In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

what other things do you collect?

Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
edited May 2019 in General Discussion
We all collect firearm related things and I'm sure many have knives and coins, too.

I collect money bags or other things with logos or advertising from banks that are no longer in business [or at least no longer going by the same name].

I also have a very small collection of the really old post card packets - the small boxes with several photos of a given area or attraction.
I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly

Comments

• Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,455 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,665 ******
    edited November -1
    I am on my third wife, does that count?
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jimdeere wrote:

That's funny right there, I don't care who you are. :D

I collect Lint. (AND) Currently, Bug bites. :?
  • Options
    Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WW2 paper propaganda leaflets. Very hard to come by, most were used as toilet paper ;)
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $.................. ;), they too can be very hard to come by :)

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Junkballer wrote:
    $.................. ;), they too can be very hard to come by :)

Actually you can find them virtually almost everywhere, you just have to work hard to get them :lol:
  • Options
    edited November -1
    jimdeere wrote:

That's not collecting, now if you were a polygamist... :D
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Cornflk1 wrote:
    WW2 paper propaganda leaflets. Very hard to come by, most were used as toilet paper ;)

So are you saying that your collection has brown stains all over them :o:o:lol:
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I go though stages of collecting or mostly tinkering with things. I'll work on one thing for a while and then something else catches my attention and I'll work on it for a while.

I collect and refurbish old Mitchell fishing reels and Garcia Conolon fishing rods.

rYvQrQq.jpg

3JBzjRy.jpg

I collect old fishing lures and vintage tackle boxes.

bzeVNxF.jpg

I collect guns but my favorite are the old Winchester Model 12's.

WhnzUng.jpg

I always have an eye out for old neon signs.

djOoFtw.jpg

I have a small collection of pocket watches of which most belonged to my great grandpa.

bNb2y5d.jpg

My latest hobby is old Johnson and Evinrude outboard motors. I've got a couple that I restored that run and 3 more that need restoration that I'll eventually get around to if I don't die of old age first.

tdQbW5K.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Besides firearms, tools, classic cars, antique lighters, cigarette holders and ashtrays, antique watches both pocket in wrist... nothing
  • Options
    Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, I have a collection of collections :!:

:D
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife would tell you I am a junk collector. The good news is with all my stuff we can still get both SUVs in the garage.

Guns, Tools, Coins, Stamps, Flags, and of course ammo and reloading things.
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Small steel engravings of dead US Presidents.
    Washington Jefferson, Lincoln, Jackson, Grant.
    About 6 inches long.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice batch of Mitchells, Smitty! One of my favorite brands of reel, especially the old 300's and 400's, though much to my surprise the new 300's aren't half bad.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rent :)

:lol: ..........good one there ;)

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cornflk1 wrote:

So are you saying that your collection has brown stains all over them :o:o:lol:

Didn't quite mean it like that, but that's a good one. :oops:
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,971 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Started collecting whiskey about six months ago, mostly bourbon, up to nearly 100 bottles now
  • Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I collect and paint military miniatures..391440_3e86bb01d5987597590ae73623705e79.jpg391440_7c07c9c636c64f7be455754e50da37bd.jpg
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those look great Lt. You should be doing dioramas for a museum.
    jimdeere wrote:

That's funny right there, I don't care who you are. :D

I collect Lint. (AND) Currently, Bug bites. :?

Dryer, or belly button?
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I collect Postwar (1945-1955) Lionel Trains.

My wife would add that I collect stereo and surround equipment since I never get rid of anything that I replace. :lol:

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I got my first paycheck from my first real job I bought a Case pocket knife and a Mitchell 300.I still buy every Made In France Mitchell I can find.I like the old German made Quick reels too.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unfinished projects, apparently. I have four tractors waiting for me to restore. Ferguson TO30, Ferguson TO35. Ford 2000, Allis B. Got my eyes on an Allis D17 as well.. In the middle of '91 Dodge Cummins build. That truck will be a BEAST when I am done. I also have several old Benz's.

Cows, too. I have too many cows.
  • Options
    EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I collect old tools from the late 1930's up to the current made new ones. I also collect old small cast iron air cooled engines from my 1929 Maytag washing machine engine up to engines made in the mid 1970's. Briggs and Stratton, Clinton's, Johnson Iron Horse's, Reo's, Maytag's and Continental's. Briggs are my favorites because so much information and replacement parts are easy to find and cheap in price.

EvilDr235
  • Options
    mnrivrat48mnrivrat48 Member Posts: 1,711 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I collect early small toys. Some slush cast, but mostly early Dowst (Tootsie toy) and French (Simon et Rivollet).I have about 600 toys. I also have a number of early items from Straight razors to tobacco tags. Whatever I happen to find that appeals to me. Including Coins.329611_90766ddec3d0d60c93fadc1f878fd777.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    austin20 wrote:
    Started collecting whiskey about six months ago, mostly bourbon, up to nearly 100 bottles now

How you doing, buddy,
    You know buddies are supposed to share their collection with other Buddies

0ld Buddy old pal of mine ;):lol::lol:
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ltcdoty wrote:
    flyer one.jpg

I collect and paint military miniatures..

You can tell you to spend some time on painting those miniatures... Fantastic job
  • Options
    Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK :

At EX-Wife #6 ? Not looking for #7 ( well maybe Not ) ???

A few firearms : Golf putters : Some fishing stuff : a few coins : police scanners : and STUFF ???

Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    austin20 wrote:

I too have been collecting Bourbon over the last year or so!
    However, I'm only around 30 bottles. It's fun to find some harder to find Bourbons on a shelf where you wouldn't expect to see it! Just found Blantons and Eagle Rare at my local chain grocery store!

I also collect most everything that goes with vintage sporting guns, waterfowl guns, and western guns. Such as, knives, decoys, western, Native American, and sporting/hunting art, books, duck calls, live caller harnesses, a few old shell boxes and powder cans, and of course pocket watches and a number of fobs.
    I sold most of my outboard motor collection, so now I only have 2hp and under little vintage outboards. I probably only have 12-15 outboards left with only 5 or so displayed in my den.

I need a bigger den!
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Zuni fetishes, Hopi and Zuni katsinas, small collection of Inuit fossil walrus ivory carvings. Japanese lusterware s&ps and cream and sugars but only birds. Smokey Bear items, and have small collections of native American beaded bags, and modern projectile points, a few McCoy flower pots, WWII Army patches related to my fathers service. Gun books, mostly related to WWII military handguns. probably a few other things, I definitely have the collector gene.
  • Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I Like Zippos have a bou 50 of these and pick one up when the price is right.
    Don't use them, but for some reason find them neat.

Also wife and I like Hummel and Laddro figurines.
    Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    as many know, I was given all my dads stuff. he collected it not me. so im stuck with most of it.
    case in point, 20 years ago I started the bobski mystery thing pic thread here...trying to i.d 1/2 of his stuff. did pretty good. still got tons of it though.
    tools tools tools.
    I cant decide to donate it to habitat or sell them. I don't know where to start. feebay is hopeless with their fees so they are out.
    same with is power tools etc...its chaos in his shop. it dread walking into it. lol.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    mom was a basket collector. some are 100 years old. some aren't. who knows! not me. yet....I gotta deal with it all. :(
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    austin20 wrote:

How you doing, buddy,

one of the best part of growing this collection is sharing it. stop by and we?ll pull a cork.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    austin20 wrote:
    austin20 wrote:

How you doing, buddy,

one of the best part of growing this collection is sharing it. stop by and we?ll pull a cork.

I'm on my way :)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    austin20 wrote:

However, I'm only around 30 bottles. It's fun to find some harder to find Bourbons on a shelf where you wouldn't expect to see it! Just found Blantons and Eagle Rare at my local chain grocery store!

I also collect most everything that goes with vintage sporting guns, waterfowl guns, and western guns. Such as, knives, decoys, western, Native American, and sporting/hunting art, books, duck calls, live caller harnesses, a few old shell boxes and powder cans, and of course pocket watches and a number of fobs.
    I sold most of my outboard motor collection, so now I only have 2hp and under little vintage outboards. I probably only have 12-15 outboards left with only 5 or so displayed in my den.

I need a bigger den!
    Found a Blantons special reserve today.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depression glass
    White ironstone
    Pottery and ceramics and glass
    Carnival glass
    Igloo coolers made in America
    Books related guns and armaments and military weapons and vehicles - history and archeology and paleontology - antique guides...
    Screwdrivers
    Carpentry planes
    Pocket knives and multi tools - EDC items with a blade
    Backpacks and shoulder bags
    And other smalls and possibles related to the aforementioned above referenced activities

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    did they ever fix the pm/email feature here on gb? im calling people and getting no answers. maybe people are just ignoring me. members never did that when it first all started. maybe times have changed. :cry:
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    austin20 wrote:
    austin20 wrote:

I need a bigger den!
    Found a Blantons special reserve today.

I'm not familiar with a Blantons Special Reserve. I'll be over about 4:30, we can split the bottle!