In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Carpet in homes.

chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2019 in General Discussion
In the days preceding the mid 60s, I cant remember ever seeing homes fully carpeted. Beginning in the mid 60s seems all new homes were carpeted with exceptions of kitchens and bathrooms and everyone with older homes were installing carpet.
Never been a fan of carpet. The stuff is a magnet for dirt, filth, pests and bacteria. Cleaning is difficult, requires vacuuming, and carpet is not pet friendly.

Replaced most of the carpet in my home with wood, laminate flooring and tile. The place looks so much cleaner. Have a few easy to clean area rugs in a couple of some places, but carpet is history in my home. Seems many are following my example. I read about some people in another state that spent thousands trying to get rid of bed bugs in their home. They replace their carpet with tile and laminate flooring and never had bed bud again. Wonder how many on the forums feel the same.

Comments

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    Most people with allergies say their condition improved when they removed carpet and replaced with tile/laminate,etc.
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hard surfaces are the way to go. Wood, tile, ceramics.

Carpet is a magnet for disaster.
    "What is truth?'
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I find the house I will die in, the floors will be tiled or painted concrete with a drain so I can hose and squeegee the floor clean.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What better place could you find to put * carpet in than in a bathroom. :roll:

H9Hw77i.jpg
  • truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The reason is cost. The cheapest up front floor covering is carpet. As with many of the materials used in building houses these days, cheap and fast is what is used.
  • bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Carpet = unsanitary

All hardwood and a few throw-rugs here in SW Virginia.

I haven't been sick since...well, the last time I was sick.
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I took out some carpet and used vinyl tile planks.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Carpet is great on the floor when outside temps are twenty below or more.
    ;)
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Replaced the last of our carpet with carbonized bamboo flooring just a few months ago. Carpet is nasty and creates nothing but dust.
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • AzAfshinAzAfshin Member Posts: 2,986 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our master bedroom is downstairs, so I will never put hard flooring upstairs. Don't want to hear everyone's footsteps while I'm trying to sleep.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quick&Dead wrote:
    Carpet is great on the floor when outside temps are twenty below or more.
    ;)

My thoughts exactly.
  • buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm the opposite. wood floors look dirty to me. anything on them stands out, have to be swept constantly. I don't like it.

that, and dogs scratch up the wood.
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    Our 100 year old + home, when I moved in, had carpet in every room except the bathrooms and the master bedroom upstairs.
    Now, our bedroom and the den/spare bedroom upstairs are the only ones with carpet.
    The downstairs floors are an old, tight grained fir.
    Just beautiful after we had them refinished.
    I put vinyl tile in the kitchen and utility room.
    Our bedroom was the fir but not the quality of the downstairs. That and in the winter, the carpet feel good.
  • castingcasting Member Posts: 110
    edited November -1
    I'm a carpet hater too. When we moved into our house it was wall to wall white carpet. Thick white carpet. Not for long. After the dogs and kids gave it their best effort I started tearing it out and replacing it with tile and hardwood. So far just the main areas. All the bedrooms and the baths still need changed out. I have asthma. It hits me when I walk into my bedroom. Both my upstairs bats need a complete remod so I'm holding off on those till I get to that. Yeah, carpet= germ bank.
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still like carpet in my bedrooms and living room. Laminate in dining room, kitchen, and breakfest nook. Ceramic tile in bathrooms and laundry room. Took all of the carpet out of my rentals years ago. Laminate and viynal planking.
  • SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree about carpet. We do however have it in the bedrooms. In a colder climate it is nice to get out of bed and have a warm surface to step on.

We have wood, tile and slate in all other parts of the house.
  • reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Carpet in bedrooms, tile everywhere else.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All the carpet in our house is gone except for two rooms. The others have tile, slate or vinyl laminate. I do kinda like that carpeted shower in the commercials though.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was remodeling a house in Atlanta in 2001. This was a nice 3 br house in a nice subdivision in north Atlanta, built in 1968.
    Wall to wall carpet. We tore out the carpet, and we discovered, beautiful, wall to wall oak flooring. With paint and sheet rock splatter on it.

We figured that, when the houses in this neighborhood were built in 1968, they just put nice oak flooring in every house. Then if the new buyer wanted carpet they would go ahead and finish the sheetrock walls and ceiling, and paint the sheetrock. They just used the beautiful unfinished oak for a drop cloth.

So in 2001 we tore out all the carpet, and we called in floor finisher guys, they sanded the oak and put satin poly on it, made a beautiful floor.
  • danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,472 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Floors were dirt mixed with wood ash and ox blood. When tamped, the floors became rock hard and appeared polished."

Good 'nuff for Kit Carson,,,,,,,,,it would be good 'nuff for me !!!! ;)
    :D
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Floors were dirt mixed with wood ash and ox blood. When tamped, the floors became rock hard and appeared polished."

Unless you are just doing your shop, to paraphrase Capt. Quint, "you are going to need more oxen." :)
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******
    edited November -1
    He Dog wrote:

Unless you are just doing your shop, to paraphrase Capt. Quint, "you are going to need more oxen." :)

Back in Kit Carson's day, you might have found his floor plan ideal if you ever had to DIG your way out!

Heck! I can see where this type of dirt floor just might come in handy today if the neighborhood you live in is referred to as "the hood" :o

My home only has tight wound carpet with thick padding in the finished basement. It is installed on concrete and the basement bathroom and walkout entryway are vinyl tiled. There is another room down there which is a utility room housing my freezer and gun safe. It has a concrete painted floor done up fancy with speckled paint.

Upstairs, the main house has a combination of floating laminated fake wood with ceramic tile kitchen, bathrooms, and utility room washer & dryer area.

I like this set up a lot except I have developed a few cracked ceramic tiles that follow 3 lines where the house has done some settling. I do not know how hard it will be to fix these areas, but I do have a couple cases of matching tiles if I ever get aroundtoit.
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try Sisal instead of carpet.

Wears like Iron and easy to clean.
    RLTW

• 322nd322nd Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Definitely no carpet in my house! I live in an old brick house built in 1826, beautiful wood floors in every room (except bathrooms), tongue and groove boards with 2 iron nails pounded in at every joist on top. Not sure what the wood is but one room has especially dark wood so I suspect walnut, at least in that room. When we moved in 15 years ago, three rooms had carpet over nice old wood floors! All the carpet is now gone. Come October-November, I'll grab my slippers and I'm good to go against any winter chill!
  • droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Carpet must exist somewhere but is rarer than hens teeth in South America. Haven't seen any wood or laminate floors either. 20 years and not one single scrap. There is a way to lay ceramic tile to easily remove the entire floor rapidly. Install a new 2 cm layer of cement over "rough" finished floor and install new tile.

Ceramic tile / pavers / granite chips-cement / cement are the primary materials for floors. Carpet is pretty nasty stuff when you think about it.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if one did not have carpet where would all the stuff accumulate that one vacuums up ????? and my buddy loves carpet, warm in the winter, cool in the summer in front of the vent...simple ...we have a vac that is strong enuff to >>>> c l e a n it<<<<
  • lew07lew07 Member Posts: 1,055 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Carpet= good when You drop Rolex face down
    Tiles= Not good when You drop Rolex face down