In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Panhandlers!

grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2019 in General Discussion
While getting gas yesterday, a middle aged man comes up asking me to help him get some food. There is a burger joint next door, so I said I would go there with him and feed him a burger meal. He acted like I had called him a raycist name, just asked for the money! NOPE! If you are hungry, I will feed you, but I ain't feeding your addictions! He wandered off hitting up everyone he saw.

Comments

• dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    grdad45 wrote:
    While getting gas yesterday, a middle aged man comes up asking me to help him get some food. There is a burger joint next door, so I said I would go there with him and feed him a burger meal. He acted like I had called him a raycist name, just asked for the money! NOPE! If you are hungry, I will feed you, but I ain't feeding your addictions! He wandered off hitting up everyone he saw.

+1

Mule
  • Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup .. same with those on corners, by WalMart, etc. with cardboard signs. They just want the cash, not help or a job offer.

People that given them cash are suckers and enablers for more panhandlers moving in the area.

:evil:

I have worked for everything in life and won't give it away to those who are lazy or scammers.
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At least he wandered off. I got cussed for the same offer. Your jones ain''t my problem. I try never to solve someone else's problem, by making it my problem.
  • WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Too true! Hey want money and not a hand UP.

I read a while back where some of these folks are actually well to do. Hey make enough panhandling to live in. Ice places and drive nice cars... All tax free!
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK :

A few years back while living in Tucson AZ. : there was panhandlers on most every corner :

I will will never forget this one guy had a card-board sign : It Said " No lie - I want a beer " ! and people was giving him $$$ ???

My (now ex) Mother in law kept packages of ramen noodles in her car , when a panhandler came up to her , she gave them a pack ???

You would Not believe the 'homeless' that hang out @ the local hospital ?????

Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They do make money, some more than others. A few years ago they found a dead junkie panhandler with $5,000 on him. He was doing so well he was using way more than he needed to get high and it killed him. We have an anti panhandling ordinance here in Yakima but it?s rarely enforced.
  • WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will will never forget this one guy had a card-board sign : It Said " No lie - I want a beer " ! and people was giving him $$$ ???
    Hey - at least he's honest! I'd consider giving him a buck for a beer!
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
    edited November -1
    Hey - at least he's honest! I'd consider giving him a buck for a beer!

Last sign I saw, said a beer in the bar was $6.00

:shock:

No, the sign didn't talk, the price was printed on it. ;)
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.

• tcattttcattt Member Posts: 41
    edited November -1
    Put into any of the large gas station / truck stops and you will likey be approached.

It is the reason that I am always armed now, at least with pepper spray at the handy.

I had two bad experiences, one in Atlanta and one in South Carolina.

The one in Atlanta was very aggressive when I told him that I did not have any money, ( I had just watched him scratching lottery tickets in front of the store). I was convinced for a moment that this guy was going to get a mouthful of unleaded.

The other one in South Carolina, had a guy approach talking loud, I told him not to approach, he jams his hand in his pocket and pulls out his hand in the gun shape with finger pointed at me and acts like he is shooting me.

I keep pepper spray in each door of the truck as well as the console, and I always have a firearm that I can get too.

Have had other instances, I look for them now and can usually spot them.

I have offered at least two guys with signs a job on the spot and both refused without asking details.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was needing a hand a while back, just moving cut limbs and brush from point a to point b by hand. Nothing more, nothing less. I asked 6 different ones near there if they wanted work. None did. In fact, one of them after asking me in perfect english for money, claimed he didn't know English. So, I asked him in Spanish, if he spoke Spanish. He kept saying "he didn't speak English".

There was a guy at a corner recently with a sign that simply said "Her lawyer won". :lol:

I have put gas in a couple of tanks before. The first one just asked for a few bucks in gas (not money). They also didn't look the typical part and did have out of state tags. I told him to pull up after I move my truck. I then topped it completely off. He tried to give me his watch as payment. I just told him I've been there before.
    I was once stranded at around age 17 or 18 because I forgot my billfold and didn't realize it until time to fill up and I was 100+ miles away from home. I had stopped at this little town in S.E. Kansas that only had one station and the streets roll up early. It was near closing time, and my parents were on a cruise (I was doing their delivery route that week). I went in and explained the situation to the person at the store. I was doing a rough calculation in my head how much gas it would take to get me back home. Anyway, a local cop was in the store and overheard it. He asked me who I was delivering for. I told him. He asked me to describe him, what he normally drives. I told him and then he tells the clerk get my info and to let me fill up and if I didn't pay in a couple of weeks he'd cover it. Turns out, my dad usually goes through there after they close, and the cop is usually sitting at that store running radar so he knew him a little. I mailed a check when I got back home to cover the gas. Then, a few weeks later, I sent a dozen cookies with my dad and told him to give to the cop if he was there.
    The irony to this story. It is about 3 miles from where I have hunted for the past 29 years (my wife's family land). I met my wife within a year or so of this happening.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know some mabye all the bigger towns they have to get a permit that tells me its a racket from the get go

I use to work construction some jobs in down town Dayton Oh whaile eating lunch countless hits on a buck for food
    I did see so many people eating out of trash cans what ever they could find to a guy from a small town it was shocking
    being young I would go ahead and give them a buck to buy the cheap wine WTH have at it

a few years back my wife went to shopping center ( mall ) with her sister younger girls were aproching people my sister in law explained to my wife they ask the women for gas money or food what ever to get home they offer up favors to the guys for the cash
    no she would not tell me the location :shock:
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My son and two of his friends were just in Vegas visiting/partying with another friend they all grew together with. After gambling/drinking on the strip, they wandered down Fremont st and saw a young guy in a wheelchair panhandling. He had a white board sign that said "I need a $1 for a taco".
    Callen told him he would give him $2 if he could re-write his sign, and the guy agreed. He wrote "Who chitted my pants?".
    Two Vegas cops saw them, thought they were harassing the guy, and came over to investigate. The cops started laughing along with the panhandler, and tossed a couple of dollars in his can. Other people on the street came over to see what was going on, started cracking up, and donated too. In about 20mins he had over $50.
  • chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I fuel up mostly at truck stops. I don't like panhandlers because I have to divide my attention with doing business and closely watching my stuff. Recently I mentioned to the Truck stop employees that someone was working their business. They seemed to appreciate the information and said they would look into it.
  • wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just tell them, "I don't give away money". And I tell a lot of them that!
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited November -1
    Yes sir. I just don't give help like I use to. Agree with OP X's 10000.
    edited November -1
    He wrote "Who chitted my pants?".

I don't get it ....makes no sense. :?:

• ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They can be creative. I had a guy come up to me and asked for money for a veteran. I asked him what outfit was he in...he told me he was with the Arctic Airborne, that he jumped out of planes on skis..

I also watched a guy get out of his car, remove a wheelchair from the trunk, put on an American Legion hat, and wheeled himself down to a corner.

Finally I had a black guy come up to me and asked if I would like to contribute to the United Negro Pizza Fund. I gave him five bucks.... :D
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    People like you is the reason those "road dogs" have fat dogs. I forget what I was watching where the actor playing homeless said "food's easy to find booze is not".
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tell him I'll give him a job so that they can earn the money to get the food. The way they always run away you would think that I threw a rattlesnake at them
  • gruntled2gruntled2 Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I get home I usually pull my wallet out of my pocket & throw it on the bed before I set down. Too often I have then left without my wallet. I have ordered food & then had to tell them to cancel the order. One time I needed gas & actually had to ask for money at a gas station to get home. Since then I keep a twenty & a copy of my driver's license in the glove compartment of my car & on my motorcycle. That's the one excuse I would have to honor to pay back the Dollar I mooched. (At least I was on a motorcycle so I didn't need too much.)
  • US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gruntled2 wrote:
    When I get home I usually pull my wallet out of my pocket & throw it on the bed before I set down. Too often I have then left without my wallet. I have ordered food & then had to tell them to cancel the order. One time I needed gas & actually had to ask for money at a gas station to get home. Since then I keep a twenty & a copy of my driver's license in the glove compartment of my car & on my motorcycle. That's the one excuse I would have to honor to pay back the Dollar I mooched. (At least I was on a motorcycle so I didn't need too much.)

Sometimes it is a good thing to keep all of your eggs in one basket.

;)
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,817 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Giving them money only further enables them
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gruntled2 wrote:

When my wife and I take a road vacation, any cash we have, we divide 3 ways. My wife and I both take a third, and the vehicle has 1/3 hidden in it. That way we shouldn't lose it all.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quick&Dead wrote:
    He wrote "Who chitted my pants?".

I don't get it ....makes no sense. :?:

I don't get it either. I thought Who was on 1st?