin' Killing me.

Chiggers???
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was 64 years old before I realized gnats bite humans. They ate me up while I tried to ignore them!

I was trimming trees last summer during the hottest weather. Shorts, sleeveless shirt, no socks - the chiggers bit me all over - I itched and scratched for days.

Deet, etc. on my skin gives me a headache so I keep large stinky cigars handy. At least it keeps the critters out of my face.

yIYyXZu.jpg
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    castingcasting Member Posts: 110
    edited November -1
    Yep, Chiggers. They hang out next to the water. On blades of tall grass. It doesn't matter, you can't see them. Hot weather seems to bring them out. Some treat the bites with clear nail polish. It works. You can have hundreds of bites. Any half decent pharmacy will have OTC stuff for them. Buy one of each. When I got them the first time, I thought it was fleas from the cat until I itched for about three hours. We had black flies here yesterday. They got me twice. My daughter uses a homemade repellent she makes out of lemon grass and cilantro. She says it works.
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,191 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That sure sounds like chiggers. They are a VERY small red bug that will almost drive you insane with the itching. They will crawl up your leg and bite you all over on the way to your tender areas.

Typing this is making my skin crawl. My wife gets them every year out in the garden, even after spraying with DEET.

Here's a link for more information.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=relief+from+chigger+bites&pc=MOZI&form=MOZSBR
  • Options
    castingcasting Member Posts: 110
    edited November -1
    I forgot to add this last night. If your dog goes into where the chiggers are, it can bring them back to you. Probably not as bad as if you waded into them but you'll get them from the dog anyway. You'll have a bite here and there just enough to drive you crazy.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I am now eat up with mosquito bites all over my ankles/legs, wrists/arms. Freakin' Horrible.

I would hate to be one of those poor mosquitoes. I wonder if they lived though that? :D
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've been leaning toward Chiggers. Freakin' horrible, must have 40-50 bites per ankle/foot.

Much worse itching than mosquitoes.

Grabbed a bottle of Campo-Phenique on the way home. Applied to wrists/arms only so far. Sitting out with the dog. Long pants, socks/work boots still on.

Last two nights have been absolutely miserable. Not much sleep.

And Smitty,

Bite Me.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

And Smitty,

Bite Me.

:mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sitting out back on the back deck, with the dog.

Caught one of the Bassturds biting me.

Very small, flying, black in color. (Midges.) Black flies.

Smashed him into oblivion.

Campo-phoneque is your friend.
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my neck of the woods we call them ? no see ums? they tend to cluster in oak trees and hot humid days or mild rain brings them out in droves. Hate the little turds!
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes.

No See Ums. I had forgot that terminology.

Basstturds...........................................................................................................................
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you need to visit the free clinic???

Do you require a GI short arm inspection???

Do you have lap lobsters???

:):(:o :oops:

Mike
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    another good remedy is , chigger X, it is a white salve wally world around here has it, great for chiggers and almost any other bite you may get usually about $5 a jar and will last almost a lifetime. I get em every year when berry picking, will drive you insane without a good internal dose of alchohol..............