In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anybody Have One

dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
edited August 2019 in General Discussion
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/825860483

I was wondering who has shot one and how well the silencer works.

Comments

• bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would certainly wonder if it was fully cleanable. Otherwise, it'll be a heavy counterweight in no time.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cant quite see the need for a silencer on a muzzleloader? Gimmick.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I would certainly wonder if it was fully cleanable. Otherwise, it'll be a heavy counterweight in no time.

It is permanently attached to the barrel and is not user serviceable. If something did go wrong, you'd have to send the entire barrel to SilencerCo and have them work on it. Although the so called moderator doesn't fit the definition of a silencer, it is more of a novelty than anything functional. When I saw the rifle at the SHOT Show, my first thought was where do you attach the ramrod to the rifle? You don't. You have to carry the ramrod along with you...somewhere.
  • wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    MSRP: $999 :o
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I figure you just plunge the silencer in a bucket of water to clean it.
    Using a bucket of water to clean a BP rifle is the easiest way to do it once the barrel is out of the stock.

If they made a Pistol version, I'd be tempted to buy it.
    edited November -1

It is permanently attached to the barrel and is not user serviceable. If something did go wrong, you'd have to send the entire barrel to SilencerCo and have them work on it. Although the so called moderator doesn't fit the definition of a silencer, it is more of a novelty than anything functional. When I saw the rifle at the SHOT Show, my first thought was where do you attach the ramrod to the rifle? You don't. You have to carry the ramrod along with you...somewhere.

Based on what I see, and your expert follow-up, it certainly sounds like a novelty. I have an AAC Pilot .22lr suppressor that is sealed and it has gained a lot of weight from lead and powder deposits. I could not imagine how quickly this would fill up as well. I hadn't really thought about the ram rod issue... That's a deal breaker for me.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/818049654

For granny to keep the kids safe while babysitting . Just a little self protection...

230 grain ball FMJ

Mike
    edited November -1

Based on what I see, and your expert follow-up, it certainly sounds like a novelty. I have an AAC Pilot .22lr suppressor that is sealed and it has gained a lot of weight from lead and powder deposits. I could not imagine how quickly this would fill up as well. I hadn't really thought about the ram rod issue... That's a deal breaker for me.
    edited November -1
    https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2018/5/24/hardware-silencerco-maxim-50/

SilencerCo recommends cleaning the suppressor after 50-60 shots. It?s an easy process. I detached the barrel from the stock and removed the breech plug. I set the suppressor end in the bottom of a sink, and ran warm water into the barrel until the suppressor was filled. Then I flipped it around and ran warm water into the suppressor until it came out clear. I set the barrel?breech end down?in a corner to drain completely and dry.
    edited November -1
    Interesting read wiplash. Thanks... I found this line somewhere between interesting and dubious:
    SilencerCo rates the noise level of the Maxim 50 at 139.9 decibels (dB), when loaded to specifications. Anything greater than 140 dB is considered damaging to your hearing.