In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Would You Hire Someone

dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
edited August 2019 in General Discussion
Would you hire someone that takes morphine and oxycodone daily?

Comments

• Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are they willing to share??
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******
    edited November -1
    depends on the job. Pre-assly work,ect. sure. Heavy equipment,logger,ect with others life at the other end,NO.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No.

For 26 years, I was an electrical foreman/superintendent on very large jobsites.

While it may be rightly required to reduce your pain, and under a doc's supervision, your diminished, {and don't tell me it doesn't} brain activity may get you killed or others hurt.

Get a job where a mistake won't hurt someone, like an office job.
    Turning on the wrong circuit breaker may kill a worker on the other side of the building...
    filing a paper in the wrong file cabinet won't.
    We maintained a 100% drug free work place for 15 years running.

Flame away.
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Plain & simple........No Way ! Your liability would be too great ;)

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it is legally prescribed it is none of my business.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    But....if you turn down someone with a disability, he may be able to prove that you discriminated against him.

Maybe the safest approach is to require the applicant to get a medical exam, & give the doctor permission to release the results to you. You are looking for a "fitness for duty" report. Either way, the report should protect you from liability, as much as that is possible.

Neal
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Warbirds wrote:
    If it is legally prescribed it is none of my business.

+1
  • tcattttcattt Member Posts: 41
    edited November -1
    The short answer is NO. File it under no good deed goes unpunished, and may GOD help them, I could share many heartbreaking stories pertaining to this subject.

My company does large construct projects at industrial facilities. Some of the largest companies in the world.

We will try to help the homeless, addicts, ex-cons, etc. I have a two time felon on my payroll at this moment, he is my go to guy, he made mistakes as a youth and paid for it dearly. He has made his peace with GOD and has been transformed with a nice family and good paying job.

Substance abusers are another matter. Addiction changes people, and YES, that includes Marijuana users. That is all I will say on the matter.

Never let a contractor work on your small business or YOUR HOME without current proof of liability insurance and proof of drug testing policy. You may save some money by doing business with the guy that works out of his truck, but if his guy comes back from lunch HIGH and falls off your roof, you and the guy that employed him will be meeting one of the slim ball Lawyers that you see on TV.
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How attractive is she :roll:
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for marginalizing me further then cancer already has...

Mike
  • medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As others have stated it depends completely on the job/work performed.

Business jobs/white collar it most likely is not a problem.

However if it is a job operating machinery, running heavy equipment, working with electricity, etc...then it has a bearing on the ability to perform the work without impairment.

Think of it this way. Would you want to have a surgeon performing an operation on you if he/she was on a heavy narcotic for pain control? As an EMT, I was not allowed to operate a unit on the street if I was taking any medication that could impair my ability to safely operate the ambulance or would impair my judgement/ability to evaluate/treat a patient.

In the military we remove people from certain duties when on narcotics. If they end up having to remain on narcotics, then they are cross trained into a different career field that does not have the potential to cause damage to equipment or loss of life to others.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    Who the heck wants to work when they?ve got a buzz?
  • gruntled2gruntled2 Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My company commander in the Army was on morphine from combat injuries in Korea. Many years later I was reading one of those combat magazines & his name turned up several times in an article about one of the battles for a hill after the lines had somewhat settled. They mentioned how he was wounded several times & refused to be taken off the line until he couldn't refuse. Very odd to be reading about someone you knew.
  • HessianHessian Member Posts: 248
    edited November -1
    Fatigue, inattention, distraction or just plain stupid, multiply that by the number of people on the job and the potential for catastrophe exists. Throwing drugs into the mix can't be good.

I've meant very few people who could thrive while on drugs. In most cases, it is a downward trajectory, may take months or even years but most all regular drug users are on the way down.

I've seen productive competent people that have their lives slowly erode around them from drug use. Cocain seemed to be the worst, it would make a person's life and productivity grow in the beginning, then the tipping point, then the downward spiral. Seemed to erode a persons judgment as well as their morals, they seemed to lose their center. I've watched it happen many times, it has never ended well. I've kept them on the job way past when I should have cut them loose hoping for them to get better, never happened.
    edited November -1
    Wow now I'm immoral too...

Mike
  • Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have never hired any person who used illegal drugs....and never will.

If found to be using illegal drugs once employed, would be dismissed instantly.
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    If legal and prescribed; absolutely. Here, and maybe everywhere, if I get drug screened for employment, the screening company has to call to verify whether you have a prescription for these substances. If you do, the hiring company never knows about it; they receive a clean report.

Full disclosure, I have been on opiates since '94. There is zero chance of me being able to work without them. I would be forced to be another person taking from SS instead of contributing to it. I have tried reducing or stopping (slowly), both times led me to literally being down and out and existing on a mattress on my living room floor, that is not living. When taken right, especially long term, there is no 'buzz'. It just takes the sharpness off sciatica and other nerve inflammation.

Now, to performance... I have graduated from college on them, I have driven that whole time (25+ years now) in city traffic with no wrecks that were my fault. The only ticket I got during that time was when I was out of state and rolled through a stop light at 2am. They used this to harass this out-of-towner and due to the laws there, I ended up having to fight a DUI in spite of all the above. It should have been a traffic citation (if even needed, the cop and I were the only ones on the street).

Depending on the job, I would use copious amounts of care if someone gets hurt and just starts taking them (that has never been on them before). Like the commercials state, don't do certain things until you know a medication will affect you.

Due to junkies, the opiate laws in this country are getting absolutely asinine. It is obvious they are driven by people that haven't used them, or been around people who needed them. Like gun laws, they may be well intentioned, but in the end it only really negatively affects those who are doing the right thing. The abusers will get them anyway.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK :::

In a word ; NOPE !!!

Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow now I'm immoral too...

Mike

The immoral comment seems to be directed at illegal users, Mike.

I have spent a week or two on opiates following a couple major surgeries. There are some things one should not do when so medicated, but many that would not be restricted.

For me, hiring would depend upon the job description.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
    edited November -1
    I don't believe that anyone here has specifically targeted me or called me out as an addict or an immoral slacker or doper must seeking the next high...

We had a member who was doing just that - he is gone now.

And perhaps I am a rare exception due to my circumstance - and perhaps members here respect me and understand the situation I am trapped in - and while they may dislike me personally that at least accord me some respect based on what I have been through...

But Dave and Maloxx and myself and nord and a bunch of others seem to fall into a category of second class citizens - or unwashed untouchables - weak drug seeking addict who are not ready in much pain we just like getting high and are untrustworthy...

I don't say you have spoken those words or ascribe to that belief but a bunch of members have and do...

And it hurts and feels like an attack from those I considered friends and peers.

Maybe that's not fair either - but I hope his can see the corner we feel we have been painted into - the Scarlett letter we wear...

No shouting or rage - just an insight and explanation.

Hope for understand.

Mike
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm actually amazed that anyone not terminal can even get opiates. I fell off a ladder and had internal injuries and all they gave me was a tylenol lol.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not understand anyone using opiates of they do not have a definite need, Mike.

I got off them as soon as I could because of how they made me feel. Refused them after my last few surgeries. For me, the pain was more tolerable than how I felt after using oxy-something.

I wouldn't worry about what some people say or think. If you need something you need it, and as I have stated before, your story and Dave's story, and that of a couple of others here are an inspiration.

The need to use painkillers does not diminish someone in my mind, but we all need to understand that there are limitations as to what someone can be expected to do while using them.

Don
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    but we all need to understand that there are limitations as to what someone can be expected to do while using them

The pain and the underlying symptoms that causes the need for them certainly limits me. For newer users, I cannot disagree. But, for those of us that have to rely on them for many, many years have learned to deal with them. It is really no different than a person with limited mobility driving. At first it may be dangerous and scary to everyone, but once they get used to it, then it isn't much different.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I?ve been in pain now for a few years, sometimes just dull pain I?m used to and ignore and some days it is so bad I cannot walk. All I can take is Advil, nothing more. If I took prescription pain meds I cannot drive, I?m dangerous enough without them.

If I was to hire a truck driver there would be zero tolerance for any drug use.
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dav1965 wrote:
    Would you hire someone that takes morphine and oxycodone daily?
    For what? is it prescription?

I'm on Fentynal and Oxycontin for chronic pain from 2 compressed vertebra, thanks to osteoporosis thanks to a doctor that kept me on steroids for nearly 5 years to control IBSD (gut ulcers)
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, never ever again. BTDT got the burns.
  • Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a significant difference between self medication, for recreation, and taking meds for explicit purpose. This thread lacks definition.
    edited November -1
    "" significant difference ""

Does the drug know the difference???

I don't care why you took it, I'm not letting a person on drugs put a lock-out tag on a 4160 volt switchgear, so someone 600 yards away can unbolt a lug from a transformer.

You got pain, you got a doctor's scrip, good for you or You like the street high you get, it's your life. Now stay off my jobsite.
    edited November -1
    It would be fine with me if all the illegal drug users took a long dirt nap.
    That would save the taxpayers billions annually in court costs and keeping them in jail or putting them in rehab.
    :D
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.

edited November -1
    It would be fine with me if all the illegal drug users took a long dirt nap.
    That would save the taxpayers billions annually in court costs and keeping them in jail or putting them in rehab.
    :D

• diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    babun wrote:

I don't care why you took it, I'm not letting a person on drugs put a lock-out tag on a 4160 volt switchgear, so someone 600 yards away can unbolt a lug from a transformer.

You got pain, you got a doctor's scrip, good for you or You like the street high you get, it's your life. Now stay off my jobsite.

That right there would get you kicked off the job site I?m on. If you?re the one touching the gear, you put the loto on yourself.

I?m not trusting my life to anyone else?s lock.

And to the OP, in this line of work, you?re on light duty, not allowed to touch things if you?re on prescription opioids.
    edited November -1
    diver-rig wrote:
    babun wrote:

That right there would get you kicked off the job site I?m on. If you?re the one touching the gear, you put the loto on yourself.

And to the OP, in this line of work, you?re on light duty, not allowed to touch things if you?re on prescription opioids.

I over simplified the lock-out for the non-electricians here.
    Our procedure was Me signing the tag with my cell phone number, the name of my Co.,
    and the date. Only I had the keys to the lock outs. ALL my workers were present at the locked out switch when put on, along with the "head" of the plant, building, who ever was in charge of the customer we were working for.
    edited November -1
    babun wrote:
    diver-rig wrote:
    babun wrote:

I over simplified the lock-out for the non-electricians here.
    Our procedure was Me signing the tag with my cell phone number, the name of my Co.,
    and the date. Only I had the keys to the lock outs. ALL my workers were present at the locked out switch when put on, along with the "head" of the plant, building, who ever was in charge of the customer we were working for.

Our lock outs had holes for up to 6 padlocks, any subcontractor could add a lock to my MASTER lock.

loto1.png
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1