In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Do you shoot a .17 HMR semi auto?

Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
edited August 2019 in General Discussion
I have three semi auto firearms in .17 HMR caliber.

The all shoot very well, are very accurate and function perfectly.

They are made by Excel Arms ... two Accelerator MP-22 semi auto pistols in .22 Magnum with the interchangable .17 HMR barrel and one Accelerator MR-17 rifle.

I have contacted Excel Arms for extra magazines one time and again for a feed ramp (my fault for losing it) and received quick, courteous assistance and service. They are a top notch firm in my opinion and experience.

Sadly, like most firearm manufacturers, the .17 HMR semi auto's have been discontinued; except for Volquartsen.
The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:

Comments

• coyote 270coyote 270 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I beiieve Savage is still making the A17 semi auto.
  • varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    saw a guy buy a savage today at the local pawn shop. bought a box of 20gr cartridges for it, said he thought the heavier bullet would kill hogs better, and i really believe he was serious.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the exact opposite.

A single shot, break open bull barreled, Harris bipod mounted, NEF composite stock. (Forget what scope I have on it currently.)

It is a Laser beam.

Super accurate. Astoundingly so.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started to. Then I did the math on it and decided that if I wanted to shoot 17, I'd just shoot and reload my .17 Rem. for not much difference in cost. If the rimfire ammo was cheaper, I'd probably have an HMR.
    I have a ton of calibers to choose from, even more so in the varmint range. The .17 Rem is a pleasure to shoot when it is calm. You can pull trigger, see the flash through the scope, and 300 yards away watch the prairie dog explode. But, it is completely useless once the Kansas/Oklahoma winds pick up. So useless in fact that one particularly windy day, I switched to shooting a 10/22 instead and had a higher hit percentage. I suppose with the design of the HMR intended for probably less than 200 yards, it may not matter as much.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started to. Then I did the math on it and decided that if I wanted to shoot 17, I'd just shoot and reload my .17 Rem. for not much difference in cost. If the rimfire ammo was cheaper, I'd probably have an HMR.
    I have a ton of calibers to choose from, even more so in the varmint range. The .17 Rem is a pleasure to shoot when it is calm. You can pull trigger, see the flash through the scope, and 300 yards away watch the prairie dog explode. But, it is completely useless once the Kansas/Oklahoma winds pick up. So useless in fact that one particularly windy day, I switched to shooting a 10/22 instead and had a higher hit percentage. I suppose with the design of the HMR intended for probably less than 200 yards, it may not matter as much.

+1

Its like a 22 Mag, I can shoot my 22 K Hornet cheaper and its a better round.

I love my 17 Remington. Its an old Rem 700 BDL back when they had SS Barrels. I really baby it never shoot long strings, keep the barrel cool. Its killed a Bus load of stuff.

Another great alternative would be a 17/221 fireball.
    RLTW

• westernMDhunterwesternMDhunter Member Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Walmart has the Savage A17 clearance priced for $184 at most stores. No better time than now to pick one up.
  • Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Savage has problems like the magazine dropping out and FTF, etc. easily found on the net 'savage a17 problems'

Here is an Excel Arms .17 HMR pistol for sale: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/814886935
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.

• KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quick&Dead wrote:
    The Savage has problems like the magazine dropping out and FTF, etc. easily found on the net 'savage a17 problems'

Here is an Excel Arms .17 HMR pistol for sale: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/814886935

Woah...............................................................................$799 BIN? Dayum. Proud of it, aren't they?
  • Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quick&Dead wrote:

Woah...............................................................................$799 BIN? Dayum. Proud of it, aren't they?

It's been relisted .... possibly could be opening bid wins?

However the $50 for shipping seems a bit on the high side IMO.
    ;)