In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What would it cost in your neck of the woods?

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2019 in General Discussion
I am going to have the hangar built for my new (to me) plane. We are in a poor area with good Amish builders. The building is 48X24' with a shed roof. 10' tall opening with a clear span of 36' using a doubled gluelam beam. Pole barn type construction, metal roof and sides. I will install the floor and the sliding stacking doors myself.

What would a simple building like this cost in your area?

Comments

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,777 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have lived in enough different states to highly recommend you check with the city, county, and state before any new construction small or large.
    Depending upon where you live GOVERNMENT may want permits, licenses, fees, and collect advance taxes first, plus they may or may not have compliance standards and codes for new construction. In some states it does not matter whether you build on your own property or not. Hoping your area is not as such.

I know one person who built on his own property without even knowing he had to satisfy egregious micromanaging government and was forced to tear it down.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I priced out a 30' x 36' pole barn style "garage" with two overhead vehicle doors on the long side and one 14' sliding door in the end. The bid was about $13,500 delivered and built on my level spot. Your super wide opening is going to run the cost up some.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    chiefr wrote:
    I have lived in enough different states to highly recommend you check with the city, county, and state before any new construction small or large.
    Depending upon where you live GOVERNMENT may want permits, licenses, fees, and collect advance taxes first, plus they may or may not have compliance standards and codes for new construction. In some states it does not matter whether you build on your own property or not. Hoping your area is not as such.

I know one person who built on his own property without even knowing he had to satisfy egregious micromanaging government and was forced to tear it down.
    I live in Meigs County Ohio; anyone and everyone builds what they want when they want. It is one of the major reasons I chose to live here. We got gubmint' it is small, poor and way behind the times, just like we want it.
  • Options
    jrentjrent Member Posts: 89
    edited November -1
    Want a tarpaulin work with anchors?
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    when wife redid and built on to our house in town i had to go to the zoning group in our little pothole on the prairie ( i call the town * Flats) every time to get permission do drive a nail or cut a board..i got so pizzed i finally told wife to handle it or i would do something unpleasant..lots easier to stay home in the country.....all these boards and planning commissions exist for is to have stupid people collect fees and taxes and issue momentous decisions based on ignorance...when i put in a new septic system 5 mile out and a mile from the nearest neighbor i had to make a 50 mile round trip and pay a fee to get permission to do...BS...called em when it was open and installed and some snot nosed gal came out and said "that looks OK"...and left....i changed some things and covered it up and never saw them again ...25 years later it still works fine and i cut off the plastic pipes and capped them below ground...do not need that chit in the yard...i put up a 30x50 w 10' eave post frame, end slider, and walk indoor with a 12' wide lean to for parking , strongpanel steel years ago for $7600 but i imagine the same today at $20K ???... no concrete except sill under end double slider
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would not be able to do it around here.

Too many rules and regs.
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the guys on our flying field made a T hanger out of three shipping containers, cheap enough and works great.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,350 ******
    edited November -1
    Around here the cost of a concrete floor just about matches the cost of a pole barn structure.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Probably about the same where you are.
    But.....................THE TAXES WILL KILL YOU!
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jimdeere wrote:

Put up a 30x 40 12' tall stick built on concrete vinyl sided and roofed for 13K 8 yrs ago. Look like prices have gone up.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, the building cost would depend on the "quality and experience" of the contractor.

Therein there is a W I D E spread ~ also in the quality of the finished product.

Suggestion: put it out for bids and required references.

;)
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • Options
    edited November -1
    drobs wrote:
    22m15deg-Hangar-for-slideshow.jpg

That looks like Ag CAT with turbine engine. You would not believe how BIG those things are.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks big based on those 40ft containers.
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is Meigs County still a big pot growing area like it was back in the 80s and 90s???