In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Uber?

grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2019 in General Discussion
My Daughter downloaded Uber on my phone today. Being a backwoods hick, I may never use it, but anyone have any tips on using it? Do you tip the driver? How does it work? She used a Credit card we keep for emergencies to hook it up.

Comments

• Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had a friend that did it in Vegas for about 3 weeks, he didn't make much even with the tips.

One thing to consider is that they have got to carry commercial otherwise the passengers are not covered by insurance if they get in a wreck while you're in their car. Uber is on a honor System and just asks if they have insurance does not check to make sure they do. So if they get in a wreck and you don't know if they have commercial insurance or not, you may not be covered if you get hurt. Unless you lie about it and say that you did not hire him, he was just giving you a ride

It is cheaper then a cab if you ever need it, my son has used them a couple of times wedding went to Florida to go on a cruise. It was a lot cheaper then renting a rental car just to get from the airport to his Motel to the dock. Otherwise I would suggest that you rent the car
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Used Uber couple times. One was doing a pro golf match and they saved me a lot of grief. Yes I tipped the driver although I think it is built in the charge. Depends on things but would use again-
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have used it several times in several cities. Here to and from airport (meet them in front of someone else's house so they don't know which house is empty). In other cities from Hotel to wherever. Did not try it in Europe. We usually tip, but about $5, not a lot. You do pay with card, so you don't have to tip at all if you choose not to. Has worked well for us, though some of the drivers are very chatty.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I suggest that you give yourself a "test ride", before you really need to use it; it can be a little tricky.

Most folks order a ride, & track the driver, using a smart phone. Without one, you will be "flying blind".

It will be difficult using uber in a remote area; most service is in urban & suburban areas.

Before you get in a car, always ask "who are you here to pick up?" He'd better give your name.

Neal
  • Options
    WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Uber is great. I?ve used it a couple of times. Order up a ride and off you go. As others have said, test it out before you?re in a time crunch.
    My daughter doesn?t have a car and lives in Houston. She uses it all the time. Apparently cheaper than owning a car...
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Uber is great- I dont know how the drivers make any money but the service is nice to use.

Yes tip as appropriate.

The drivers get to rate you just as you get to rate them. If you are rated low- the other Uber drivers aren?t going to want to pick you up.
  • Options
    mag00mag00 Member Posts: 4,719 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do the let you use a motorcycle for uber?

I watched some vids of a guy picking up rides in exotic sport cars like Mclarens.