In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Pellet Grill ?

Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
edited May 2019 in General Discussion
I'm thinking I want one, but, have zero experience with them.
Looking hard at the Treager Pro series 22.
The next step up has the Bluetooth feature that would be great but, not an extra $150 great in my opinion.
I've looked at the cheaper models from Rural King, Lowes, etc, but thinking that a $100 or so savings on a knock off could bite me in the * with troubles with it.
While I'm pretty sure that they are all made from the same place, I don't want to take the chance just to save a couple $'s.
Any experienced users options are very welcome.

Comments

• IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a Traeger and Geen Mountian dealer and I would definitely get on with WiFi. The new Traeger ware great.
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am in the same boat Chief. After looking at reviews and user friendliness I think that I'm going with the GMG Daniel Boone with Wifi.. Traeger seems to be the "name brand" that most people want because they were the first "kids on the block" so to speak. But after reading reviews on like modeled grills between the two, it seems that the nod goes to the GMG in the DB model that I'm looking at. I've read that the GMG seem to be built better, heat up faster in cold weather, have a nice digital control panel for less $$ than the Traeger's. Sounds like the original T's were good, but once they moved to China they went down hill. I do realize that the GMG's are also made in China, but it sounds like they are still a better constructed grill. FWIW, I read somewhere that the T's that are sold at Costco are different than what you normally find at most retailers, thus being cheaper and not as good. So Chief, as a person in your shoes, or should I say moccasins, I'm just relaying my 5 months or so of research, which is worth as much as you pay for. Good luck in your search! If you come across some great info please post it. Thanks.

Todd
  • SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a model called Pit Boss price was reasonable. I have had very good results. Did some ribs yesterday and they cooked perfectly and were very good.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wi-Fi/Bluetooth on a GRILL !!!!!!!!!!!!

Whooda thunk it????????????
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mobuck wrote:

+1

What does it do?
    RLTW

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    Go with one that uses real wood and be happy that you did. Pellets... ha!
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They do an excellent job and they are very consistent.

I just cant get my head around needing a power outlet to run a grill.

Also- they dont do high temps well- you wont be searing a steak, but you probably know that.
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    toad67 wrote:
    I am in the same boat Chief. After looking at reviews and user friendliness I think that I'm going with the GMG Daniel Boone with Wifi.. Traeger seems to be the "name brand" that most people want because they were the first "kids on the block" so to speak. But after reading reviews on like modeled grills between the two, it seems that the nod goes to the GMG in the DB model that I'm looking at. I've read that the GMG seem to be built better, heat up faster in cold weather, have a nice digital control panel for less $$ than the Traeger's. Sounds like the original T's were good, but once they moved to China they went down hill. I do realize that the GMG's are also made in China, but it sounds like they are still a better constructed grill. FWIW, I read somewhere that the T's that are sold at Costco are different than what you normally find at most retailers, thus being cheaper and not as good. So Chief, as a person in your shoes, or should I say moccasins, I'm just relaying my 5 months or so of research, which is worth as much as you pay for. Good luck in your search! If you come across some great info please post it. Thanks.

Todd

Thanks for the info.
    I plan on looking at them on Friday.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:
    Mobuck wrote:

+1

What does it do?

Yes, "What does it do?"

I read that, and was thinking WTH would I want Bluetooth on a grill for? (As an aside, I do not have anything Bluetooth.)

Luddite.
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:
    Mobuck wrote:

+1

What does it do?

Yes, "What does it do?"

I read that, and was thinking WTH would I want Bluetooth on a grill for? (As an aside, I do not have anything Bluetooth.)

Luddite.

The blue tooth sends the grill temp, and the meat temp to your device. I?m sure it does more but don?t know for sure.
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:

+1

What does it do?

Yes, "What does it do?"

Luddite.

The blue tooth sends the grill temp, and the meat temp to your device. I?m sure it does more but don?t know for sure.

On the GMG that I'm looking at you can remotely start your grill, monitor the grill temp as well as 2 separate meat probe temps and increase/decrease the amount of smoke. You can also down load cook times and other nifty little tricks.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would think the adhesive that holds the pellets together, though water soluble, would add things you don't want.
  • arraflipperarraflipper Member Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is no glue when pellets are extruded the lignite in the wood binds the pellets together.

Smoking Brothers grills are made in the USA, yet as far as I know. Yes Traeger grills have been made cheaper since moving to China.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "I would think the adhesive that holds the pellets together, though water soluble, would add things you don't want."
    No "glue". The pelleting process is all that's needed to hold the pellets together.

The actual circuitry required to run a common pellet smoker is complicated enough w/o adding a bunch of CRAP that is unnecessary.
    FWIW "pellet grill" is a misnomer. Grilling usually involves higher heat than a "pellet SMOKER" can generate. A gas grill is a far better choice for torching a couple of burgers.
    I priced a Traeger pellet smoker at the local farm store @ $950 and a well built knockoff at Menards for $450. I'll probably buy the $450 next time Menards has an 11% off rebate.