In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

One of my favorite days of the year every year PICS

William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2019 in General Discussion
The day varies from year to year but the day I wake up and see the corn visibly sticking up in the field is always a special day for me...
It helps me reflect on the blessings in my life and my need to be thankful. It is always humbling to see nothing one day and wake up the next day to this sight !!!!

NMnwYtql.jpg

This second shot was later in the day after a nice gentle rain...?.

35htp1ul.jpg

Comments

• varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    me too. even thou i only have a home garden, i go out every day after i plant looking for the first green. by the way ill be eating my first corn of the season tomorrow, cant wait. Also i can plow a straighter row than that. :lol:
  • mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we have nothing round here too wet more rain maybe tonite gaurenteed tomarrow getting to late to plant :evil:
  • DEEREHARTDEEREHART Member Posts: 373 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too look forward to the first green of my crops each spring.
    I grow dahlias to cut and give away.
    Rarely do I dig up my tubers
    I maintain about 30 mounds and probably lose 3-4 plants per winter
    It is good for the soul to see your work has survived the winter and will bloom again
    when I find the few that didn't survive I call my friend (commercial grower) she just laughs at me and gives me a grab bag of unknown tubers.
    I plant them and wait to see what I get :D
    Start again next year...?...
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unsung hero!

Thank you for farming!
  • redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm glad you got your crops in. There are still a lot of fields in my area empty. :(
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    its rained rained and more rain the farmers got a couple days hit and mioss to work in the fields ( in the fields next to me but the entire area is the same ) the fellow who farms next to my house managed to get planted and its just now peaking out of the ground but I am sure they are counting the days with there fingers crossed . the crop duster plane was out and busy around us a few Weeks back too wet to go out in the fields to spray but he is fun to watch . ( especially the traffic not expecting him to swoop down just over the wires and road )
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also i can plow a straighter row than that.

Ever see what the rows look like when you hit a yellow jacket nest? It ain't purty?...
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i used to tease an older farmer here about how could he make such straight rows with that green john deere tractor when he had used a red IHC tractor all his life ...ya got a GPS ????..he replied "i dont need no goddurn gps to drive a straight row !!!"....used to look out for him to see if he had any trouble on my way by.....he is gone now and i miss the visits.....RIP Charlie
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The gentleman that farms our property is a true artist. All of our land is terraced and planting in a pattern where there is no overlap or missed spaces takes some thought. i grew up in flat central Illinois where long straight rows went on for miles on some farms. Down here the hills and different type of soil makes terracing almost mandatory to insure drainage and less soil erosion.

It makes harvesting interesting too.....