In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Thanks to the Veterans Administration

Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
edited May 2019 in General Discussion
About 10 years ago, I purchased a set of hearing aids from an audiologist that greatly improved my ability to hear and eliminated the tinnitus.

About 6 years later, when visiting the audiologist for an adjustment, he mentioned the VA was providing them to all veterans with hearing loss, not just those who suffered hearing loss due to military service.

I went to the local VA clinic, had a hearing test appointment and got new hearing aids at no cost and no cost for batteries, all provided by the VA.

Last fall, one of the hearing aids failed, returned to the VA and it was sent in for repair and returned in about 2 weeks. At that times, the VA audiologist said they were just over 3.5 years old and the VA would replace them after the 4 years so made an appointment 6 months later.

I kept the appointment last week, had a new hearing test and will be getting new hearing aids in about 4 weeks. The technology and microphones in them has greatly improved in 4 years so if my current 4 year old ones are rated a 3, the new set will be a 10 providing clearing sounds, highly reduced wind noise, etc.

Also the new hearing aids will be re-chargeable so no more batteries ~ just set then in the charger at night when retiring.

And get to keep my current aids as a backup set.

:):)
The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:

Comments

• wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    God bless uncle Sam...

Of course the Vets as well they are taxpayers and deserve the best for thier service to God and country.
    "What is truth?'
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never been to the VA, not once. (Got out in 1984.)

I need to get checked in, get an ID card, and go.

Hearing aids would be at the top of my list.

I am glad you made out well, and have had good success, Sir.
  • WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same here. About 25 years ago I went to a civ doctor who told me that I needed hearing aids. At the time, my health care provider didn?t cover them so it would be thousands out of pocket. So I went without.

One day while reading a retired newsletter there was an article about VA providing aids to vets at cost. So - I bought a pair for about $700! Man it was good to hear again!

Then the audiologist told me that if service related I could get them free. A couple of hoops jumped thru and voila - I?ve got a fancy set of rechargeable aids!

The VA is like the NRA - some people love them and some don?t. I?ve had nothing but good experience at VA. The only problem is that it?s a 2 hour drive each way. :|
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same here. About 25 years ago I went to a civ doctor who told me that I needed hearing aids. At the time, my health care provider didn?t cover them so it would be thousands out of pocket. So I went without.

One day while reading a retired newsletter there was an article about VA providing aids to vets at cost. So - I bought a pair for about $700! Man it was good to hear again!

Then the audiologist told me that if service related I could get them free. A couple of hoops jumped thru and voila - I?ve got a fancy set of rechargeable aids!

The VA is like the NRA - some people love them and some don?t. I?ve had nothing but good experience at VA. The only problem is that it?s a 2 hour drive each way. :|

I use the check in kiosk and submit for travel pay at that time. It only takes about three more button pushes. They send me a check in a couple of weeks. (Probably a bigger check than they need to, but I really do appreciate it.)
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same experience here. I finally relented and registered with the VA some 25 years after I retired from the Air Force. They immediately started providing annual physicals, nutritionist help, and more. A few months ago, I went in for a hearing test and tinnitus help. A month later, I went back to get my state-of-the-art hearing aids, white noise sleep aids, and more.

I'm still getting used to the aids (my ears are pretty tight to my head and the aids create uncomfortable pressure) but I do wear them almost daily. The white noise generator is used less often after a week trial (I don't need a manufactured rain sound when it is really raining!) and I've already received my first six-month supply of wax guards and such for the hearing aids. So far, I have only had to pay for office visits at $50 each. Vets in less fortunate financial status don't even pay that.

Online research tells me my Resound hearing aids are the latest and best out there for my condition, and would run $5000 and up at a commercial outlet.

I have a small VA clinic here in town, but the main VA hospital is in Salt Lake City, an hour away. I don't bother with applying for gas money.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its nice to hear some good reports about the VA.

They screwed me royally, to the tune of about 7 grand (back about 1980 when I could not afford it) on a service connected problem.

Since that time, I worked hard for my retirement and healthcare and want absolutely nothing further to do with VA.
    I will continue to mumble, "Huh, eh, what, what?."

Think about this: What competent healthcare professional would forego a well-paying civilian career to work a red tape infested government job?

The day the VA hires only vets, I may reconsider.
    Vets genuinely care about vets.
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    never heard of anything that would help tinnitus...sure gets irritating..loud 3 octaves in both ears 24-7-365...sometimes with warbling in the back of it....has ruined listening to music...and have to get close to people to have a normal conversation...but it still beats cancer or heart issues
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, tinnitus can't be cured (despite the claims of some snake oil salesmen) but it can be managed so that it doesn't destroy your life. I've learned to live with mine, and the hearing aids do help because they boost the frequencies that my tinnitus is "hiding" by being so loud. To hear anything 3 kHz and above, I have to have external sounds boosted above my internal noise, in other words. My aids do that. My white noise generator with pillow speakers gives me the rain noise (or any of 20+ others) that helps me sleep on bad nights. All from the VA.

But I suspect I'll never enjoy music again - and haven't voluntarily listened to any in over a decade. No loss, really.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
    edited November -1
    Rocky Raab wrote:
    But I suspect I'll never enjoy music again - and haven't voluntarily listened to any in over a decade. No loss, really.
    You haven?t missed much. Nothing really worth listening to since the 60-80s... :mrgreen:
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    weary travler I'm guessing you go to clarksburg, or pittsburg. Just got back from clarksburg yesterday less than an hour had the hearing test and was approved for the hearing aids. The gal ask me what type I wanted and as I had no idea she showed me about a dozen different types, some with batteries and some rechargeable, as I don't own a cell phone I had no use for the ones that link to your phone, I chose one of the rechargable types as I know the batteries would be a problem, bad eyes and shakey hands. she also said I could get a little box type thing that would send the TV volume directly to the hearing aids, said I could get it later if I wanted no cost. have had great treatment with both the clarksburg where my primary care is and Pittsburg where I had my bypass, I have had no complaint in the last 3 years I have been going to them. the hour drive is a bit of a hassle, but I can put up with it as long as I keep getting great care I have gotten so far.
    edited November -1
    hillbille wrote:
    weary travler I'm guessing you go to clarksburg, or pittsburg. Just got back from clarksburg yesterday less than an hour had the hearing test and was approved for the hearing aids. The gal ask me what type I wanted and as I had no idea she showed me about a dozen different types, some with batteries and some rechargeable, as I don't own a cell phone I had no use for the ones that link to your phone, I chose one of the rechargable types as I know the batteries would be a problem, bad eyes and shakey hands. she also said I could get a little box type thing that would send the TV volume directly to the hearing aids, said I could get it later if I wanted no cost. have had great treatment with both the clarksburg where my primary care is and Pittsburg where I had my bypass, I have had no complaint in the last 3 years I have been going to them. the hour drive is a bit of a hassle, but I can put up with it as long as I keep getting great care I have gotten so far.
    Clarksburg. You?ve got the same pair that I have. I have the TV setup too. It?s great! I can watch (and hear) TV with the TV volume at an acceptable level for Mrs WT. then when she?s thru watching, I can mute the TV and listen to the show thru my aids. They?re great.
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rechargers don't work w/o a power supply. lose power, you go deaf again.
    ill stick to my batteries.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.