In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Desert Eagle 50AE

dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2019 in General Discussion
Any of you fellows fired one or own one?

Mule

Comments

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I received one as a birthday present.

Would not have bought one for myself, but it is a blast to shoot.

The 50AE will explode a gourd like nothing else.

We shot some with 50 BMG FMJ and then with the 50AE HP.

The BMG obviously went right through, leaving a 1/2" hole.

The 50AE HP created a pressure wave that turned a 12" gourd into 2" pieces.

Takes a bit of getting used to. Large grip and significant recoil. One needs to be a little careful.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I received one as a birthday present.

Would not have bought one for myself, but it is a blast to shoot.

The 50AE will explode a gourd like nothing else.

We shot some with 50 BMG FMJ and then with the 50AE HP.

The BMG obviously went right through, leaving a 1/2" hole.

The 50AE HP created a pressure wave that turned a 12" gourd into 2" pieces.

Takes a bit of getting used to. Large grip and significant recoil. One needs to be a little careful.

6? or 5? barrel?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Pretty sure it is a 6?.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 50 will beat itself to death if you shoot it much. Have had two 50?s and one 44 mag. These were all rental guns and they were popular. I personally have no use for such a big clunky gun but some guys just have to have the biggest gun they can buy and more power to them. The recoil isn?t bad due to the size and weight. There are j frame S&W revolvers that kick much more violently. The damn guns aren?t cheap either. I?m guessing a black one will run $1400.00 or so. I once sold a gold tiger stripped one.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one for awhile the one I had wasn't very reliable a lot of FTF may have been the magazine never got around to getting another one for it. Ended up trading it for something else before getting another mag for it like Ricci said too big and clunky
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an IMI Jericho model 941 "Baby Eagle" chambered in .41.action express...

It's essentially a CZ75 or an SAR BGP clone / adaptation / proprietary variant...

It's a timeless yet modern design and it runs flawlessly - mine is a distributors limited edition that combines the military blue and black finish with dark checkered rosewood grips and upgraded sights - in a black case with 3 magazines and a bunch of doodads

I have fired the full size desert eagle with the .357 magnum long heavy hunting bbl and slide (part of a multi bbl set I think) but have never fired one set up for .50 AE - big gun with wide frame / heavy massive beast...

I would like to see a handy semiautomatic carbine or even a bolt action short scout scoped rifle chambered in .50 AE

There was a timberwolf carbine that would have been the bees knees in .50 AE

I do love my Jericho but magazines are rare and ridiculously expensive - and I imagine some parts will Interchange but others will be unobtainable - I do admit to acquiring it solely based on the cartridge being neat.

And I actually know very little about my pistol and it's ammo - which is disappointing for me...

Mike
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have a 10" I've been afraid to shoot :roll: Still in box now for about 20 years!
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    no I never shot one.

dude had one in the booth next to me at an indoor shooting range. every time he shot it, sucked the air out of my booth.

I'm guessing you don't want one in a smaller lighter package.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an IMI Jericho model 941 "Baby Eagle" chambered in .41.action express...

It's essentially a CZ75 or an SAR BGP clone / adaptation / proprietary variant...

It's a timeless yet modern design and it runs flawlessly - mine is a distributors limited edition that combines the military blue and black finish with dark checkered rosewood grips and upgraded sights - in a black case with 3 magazines and a bunch of doodads

I have fired the full size desert eagle with the .357 magnum long heavy hunting bbl and slide (part of a multi bbl set I think) but have never fired one set up for .50 AE - big gun with wide frame / heavy massive beast...

I would like to see a handy semiautomatic carbine or even a bolt action short scout scoped rifle chambered in .50 AE

There was a timberwolf carbine that would have been the bees knees in .50 AE

I do love my Jericho but magazines are rare and ridiculously expensive - and I imagine some parts will Interchange but others will be unobtainable - I do admit to acquiring it solely based on the cartridge being neat.

And I actually know very little about my pistol and it's ammo - which is disappointing for me...

Mike

I have been wanting a "Timberwolf" in .357 magnum, for a while now.

One of my "Bucket list," guns.

I am big in to rifle/pistol combo's, sharing the same ammunition. (Preferebly the same mags.)
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could get a BB rifle and pistol. That would be super cool.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    savage170 wrote:
    I had one for awhile the one I had wasn't very reliable a lot of FTF may have been the magazine never got around to getting another one for it. Ended up trading it for something else before getting another mag for it like Ricci said too big and clunky

This is what I have been hearing and does not give me the confidence in the weapon for the use I had in mind.
    It is comparable in weight to my Freedom Arms model 83 6" barrel in 454 Casull and I had thought having a heavy caliber semi auto versus my single action might be a good thing.
    A lot of Alaskan guides are going with 10mm semi atutos, so I thought I would look into it, just heavier version.

If I have to depend on something against one of our local no fear of humans grizz, I think I'll stick with what I'm accustomed to loaded with 365gr Garrett Hammerheads @ 1600 fps even if I do have to thumb it back each time.

Thanks guys for chiming in, you saved me some money.

Mule
  • Options
    edited November -1
    dpmule wrote:
    savage170 wrote:

This is what I have been hearing and does not give me the confidence in the weapon for the use I had in mind.
    It is comparable in weight to my Freedom Arms model 83 6" barrel in 454 Casull and I had thought having a heavy caliber semi auto versus my single action might be a good thing.
    A lot of Alaskan guides are going with 10mm semi atutos, so I thought I would look into it, just heavier version.

If I have to depend on something against one of our local no fear of humans grizz, I think I'll stick with what I'm accustomed to loaded with 365gr Garrett Hammerheads @ 1600 fps even if I do have to thumb it back each time.

Mule

I think you are making the correct decision. The DE 50AE is a novelty weapon, IMO, and really serves no useful purpose other than a fun pistol to play with. Mine has been 100% reliable, and my understanding is that the higher energy calibers are. I also have one in 357 Mag, and it is prone to gas port obstruction, making it an extremely heavy single shot pistol if not cleaned regularly. A good soaking always clears it up, but after 100 rounds or so, it does have to be cleaned.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dpmule wrote:
    savage170 wrote:

Mule

If you're looking for a semi-automatic pistol to carry in Grizzly country, and if you have 1911-A1 or a Glock 30 you may want to consider a .460 Rowland conversion for either one of them. It'll give you the ballistics of a 44 Magnum, and it's easy to convert back and forth between the 2 calibers by simply just changing out the barrels and recoil springs.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep I've got a few of them. That's the .50AE Mark VII at the top of the photo, the Baby Eagle 9mm in the center of the photo and the .44 Mag at the bottom of the photo.

The one at the top of the photo, the .50AE Mark VII, you can change to several different calibers by changing out the barrel, bolt and magazine.

The only thing I'm not crazy about is cleaning them. The 9mm not so much but the others are a pain in the rear to clean. If you keep them clean they're reliable. The only failures to feed I've even encountered on mine was when they were filthy from shooting several hundred rounds.

Here's some pretty good info on Desert Eagles.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_Eagle

Mi89RMV.jpg
  • Options
    IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a Freedom Arms in 50AE. I loved but only 5 shot
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Idahobound wrote:
    I had a Freedom Arms in 50AE. I loved but only 5 shot

My 'FA 83 454 is 5 shot also.

Mule
  • Options
    IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No better revolver than a FA in my opinion.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mule,

I have a ruger SRH in .454, it's a double action revolver. If you want double action you may want to look at one, I really like mine. Ruger also makes the SRH in .480, it has a lot of power with but less recoil than the .454, you may want to check it out. IMO if you need more power than the .480 a long gun is in order.

Edit: I meant to type, IMO if you need more power than the .454 a long gun is in order.
  • Options
    Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 2nd pistol I purchased decades ago was a 3 screw Ruger revolver in .44 magnum and loved shooting it.
    Relative got a Desert Eagle in .50AE caliber. I have fired it, nice piece.
    Later I acquired an AMT AutoMag V in .50AE caliber.....again great shooter but ammo is a tad expensive.
    Also shoot pistols in .44AMP caliber, .45 Win Mag caliber.
    I have no problem shooting large caliber handguns but realize for some weak wristed that never pitched hay or milked cows by hand or bent wrenches, they are to much to handle.
    :D
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • Options
    edited November -1
    SCOUT5 wrote:
    Mule,

I have a ruger SRH in .454, it's a double action revolver. If you want double action you may want to look at one, I really like mine. Ruger also makes the SRH in .480, it has a lot of power with but less recoil than the .454, you may want to check it out. IMO if you need more power than the .480 a long gun is in order.

Edit: I meant to type, IMO if you need more power than the .454 a long gun is in order.

My 83 is my horseback and bedside weapon in camp.
    If #1 son is in camp and he always brings along his Mossberg 500 shorty loaded with 000 and Brenneke sleeping pills.
    If wife or someone else will be alone in camp while I'm out scouting, hunting, or fishing, I'll generally take along my 1895 Guide gun in 45/70 govt loaded with Garrett loads, that's about a stout of close range bear medicine as you can get without going African type weapon
    I think I'll just stick with what I've carried in the back country for 25+ years. The semi auto was just a consideration.
    However, if were to have a financial windfall, my upgrade would be John or Dustin Linebaugh would be building me a .475 Linebaugh with 5 3/4" hexagon barrel with Bighorn sheep horn grips and I would probably only do that as to have bear medicine to leave one each to my eldest son and grandson.
    Son #2 wants no part of my hand cannon, he never enjoyed shooting it as a kid or as an adult. His deer and elk hunting doesn't much put him into areas where there is a chance of bear conflicts anyway.
    Pack tripping is too much like work for him and I'd have to use an extra pack horse to carry all the beer he like to drink in camp :D

Before you guys think I'm skeered of the dark and long shadows, my pistol is not just carried for self preservation. I have used it to put down horses in the hills that had broken legs and cattle with busted hocks, broken backs and couple dogs.
    I know a guy that had to slit his horses throat to put him down because of a broken leg on a summer pack trip and no weapon, and he feels bad about it to this day. I don't want to have to do that to one that I've raised from a foal. Yep, I'll feel bad when I put it down, always do, but I'll know I ended the suffering.

Mule
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dpmule wrote:
    I'll feel bad when I put it down, always do, but I'll know I ended the suffering.

Mule

Did you ever wonder why people won't go hiking with you? :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,258 ******
    edited November -1
    dpmule wrote:
    savage170 wrote:

Mule

If you're looking for a semi-automatic pistol to carry in Grizzly country, and if you have 1911-A1 or a Glock 30 you may want to consider a .460 Rowland conversion for either one of them. It'll give you the ballistics of a 44 Magnum, and it's easy to convert back and forth between the 2 calibers by simply just changing out the barrels and recoil springs.

This piques my interest. Any recommended outlet for the conversion pieces? TIA.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    dpmule wrote:

Mule

My 460 Rowland conversion is a Clark custom. They don't recommend a pistol that is made in the Philippines or any other soft 1911. But they do have a phone number in the link that I provided to give them a call. They're really easy to talk to and will answer any of your questions.

https://clarkcustomguns.com/product/460-rowland-conversion-kit-for-1911/
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are going to get one go with the Gold Tiger stripe ;)

wm_5620561.jpg
    RLTW

• Options
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:
    If you are going to get one go with the Gold Tiger stripe ;)

wm_5620561.jpg

I'd have to get a rappers "grill" for my mule if I had that. :lol:

Mule
  • Options
    edited November -1

My 460 Rowland conversion is a Clark custom. They don't recommend a pistol that is made in the Philippines or any other soft 1911. But they do have a phone number in the link that I provided to give them a call. They're really easy to talk to and will answer any of your questions.

thanks. I'm interested in converting my Glock.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1

You won't regret it. The Glocks are ported instead of compensated. And I've never fired a Glock of course. But I do love the .460 Rowland... Clark customs barrels are said to be a drop in replacement, but they will fit it for you for free if it's not a direct drop-in replacement. I never did believe in drop in barrels, so when I bought mine I just sent them my firearm to have they're Barrel fitted to my firearm from the get-go. It only cost me shipping to send it in and have it fitted, that way I know that it won't do any damage to my firearm
  • Options
    edited November -1

You won't regret it. The Glocks are ported instead of compensated. And I've never fired a Glock of course. But I do love the .460 Rowland... Clark customs barrels are said to be a drop in replacement, but they will fit it for you for free if it's not a direct drop-in replacement. I never did believe in drop in barrels, so when I bought mine I just sent them my firearm to have they're Barrel fitted to my firearm from the get-go. It only cost me shipping to send it in and have it fitted, that way I know that it won't do any damage to my firearm
    Thanks. We will see how it goes.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1

Thanks. We will see how it goes.

If you do buy one, please give us a review. I don't known anybody that bought one for a Glock. Like I said both my son and I have one for the 1911, but I would like to know how it works out in a Glock. Thank you